Esteemed Contributor

Re: Changing Hair Stylists Again

Even going back to a stylist that does a perfect, or, at least, a decent job doesn't always work. Yes, very frustrating!

I've run the gamut -- expensive, cheap, and myself! When I've received the most compliments was when I did it myself! But it is a painstaking job!

I went to someone new last time, and still had to fix the areas we specifically talked about!

Hope the new stylist pleases you, @Katcat1!

Contributor

I thought I saw some type of hair kit at Walgreen's to help you cut your own hair.  I am really thinking about getting it.  I wonder has anybody used something like this and did you like the results?

Honored Contributor

The best stylists I’ve found, over the years, is by stopping women On the streets, malls, etc. who have a great cut....hair similar to mine...& asking them if they’d mind giving me the name of their stylist.

That’s not always a guarantee. I go in w/ an arm load of photos (mostly printed from Pinterest). I explain exactly what I want, the cuts I haven’t liked by others and why. I also let them know I’m looking to be a permanent client if the cuts remain good, if not I’ll be looking for someone else. Yep. That’s intimidating, but it’s my money & my hair that could take months of agony to recover from a botched cut. 

I also watch very carefully....no razors or thinning shears...they leave ragged edges and tear hair. Thinning my hair leaves a thin end of the layer (a wisp) that will not make a complete curl. There are some things you just learn about your own hair after decades...Feel free to share what you’ve learned.

If the cut is not good, I don’t go back for 2nd chances...Most likely, that stylist is not well trained.

Respected Contributor

I’m on my 3rd stylist in less than a year. I have short, wavy/curly hair that I don’t color, perm, etc. I don’t spend a lot of time styling it, so all I want is a good, simple haircut. Given the traffic in our area, one of my other requirements is that the salon must be close (within a few miles) to my home. The salon I was going to last year closed and my stylist moved to a salon that’s not that far away, but in a very congested area, so she was out. I then found someone a couple of miles away, but she had her own ideas of how my hair should look. After a few months of trying to work with her, I cut the cord. Both these stylists charged just under $40 for a shampoo and cut. I never liked the way they “finished” my hair and usually wound up going right home and washing it again so it looked the way I wanted it to look (a couple of times I felt like the Bride of Frankenstein). 

When I was looking for a new stylist, I realized that all I really need is a barber. Barbers have to be able to cut all types of men’s hair, usually without using complicated processes to achieve the desired result. All the women’s salons that came up in my google search provided all kinds of additional services that I didn’t need or want. The female barber who’s been cutting my husband’s hair for the past few years does a great job. He has a few frizzy areas to work through and she handles it well. So I went to her, armed with my pictures, and she did a great job. She spent a good 45 minutes “cleaning up” what the second stylist had done and only charged me $20. For the first time in years, I didn’t run home and stick my head under the shower. I hope this lasts!

Honored Contributor

I'm with a new stylist but it was an accident.  I was in desperate need of a color and cut.  I called in early February for a mid-March appointment and my normal stylist was booked until May.  They booked with another woman and she was fantastic.  Before I left I made an appointment for May with her.

The salon that I go to is very current.  Their stylists are required to attend shows and classes to keep up with all the current cuts, styles and color trends.  They regularly have training sessions in the salon where outside trainers come in and further their education.     

Honored Contributor

Why did you sit there and say nothing?   Why didn't you ask her to use the electric clippers as she was cutting your hair?   If the sides were what you wanted, why didn't you SAY something at the time so she could corrrect it?   It seems to me that you sat there quietly knowing full well that you didn't like what she was doing.....and said nothing.  Hairdressers can't read our minds.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

Why did you sit there and say nothing?   Why didn't you ask her to use the electric clippers as she was cutting your hair?   If the sides were what you wanted, why didn't you SAY something at the time so she could corrrect it?   It seems to me that you sat there quietly knowing full well that you didn't like what she was doing.....and said nothing.  Hairdressers can't read our minds.

@chrystaltree  So happy for you that all your salon experiences have been so perfect that you can criticize OP.  Shame on you for placing blame on a client expecting and paying for a professional service. No. Stylists can’t read minds. If they have inferior training, they should seek another profession. BTW, you never know how a cut is looking until it’s underway. When one side of the OP’s hair over the ear had been cut wrong, too late to do anything more than match up the other side.

Honored Contributor

I'm going thru all that again too. My hair girl of 15 years at least, had carpal tunnel surgery and decided not to go back to work. she was amazing with my color and cuts----found another lady that I liked, went to her 2x and now---she moved to AZ-------good lord!!!   

Honored Contributor

@wagirlwrote:

I'm going thru all that again too. My hair girl of 15 years at least, had carpal tunnel surgery and decided not to go back to work. she was amazing with my color and cuts----found another lady that I liked, went to her 2x and now---she moved to AZ-------good lord!!!   

Good luck in your search of a new stylist @wagirl.

Respected Contributor

My former niece has cut my hair for decades, and even though I'm now divorced from her uncle, she still continues to give me the "family" discount and let me buy salon products at her cost.  She works in one of the most expensive salons in the city and knows her stuff.  She has always done an above average job on my hair.  That being said, she is going through a nasty divorce, and I have to watch her like a hawk as she cuts my hair.  I go monthly, and I can tell that she's done my hair for so long that she kind of goes into "auto pilot" while I'm in the chair.  The color is still amazing, but I cannot get her to layer my hair enough on top, and the last time I got a Keratin treatment, I think she used too hot of a flat iron to seal it (again--kind of just going through the motions), and I had some damage.  

I am going Thursday and am getting a slightly different style.  I am armed with photos and will watch what she's doing as she's doing it to make sure she is staying on track.  Maybe if we don't talk about her divorce while she's doing it, she will do a better job.  lol  I say this tongue in cheek, because having been through divorce myself, I know how distracting it can be.  However, I have to "wear" what she does, so I will continue to be vigilant in monitoring what she's doing.

She has talked about moving when the dust settles, and I am not happy about that for selfish reasons.  I am already paying $120 every 5 weeks (cut, double process color, style, colors my brows, tip), and I can only imagine what it will cost to go to a different stylist who can replicate her color and (most of the time) good hair cuts/style.  Let alone having to buy salon products at full cost.  Smiley Sad