Honored Contributor

Re: Collagen Powder supplement

@claros wrote:

SilleeMee, how long did you take the silica before you saw a difference in bone density?   I've been taking it about a year now and will be doing a scan soon.  I'm hoping for an improvement in my #s.

@claros 

It was at least a year between my scans so I can safely say at least a year. I hope the silica will prove to be beneficial for you and that your BD scan comes back good.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I take the silica daily as well, I just add it to my coffee in the morning.

Honored Contributor

I took the silica for about 9 months I think before my scan.  I previously had been told I was osteopenia.  Dr. wanted me to get that expensive shot, but insurance won't cover it.  I did take calcium citrate powder mixed with Magnesium glycinate that I mixed in with my yogurt.  I just can't take the calcium pills and the chewable types are the wrong type of calcium.  I stopped the calcium/Magnesium when I started with the silica.  My scan came back good with no osteopenia.  I did stop taking it after my scan.  There's a warning that maybe you shouldn't take it if you have thyroid disease, which I do; but, I could find absolutely nothing about that except a study using mice.  

Honored Contributor

Silica is an ingredient in a couple of my supplements.  👍

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I took the silica for about 9 months I think before my scan.  I previously had been told I was osteopenia.  Dr. wanted me to get that expensive shot, but insurance won't cover it.  I did take calcium citrate powder mixed with Magnesium glycinate that I mixed in with my yogurt.  I just can't take the calcium pills and the chewable types are the wrong type of calcium.  I stopped the calcium/Magnesium when I started with the silica.  My scan came back good with no osteopenia.  I did stop taking it after my scan.  There's a warning that maybe you shouldn't take it if you have thyroid disease, which I do; but, I could find absolutely nothing about that except a study using mice.  

Really?  I have Hashimoto's and never heard that.  I have been taking the silica from either NOW brand or Solaray for 6 months or more now and love it.  I notice my nails are better also.  Along with the collagen I supplement and cal/mag I am hoping my osteopenia either gets better or I simply hold here forever LOL!  That is encouraging that your scan improved to the normal range with only 9 months of use...amazing.