Honored Contributor

Changing Hair Stylists Again

For two reasons.  My last hair cut was a bad one.  Cutting the hair around the ear with scissors instead of using the electric clippers that give a clean cut.   Also cutting the sides of the hair wrong so it flips up on one side.  And, I was going to a downtown area and now I will be in a more small mall area with a big parking lot.  It is so hard to find a decent hair stylist that can cut hair.  I find that as much as you pay for a cut, the professionalism and experience are not there.  Anyone dissatisfied?  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: Changing Hair Stylists Again

I wear my hair very short, cut around the ears, spiky on top. I go to a barber shop. $10. He does an excellent job. No high priced salons for me.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1wrote:

For two reasons.  My last hair cut was a bad one.  Cutting the hair around the ear with scissors instead of using the electric clippers that give a clean cut.   Also cutting the sides of the hair wrong so it flips up on one side.  And, I was going to a downtown area and now I will be in a more small mall area with a big parking lot.  It is so hard to find a decent hair stylist that can cut hair.  I find that as much as you pay for a cut, the professionalism and experience are not there.  Anyone dissatisfied?  Cat Tongue

@Katcat1  It’s a toss up....I hate bad haircuts, but I hate going to a new stylist and hopefully breaking them in. 

Honored Contributor

I had been going to the same guy (#1) every six weeks for almost 10 years.  In 2016,  he became annoying ... acting like he "owned my head."

I tried a new salon that opened a couple of blocks away.  Tried them twice.  While the haircuts were good for a few weeks ... they were awful growing in.  Male stylists.  (#2 and #3)

In December, I was at a women's group luncheon ... and conversation got around to hair stylists.  I got a recommendation and I'm now going to an older female stylist (#4) who I'm happy with.  She's cut my hair three time and it looks decent while growing out.  So far, so good.  

Years ago - I had a female stylist who was wonderful.  Went to her for years ... she retired and then I went to her sister who also retired eventually.  That's when I found #1 above.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I can tell you that being a hair stylist is like being a painter.  You can send five different people to school to learn to paint.  They are are in the same class with the same instructor.

If  everyone paints the same thing, there will be no two alike.  The instructor can only teach so much.  Your actual talent is inherited.

Hair stylists are the same way.  All schools teach differently and they only teach the basic stuff so you can pass your state boards.  Some stylists are good at color, but don’t cut well.  Others are great stylists, but can’t color worth a darn.

Everyone has a different talent.  Some stylist cut with shears, some with a razor and others with a clipper.  Some are great with curly hair, some with straight hair.

You need to find a stylist who is good for what you want.  if you wear a short style, your stylist hopefully will specialize in short hair....many do not.

Many clients will go to one person to do the color and another for the cut and style.

It might take a while to find a stylist that can work well with your hair.  When you see someone with a great cut, ask her who does her hair.

i know it is frustrating.  Everyone runs into this.  That’s why women get upset when their perfect stylist moves, goes out of business or otherwise is no longer available.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I go to a barber shop run by women.  $14 a cut.  No frills.  They do a pretty decent job.  I've paid high prices at top salons and came out with uneven cuts.  It's horrible.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1Yes, I am dissatisfied! I'm switching too.

I have thick hair. There was a time when the beautician would section it out to cut it, and cut it in long layers and it looked great. I guess it takes too long to section it off now, and I feel odd suggesting they do it.

Also, they use to know what it meant to barely trim the ends, to trim without being able to tell they even cut it. The lady who did the best with my hair went thru a sort of midlife crisis I guess, and a divorce. I tried to stay with her, but I just couldn't do it. Aside from the hair looking horrid, she was overbooking, and I'd have to wait for her to cut one on a good day, three on a bad day, people ahead of me, then she would rush mine.

Respected Contributor

Who is teaching these hairstylists?  Do they even know what they're doing?  The last 20 years I've had the worst haircuts ever -- my DH also.

I was told hair permanents they don't teach in beauty school anymore.  They don't use hair curlers for a set, just a round brush and hair dryer.  

I'm not happy at all with my haircuts, color or style.  Everyone doesn't wear the same trends in hairstyles. 

I'm shocked at some of the haircuts I've gotten and so tired of trying someone new all the time.  

Respected Contributor

I am 67 and can only think of about 3 stylists that were real stylists. Most learn a few cuts and that is what you will get no matter what you tell them.  It seems the longer you go to one and the friendlier you are the worse it gets.  I seem to have to go home and even it out.  A good stylist would be able to look at your hair and your face and kind of adapt the style you want to you.

I remember a lady who had just moved here asked if I knew of a stylist that could give her something other than the Florida old lady haircut...

Super Contributor

wow I thought it was just me. My last haircut was almost 3 months ago and I am not happy with the how my hair looks since then. It is uneven and looks choppy. I have been using the same guy forever. Pulled out my old brush rollers on Sunday morning to make myself presentable for church. That helped.