Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Doable December!

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Yep.  I thought I had found a good under-moisturizer “serum” in the argan oil “milk”, but as I am using it and it’s aging, I find it’s separating.  I also found that the WEN dry oil I bought for my hair is a good, if not better, substitute, and I can use it for more than one purpose which is a definite plus in my book.  

Looks like I have another auto-delivery to cancel.

@geezerette

I'm auditioning three different products.  Two are oil blends from Lumene and one is basic argan oil from Acure Organics.  I don't want to stockpile oils because I just tossed a very large bottle of castor oil and I should toss a very large bottle of jojoba but I just can't bring myself to do it.  But I'm not using it so why am I keeping it?

I like the Lumene products but they've been disappearing from websites.  And they're not cheap.

I'm just going to try to relax and enjoy what I have and stretch this audition through the cold, dry winter months.  We'll see what happens.

Do I even need oils?  That is the question.

@just bee

I don’t think I need oils, but then I don’t need most of what I buy and already own.  That’s a whole ‘nother thread itself.  I do find that the argan oil/milk seems to give my complexion a more refined appearance.  (You notice I’m using the whole “appearance” line, just the the propaganda.)  And I don’t get the dry patches on my face like it do when I don’t use it.  

But I don’t think I will need it or use it during the warmer months at all.  So it’s just going to be something I use for a few months, meaning I only need to buy a small bottle and use it up in one season.  No more supersize.  Also, I just get plain lazy and have already gotten tired of the extra step.  Because I’ve found I can’t use an oil instead of a moisturizer.

But I’m not as dry as you are, and I sure don’t live in the same dry climate.  You may very well find benefits to using oils.  Determining whether it’s a “need” or just the “product of the moment” in the beauty industry is the key.

@geezerette

Wise words.  Like I said, I'm still auditioning.  These products are going to have to do a little extra to earn a spot in my linen closet.

Just like Hollywood.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Yep.  I thought I had found a good under-moisturizer “serum” in the argan oil “milk”, but as I am using it and it’s aging, I find it’s separating.  I also found that the WEN dry oil I bought for my hair is a good, if not better, substitute, and I can use it for more than one purpose which is a definite plus in my book.  

Looks like I have another auto-delivery to cancel.

@geezerette

I'm auditioning three different products.  Two are oil blends from Lumene and one is basic argan oil from Acure Organics.  I don't want to stockpile oils because I just tossed a very large bottle of castor oil and I should toss a very large bottle of jojoba but I just can't bring myself to do it.  But I'm not using it so why am I keeping it?

I like the Lumene products but they've been disappearing from websites.  And they're not cheap.

I'm just going to try to relax and enjoy what I have and stretch this audition through the cold, dry winter months.  We'll see what happens.

Do I even need oils?  That is the question.

@just bee

I don’t think I need oils, but then I don’t need most of what I buy and already own.  That’s a whole ‘nother thread itself.  I do find that the argan oil/milk seems to give my complexion a more refined appearance.  (You notice I’m using the whole “appearance” line, just the the propaganda.)  And I don’t get the dry patches on my face like it do when I don’t use it.  

But I don’t think I will need it or use it during the warmer months at all.  So it’s just going to be something I use for a few months, meaning I only need to buy a small bottle and use it up in one season.  No more supersize.  Also, I just get plain lazy and have already gotten tired of the extra step.  Because I’ve found I can’t use an oil instead of a moisturizer.

But I’m not as dry as you are, and I sure don’t live in the same dry climate.  You may very well find benefits to using oils.  Determining whether it’s a “need” or just the “product of the moment” in the beauty industry is the key.

@geezerette

Wise words.  Like I said, I'm still auditioning.  These products are going to have to do a little extra to earn a spot in my linen closet.

Just like Hollywood.

@just bee

Nope. Uh uh.  Ain’t gonna catch me on that one.  Not gonna touch it.

Honored Contributor

@just bee

You may already do this, but I forgot to mention that I also use oil to remove foundation (when I wore it) or spf.  I use the Huggies wipes that you suggested to wipe it off.  It leaves my skin soft and more hydrated than a plain wipe, but without the greasy residue when you apply oil as a leave-on.  

This is also a good way to use up the oils you don’t like or can’t quite bring yourself to toss out.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Fascinating to see people spend $$$ beauty clothes not care for what goes inside their body. Truth be told I used to be that person. Now im completely the opposite spend so little on clothes and makeup. Think when someone is healthy physically and emotionally more aware of why you feel you need items. This of course is my opinion.

@Sweet_Serenity I agree with your opinion.  When I'm feeling poorly about my body, that's when I start shopping for things that don't need to "fit" like purses and makeup.  Not clothes, because it's just depressing when I have to go up a size.  And another thing, shoes seem to still fit so I buy those too.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Fascinating to see people spend $$$ beauty clothes not care for what goes inside their body. Truth be told I used to be that person. Now im completely the opposite spend so little on clothes and makeup. Think when someone is healthy physically and emotionally more aware of why you feel you need items. This of course is my opinion.

@Sweet_Serenity I agree with your opinion.  When I'm feeling poorly about my body, that's when I start shopping for things that don't need to "fit" like purses and makeup.  Not clothes, because it's just depressing when I have to go up a size.  And another thing, shoes seem to still fit so I buy those too. 

Helps a lot having this thread. Thank you for your courage sharing.💓

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd

Regarding Hourglass and other "luxury" brands, I doubt that I would make such a serious investment in one product.  I'd rather invest in a variety of less expensive products that will also sit unused. Woman Wink

I haven't worn makeup in over a month and all I can think is that I started a new tube of Full 'N Soft mascara in October and only got a month's use out of it before I did the faceplant and broke my hand.  I'm stressing over cheap mascara. 

And I have to thank all of you for sticking with the ComPact.  It's been a good place to come and chat and sort things out.

@just bee You said it!  I think that it really doesn't matter what price point the product is at as long as it is being USED and enjoyed.  I panned the Hourglass Ambient Lighting palette and by the end, I couldn't wait for it to be gone.  Luxury or not, in the end it was one of those products that I could live without.  On the other hand, I have a lip balm by Kari Gran which I think is pricey but I absolutely love it and have finished one without even trying.  It was one product that I repurchased without a second thought and I'm still enjoying it.

I've found that when I have to force myself to use something it means that 1) I don't really need it and 2) I'm going to end up hating it along the way.  That's really helped me to purchase with more intention.  The new things still call to me but I'm trying to stick with the tried & true until it inevitably gets discontinued.

And thank you for keeping this thread going.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Now that I have time to actually sift through all this beauty email and see the holiday offers, I can see why this is such a stressful time of year.  The sales are relentless.  Just when you think the prices can't get any lower, they do.

I really don't know why I fall for this.  I worked in retail for years and knew the game.

Anyway, I'm giving a lot more thought to the sale prices versus regular prices.  I know it's been discussed here but it's really kinda sticking lately.  I noticed the prices dropped even lower on a couple Lumene items I like and I started thinking that I should take advantage so I could have a couple extra in the stash.

But I kept thinking about the actual price.  No way in Hades would I pay full price for these items I think I love.

Is there something you have that you're willing to pay full price for?  Besides food?

I am willing to pay for Renova.  It works.

Respected Contributor

@just bee- I broke down last year and ordered a couple of oils from Shea Moisture because my skin was so dry I couldn't stand it. I ordered Argon and Baobob I believe. I used them a few times but I wasn't terribly impressed. For me, it seemed like the oils didn't absorb, just sat on my skin and made it feel greasy all night. But then when I woke up in the morning my skin felt dry. It was really weird. I had tried the Argon before but I thought the Baobob might be different but I didn't really notice a difference. I haven't pulled them out yet this year, I probably will later on this winter. If I still don't care for them I might just try to use them mixed in with my body lotion. So many people rave about oils I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, using too much, using the wrong cleanser so they don't absorb well, or maybe it's just me. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

You may already do this, but I forgot to mention that I also use oil to remove foundation (when I wore it) or spf.  I use the Huggies wipes that you suggested to wipe it off.  It leaves my skin soft and more hydrated than a plain wipe, but without the greasy residue when you apply oil as a leave-on.  

This is also a good way to use up the oils you don’t like or can’t quite bring yourself to toss out.  

@geezerette

Now that's an idea.  Aren't those Huggies the best?  I just have to figure out if that jojoba's gone bad...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@geezerette- I just posted that I have a couple of oils here that I'm not sure if I care for them or not, and they're good size bottles, I think 1.7 oz each. I don't have any wipes here, but do you know if I could just use the oils as an oil cleanser, like people use joboba or castor oil? I never even thught of that as an option, but it sounds like a good idea, I actually use plain old coconut oil as a cleanser half the time.