Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Funtastic February!

@KaySDwrote:

I really appreciate your comments @Oshare-girl. I'm a woman on a mission, now, to fully understand how I feel about it everything I own, and about where I am keeping it. That sounds a bit vague, I know. I'm focusing on understanding, not on keeping or getting rid of things, both of which are okay, but what I'm after is feeling really good about it either way. I don't know if I've said that clearly...

@KaySD

I understand what you’re saying.  That’s one of the missions of this thread, I believe.  Not even to necessarily downsize, or get rid of things, but to realize what you have, why you have it, and what it means to you to have it.

For instance, for a number of reasons, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am no longer going to try to actively declutter my surroundings of things.  (I am going to continue to try to declutter my mind, but that is an entirely diffferent subject!)  That’s not to say I’m going to stop pitching things, but only as I come across stuff that no longer has a place in my life, not as a military mission that if isn’t done properly has failed.

What I am going to concentrate on, however, are the things (and people) that end up coming into my life.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, @geezerette! I forget who it was that said it's not what you get rid of, it's what you keep that matters. I love the positive spin that gives the whole issue, don't you?

Meanwhile, today I sorted a category of books collected over a period of years when I had an interest in the subject; I stacked 17 out of 51 books (about a third) to donate to the library--a nice collection in itself--and still kept everything I might want to consult again. It felt just right. 

I also took took everything out of my very small pantry cupboard, tossed a few things, reorganized a bit, and now know exactly what I have. And I sorted a pile of recipes. Those were two muddles that had gotten behind, and it felt good to catch up, though it wasn't very much about downsizing. 

My mission is still to keep going, whatever it takes, until everything I have has a specific place it goes.

Hey, @just bee, how about march mayhem? That's the stage between beginning to make changes and finishing...

Respected Contributor

@just beewrote:

@aprilskies

@geezerette

Federal Witness Protection Program, perhaps?

Hope you two are doing well and that I have no reason to be such a paranoid freak.  You know me -- I worry excessively.

Thanks for thinking of us, JB.  All is well. I havent been online a whole lot lately. A bit stressed out from work and I get home and feel like a zombie.  I think I need to start going for a walk when I get home to freshen up from the day and shake things off.  I havent been handling it as well as I would like.

Respected Contributor

@geezerettewrote:

@just bee

I’m still here, on occasion.  Things have been a bit upside down around here lately.  The old geezer is sick.  I think he got this flu going around and it is affecting his heart and breathing.  He has fought heart failure for decades, and the flu this year is especially rough.  At his age and with his other health problems, when he gets down this bad, I always worry my head off.  So besides being in a panic, I’ve also had more work to do around here along with waiting on him and just haven’t had the time, energy or desire to come into the forums much.

Add to that, the flooding rains we got last week, and I’m pretty disgusted with lots of things right now.  We weren’t affected much, other than our driveway washing out, thanks to the county that never got around to replacing the road culverts by our property last summer like they were supposed to.  Oh yes, and The Monster Dog who needed to be not wiped or rinsed off, but actually washed each time she went outside and then came in, which of course was at least a dozen times a day.

February is is turning out to be not so “Funtastic” for me.

Omgosh, so sorry to hear about Mr. G.  I hope he is recovering and on his way to better health. This flu has been rough.  They are rough anyway, but this one sure is a kicker.  I hope you are taking care of yourself as well.  ugh, and the puppy needing a bath everytime, phew, that takes the patience and resolve of a saint. Smiley Happy I have glad they have you to take care of them.  I hope all is well, @geezerette.  Best wishes for better days.

Respected Contributor

I havent done any major decluttering but I have been doing a little bit here and there.  All I can do for now.  After two major declutters over the last 10 years, I cant seem to get myself to hop in again full throttle.  However, I have been getting rid of things as I go along.  Clothes as I wear them, either I dont like them anymore, they have seen better days or they just dont fit right.  Games and such that I will never use again, etc.  I am also trying to go through kitchen gadgets, but this one is tough for me.  Why is that?  I have also organized and decluttered my coat closet.  I had broken collectibles that I swore I was going to fix, um no, gone, other various things.  I could of probably let go of more, but easy does it.  I am known to be hasty when I declutter.  Now I open it and I feel lighter and better.  Now I can maybe put other things in there because I freed up some space.  I keep a donation bag/box and put things in as I go.  But, it is crazy what I thought I had to have and ended up never using. 

I dont know, I finally feel my love affair with skincare and mu is over.  I say that gently, of course.  That doesnt mean I will not buy anything or dont enjoy it, but I dont feel like I chase the next greatest thing any longer.  What a great feeling. How many years did that take and how many dollars later, phew.  I have also limited/stopped my beauty youtube viewing for various reasons.  I could dive into this but I will spare everyone my philosophy and revelations. Woman LOL

One thing that has become clear to me is that, I dont use or reach for what I think.  I may at one point need to toss a whole bunch of stuff.  Painful but necessary. We'll see. 

HEP - well, that has been in the dumpster.  But, I am starting to get rid of a lot of things.  I have finally accepted the fact I just cant have stuff around. I cant seem to help myself. So, I am slowly decluttering my kitchen cabinets.  Next up is candy and I am currently having a debate with myself.  It seems to be the classic case of devil vs angel on each shoulder.  But, at least, I started to exercise a bit.  I started yesterday. I am not able to do a whole lot but I need to start somewhere.  Warmer days are coming in a couple of months and I want to be able to fit into my summer clothes this year.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

Thank you for your kind words.  I really need them.  The Old Geezer is in the hospital.  Turns out he didn’t have the flu after all.  Unfortunately, it appears he had a heart attack instead.  And the prognosis is not good.  His heart is very weak and only working at about 15%.  The doctor was talking catherization, stents, and bypass—all of which the OG refused.  So, I don’t even know if I’ll be bringing him home or not.

I haven’t slept in days and my stomach has been in a constant knot.  I can’t face this.  It can’t be happening, but it is.

Add to all that, it’s been raining for days and we have flooding everywhere.  Our drive has washed out by the road and our cars can’t get out.  I have to drive the old truck to see my dying husband in the hospital.  It’s still raining now, so I don’t know if I’ll even be able to get out at all tomorrow.  I wish this whole post was a horrible stupid joke, but it’s not.

😩😭

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerettewrote:

@aprilskies

Thank you for your kind words.  I really need them.  The Old Geezer is in the hospital.  Turns out he didn’t have the flu after all.  Unfortunately, it appears he had a heart attack instead.  And the prognosis is not good.  His heart is very weak and only working at about 15%.  The doctor was talking catherization, stents, and bypass—all of which the OG refused.  So, I don’t even know if I’ll be bringing him home or not.

I haven’t slept in days and my stomach has been in a constant knot.  I can’t face this.  It can’t be happening, but it is.

Add to all that, it’s been raining for days and we have flooding everywhere.  Our drive has washed out by the road and our cars can’t get out.  I have to drive the old truck to see my dying husband in the hospital.  It’s still raining now, so I don’t know if I’ll even be able to get out at all tomorrow.  I wish this whole post was a horrible stupid joke, but it’s not.

😩😭

@geezerette, omgosh, I am saddened to hear about the old geezer.  I hope that he holds strong and finds a way back to you.  What a difficult time you are going through and the weather isnt helping. I hope you find your way to the hospital so you can see him and be near him.  I will hold both of you in my prayers.  Sending warm healing thoughts for the old geezer.

((((((HUG)))))) (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) ((((((HUG)))))

Please be sure to post as much as you can. We are here for you.  Miracles do happen and I am wishing one for you.   

Please take care of yourself!!  Keeping you and the old geezer in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette

This is not the post I’d expected or wanted to see when I got home from work this morning.  I thought I’d already heard some of the worst things in the past twelve hours, but this makes everything else seem insignificant.

The sentiment of “thoughts and prayers” has taken a lot of abuse lately but when someone is facing a situation and can barely even form a sentence, sometimes all they can muster are their thoughts and prayers. 

I know this is something that you’ve thought about and dreaded and there’s nothing that can prepare you for the next step in this process.  Every phone call is like a punch in the stomach.

For now, be safe and be there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Positive thoughts and prayer have been the best means available, since the beginning of time, to transform darkness to light.

-- Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens… formerly Steven Demetre Georgiou)

No matter which version said it, he makes a good point.

@geezerette

Just know we're thinking about you.  And praying for both of you.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~