Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:
I've exercised, DD cleaned the kitchen, school lunches are made, and I am waiting for the Democratic debate. Woo hoo! Maybe I'll make popcorn.

Haven't had a chance to watch it -- I've been working and trying to crank out my final class.  Hope I get some time tomorrow to do something else.  Although I did manage to do something Friday night: I saw Meat Loaf in concert.  But today will be a mad dash to get three assignments turned in on time.  Four weeks to go...

I would have rather seen Meat Loaf.  No comment on the debate.  Thank goodness there is a full year before I need to figure out who will get my vote.  At this point, I am considering voting for my cat as a write-in candidate.

Give me your cat's name.  I'll vote that way, too.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@brownidgirl wrote:

Just discovered this thread.  Yea for us!  I've been whittling down on mu, clothes, the freezer & pantry since this summer.  It just makes sense to not put my savings on my face or in my tummy if I don't have to.  I'm looking forward to following this group!

Welcome to the ComPact!

Welcome!  Are you using a Sharpie to date items?  It really works!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Oshare-girl wrote: 

I may actually be able to make a dent in my eyeshadow collection before the year 2020.  I also have ZERO lipgloss.  I know, mindblowing.Smiley Surprised

I have a notebook where I write down everything I use, start & end date.  It's mind-boggling how many products are on that list and I still haven't gotten my stash down to the capsule I'm aiming for.  DH keeps asking what I'm writing in that notebook.  Nothing that would interest him, it's just my life-changing habit.

I like that!  It is a life-changing habit.  But it really does get easier.  Have you noticed, though, that by changing to a ComPacting habit, other habits have changed, too?

It definitely has caused other change to happen.  I have benn cooking so much more.  We don't eat out as much.  I can't stand to see food going unused in my pantry, refrigerator and freezer.  I am more conscious of everything.  I know what we will eat.  What we will use.  That I hate wearing lipgloss.  And now I don't buy those things.  Whereas in the past, I would have bought it thinking I should like it or that I would eat it or use it or make it.  I have a better understanding of my limits.  And I have acceptance of them too.

Exactly!  You learn what you like and don't like, need and don't need.  And you'll discover how restaurant food isn't as good as you thought it was.  (What's with all the salt?)

Honored Contributor

belleandme wrote:

keep the old tshirt!!  i have one i am hand washing, lol, cause i dont want the holes to get bigger; /  makes sense to me. 

been reducing and downloading.  feeling liberated from not buying!! 

you guys still in arizona?  i think of youall when we are in a drought (like we are now). 

looking forward to some down time soon.  more stuff to purge!  have you seen the tiny house movement stuff???  its my dream.  zero stuff.  pull a tiny house out into the country somewhere.  lol, with a big shed for food storage ; /

The shirt has survived another wash cycle.  Maybe I'll give it the rest of 2015 to completely disintegrate.

Nope -- New Mexico.  Think Albuquerque.  Bugs Bunny, The Road Runner, and Wile E. Coyote.  And it's been raining all week!

When they changed the forums and we lost most of our posts, I stopped keeping track of our philosopedia.  The complete list of items disappeared from the forum so I just gave up on it.  Of course, I've pretty much given up on philosophy.  I still buy and use pure grace spritz, but I made the mistake of buying a couple other spritzes and they just don't work for me.  Fresh cream is way too musky.  Haven't bought shower gels in YEARS and I still have plenty in the closet.  Crazy!

I still can't help think that I'm destined to sell my house and live in a trailer surrounded by plastic flamingoes wearing seasonal clothing.

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

I saw the Beach Boys back in the early 80's.  It was the saddest concert I have ever been to.  They played in a football stadium that was so small it barely qualified as a stadium.  The band was on the field, and they performed facing one side of the bleachers that was not full.  They did not set up a lot of equipment, so the sound wasn't strong.  Fortunately, things have changed, and more older bands are now respected and can attract a crowd.  They are a great band with a ton of hits.  I would love to see them, again.

That's how Better-half remembers them.  Refers to the Beach Boys as a "Great America" band because so many of the "oldies" groups ended up playing at amusement parks.  He is right about one thing.  Great and America.  The Beach Boys contributed so much and changed the world.  Everyone wanted to live in California and learn to surf.  Great songs.

Better-half wanted to see Red Fang, Wild Throne and another band whose name I can't type here because it won't get past the censors.  I fell asleep early and we missed them.  I think he's still annoyed.

Trusted Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@dosey wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Shopping for her birthday gift made me realize how much more thought I put into purchases.  We got her some socks and a tshirt in her favorite characters and she was thrilled.  It wasn't the cell phone she really wants (middle school peer pressure) but she was thrilled none the less with what she got.  I'm so grateful that I started ComPacting while the kids are young.  They really appreciate the things they have.

I am caving to the pressure  Smiley LOL and giving my 13 yo DD a cell phone for Christmas.  She attends a small, high-tech school, and devices have been incorporated into the classroom.  Most of her projects and papers are done on the computer, transmitted to her teachers, and graded using grading apps.  Whenever the teacher tells the class to get out their devices, she and one other student are the only ones who have to borrow the school's old ipad.  I was going to buy her a smart phone for her birthday before she starts high school. so this is just a few months earlier.  It is so hard to teach kids to appreciate what they have when expensive technology has become mainstream.

My DD is the last of her group of friends without a cell phone.  I refuse to get her one right now.  I told her she needs to learn how to use her paper planner and a watch first.  In other words, be where she's supposed to be at the right time.  There used to be a time when we all didn't have cell phones and we survived.  There were more pay phones around but most of us had to be at the designated meeting place at the designated time.  Her school is part of a pilot project where each child has their own laptop to use in school so we've been lucky that we haven't had to provide our own device.

My DS on the other hand did bring home a note saying that he is allowed to bring a mobile device to school to use in a certain class.  He's only 10 and I said no way.  What if it got lost or stolen?  I must not have been the only one because another note came home later saying that the school would provide the devices for the kids.  It's a small class so they have enough for them to use.

I'm going to stand strong as long as I can.  

I think it is great that you are standing by your decision.  My kids have agendas that we require them to use.  I think it is easier to write assignments and notes in a book.  And I understand your fear of things being stolen.  My DS's water bottle was stolen after he left it in a classroom.  Also, his belt was stolen during P.E. because he forgot to put it in his locker.  A smart phone is much more tempting than a belt or bottle.  We carry the phone insurance, but there is still a deductible.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@belleandme wrote:

keep the old tshirt!!  i have one i am hand washing, lol, cause i dont want the holes to get bigger; /  makes sense to me. 

been reducing and downloading.  feeling liberated from not buying!! 

you guys still in arizona?  i think of youall when we are in a drought (like we are now). 

looking forward to some down time soon.  more stuff to purge!  have you seen the tiny house movement stuff???  its my dream.  zero stuff.  pull a tiny house out into the country somewhere.  lol, with a big shed for food storage ; /

The shirt has survived another wash cycle.  Maybe I'll give it the rest of 2015 to completely disintegrate.

Nope -- New Mexico.  Think Albuquerque.  Bugs Bunny, The Road Runner, and Wile E. Coyote.  And it's been raining all week!

When they changed the forums and we lost most of our posts, I stopped keeping track of our philosopedia.  The complete list of items disappeared from the forum so I just gave up on it.  Of course, I've pretty much given up on philosophy.  I still buy and use pure grace spritz, but I made the mistake of buying a couple other spritzes and they just don't work for me.  Fresh cream is way too musky.  Haven't bought shower gels in YEARS and I still have plenty in the closet.  Crazy!

I still can't help think that I'm destined to sell my house and live in a trailer surrounded by plastic flamingoes wearing seasonal clothing.

I love those tiny homes!

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

I saw the Beach Boys back in the early 80's.  It was the saddest concert I have ever been to.  They played in a football stadium that was so small it barely qualified as a stadium.  The band was on the field, and they performed facing one side of the bleachers that was not full.  They did not set up a lot of equipment, so the sound wasn't strong.  Fortunately, things have changed, and more older bands are now respected and can attract a crowd.  They are a great band with a ton of hits.  I would love to see them, again.

That's how Better-half remembers them.  Refers to the Beach Boys as a "Great America" band because so many of the "oldies" groups ended up playing at amusement parks.  He is right about one thing.  Great and America.  The Beach Boys contributed so much and changed the world.  Everyone wanted to live in California and learn to surf.  Great songs.

Better-half wanted to see Red Fang, Wild Throne and another band whose name I can't type here because it won't get past the censors.  I fell asleep early and we missed them.  I think he's still annoyed.

I know which band you are talking about.  Yeah, you can't type that name on this board.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dosey wrote:

I know which band you are talking about.  Yeah, you can't type that name on this board.

I always suspected you were a headbanger!  These bands are really not my cup of tea, but I drag Better-half to the shows I want to see so I guess I should have made more of an effort.  I had thought about it, but between napping and watching the Cubs lose... well, I was busy.

Honored Contributor

red pandas

Speaking of the Cubs...

I always toyed with the idea of naming dogs Addison and Clark, but the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago has beaten me to it.  No, these are not dogs, but they are Addison and Clark -- the red pandas.