Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone know what and why you co-wash your hair?

@Trix wrote:

The term co-wash may have started by meaning to wash the hair using conditioner only. I first head the term back in the 80s when my hair was at the time chemically straightened.  Because I was using a lot of styling products at the time and shampooing 5 or 6 times per week, my stylist suggested that I only use shampoo once or twice, and only conditioner the other days.  He used the term conditioner wash. 

Lately, marketing companies for some haircare manufacturers-- which jumped on the popularity of Wen and came out with their own cleansing conditioners-- started using co-wash as a term for a cleansing conditioner product. 

That's what I thought.  I'm old enough to know there were no such products about ten years ago (or at least not that prevalent).  When a "new it thing" comes out of course, your're kind of skeptical as to whether it makes any sense.  At least "I" am anyway.

I've never used Wen products and didn't know they are all following his lead on this.  Thanks for your input @Trix.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@itiswhatitis Before switching to Wen about 3 years ago, I frequently washed my hair with Tresemme conditioners. Mostly, I used the conditioner alone but sometimes I'd add a pump of shampoo to several pumps of conditioner. Once in a great while, I'd shampoo, then condition. My hair was much less dry doing this, and if the time comes that I can no longer afford Wen, I'll go back to Tresemme! In all honesty, there is a bottle of Tresemme shampoo in my shower now---I must cleanse daily, even using Wen, and if I'm running really late, I'll mix in about 3 pumps of shampoo to 4 pumps of Wen. Wen takes a little more time, and mixing it with shampoo just makes the whole process faster!

Since you can use ANY conditioner to CO-wash, it's NOT a gimmick to part you from your money.

OK.  Thanks for taking the time to weigh in @vermint.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

Twenty years ago, my hair was very dry, like straw.  Back then, I used to wash every day. I had never heard of sulfate free products, but I looked for products that said said they were moisturizing, and cut back shampoo to every other day, while using conditioner only on the off days.  

My hair was much better, but still terribly dry.  By then, I'd heard of sulfate free products, and started using them.  Again, better, but not good enough.  It was bad enough that someone stopped me in a store and recommended a repair product (Ojon).

it's been a process and a battle to find products that work.  I've tried a products through the years that left my hair in better condition, but not behaving well.  About a month ago, I found a product line that I love (so far)!  (Hask Argon Oil shampoo and conditioner).

For the past several years, I also go longer .... two to four days .... without shampoo or conditioner ...   Depends on how sweaty my head gets when I walk and exercise.  My hair is in much better shape now.

Reading these posts, I've decided to again use only conditioner for every other wash, and see how that goes.

(Wen made my hair fall out.... couldn't use it.  BUT I'm very sensitive and/or allergic to a lot of things.)

I'm inquiring now because my hair in its natural state, takes a lot of work to keep it moisturized.  I have very little sheen to my hair and I need some help!!!! LOL

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

I am having good luck using a small amount of  Suave SLEEK shampoo massaged into my scalp and then before rinsing....I add Suave SLEEK conditioner to the mix and let it all soak in for about 10minutes before rinsing with warm then cool water.  

My Aunt gave me a wonderful microfiber hair dry towel that I wrap my hair in ala Turban. I have time to let my hair  *air dry* and do not use a hot hair dryer.  

I have long hair which is like owning a small pet.  (clean,feed,gently brush - repeat) 

CAT

@gacat123, I haven't used a blow dryer in years.  Not necessary for my hair!  Thanks for chiming in.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Because my hair is naturally curly & color treated, I read that CO washing was beneficial. I tried WEN for several years. The build up on my scalp made me have to use a sulfate free, silicone free shampoo every other time. I only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week (S&C). When I shower the other days, I just run a small amount of the conditioner (about a teaspoon) through my short, layered hair to add moisture. If you read about CO washing, there are many "recipes" w/ vinegar, etc. to rinse hair to clean scalp of extra build up of oils. That proved to me that something more than just conditioner was needed. To quote Nick Chavez: "A clean scalp means healthy hair"!

Wen isnt "just conditioner" its a cleansing conditioner which means it has cleansing ingredients included vs standard conditioner that doesnt.

Having build up on your scalp usually means you need to use more (its not a sales pitch, its very true), a more astringent formula, more water or you really need to get your fingers working.

People need to understand there are differences between standard conditioner (which requires the need for the recipes you mentioned) and cleansing conditioner (which does not). People also need to understand as I mentioned that when you no longer have the stripping chemicals of shampoo, you need to put your fingers to work.

I'm 9 yrs in and I do not have build up or residue on my scalp. I also use enough Wen, plenty of water and work my fingers.

@nikki48, I'm looking into buying a "cleansing conditioner."  I've been known to put treatments in my hair aside from conditioners.  I use to hot oil treat too.  That doesn't get me softer hair for the long term though.  

I appreciate all your insight!

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Because my hair is naturally curly & color treated, I read that CO washing was beneficial. I tried WEN for several years. The build up on my scalp made me have to use a sulfate free, silicone free shampoo every other time. I only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week (S&C). When I shower the other days, I just run a small amount of the conditioner (about a teaspoon) through my short, layered hair to add moisture. If you read about CO washing, there are many "recipes" w/ vinegar, etc. to rinse hair to clean scalp of extra build up of oils. That proved to me that something more than just conditioner was needed. To quote Nick Chavez: "A clean scalp means healthy hair"!

If I'm understanding all of this, basically there is no cleansing agent involved at all. The conditioner is to add moisture, not cleanse, right? So, if that's the case, all we really need to do is run clean, clear water through our hair to cleanse, using massaging motions with our fingertips. The conditioner is used simply to "condition". Actually, this all should make sense! In prehistoric times there was no soap (or conditioner) although I imagine they had discovered certain plant material that works like it! 

Anyway, my real Q is, is it necessary to even use the conditioner everytime, if one doesn't need the moisture as often? Has anyone done this, just rinsing hair really, really well, period? It would be a blessing for my color! Unless, I will cause some awful problems for my hair and scalp!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@ItsME wrote:

Twenty years ago, my hair was very dry, like straw.  Back then, I used to wash every day. I had never heard of sulfate free products, but I looked for products that said said they were moisturizing, and cut back shampoo to every other day, while using conditioner only on the off days.  

My hair was much better, but still terribly dry.  By then, I'd heard of sulfate free products, and started using them.  Again, better, but not good enough.  It was bad enough that someone stopped me in a store and recommended a repair product (Ojon).

it's been a process and a battle to find products that work.  I've tried a products through the years that left my hair in better condition, but not behaving well.  About a month ago, I found a product line that I love (so far)!  (Hask Argon Oil shampoo and conditioner).

For the past several years, I also go longer .... two to four days .... without shampoo or conditioner ...   Depends on how sweaty my head gets when I walk and exercise.  My hair is in much better shape now.

Reading these posts, I've decided to again use only conditioner for every other wash, and see how that goes.

(Wen made my hair fall out.... couldn't use it.  BUT I'm very sensitive and/or allergic to a lot of things.)

I'm inquiring now because my hair in its natural state, takes a lot of work to keep it moisturized.  I have very little sheen to my hair and I need some help!!!! LOL

I would bet the majority of posters grew up using Prell or Breck or something like that because there was not an entire drugstore aisle of products to choose from, and many of us used Johnsons No More Tangles afterwards to "condition" our hair. And I would also bet we had shiny, manageable hair. And that we swam in chlorinated pools and lakes and oceans and did not damage our hair so as to have to buy tons of products to heal it.

I think people jump on bandwagons and always come up with more and more products convincing us we need them or we won't have the desired effects we hoped for, or had when we were kids. 

Well, the truth of the matter is that hair, just like skin gets older as we do. Did you know the oldest part of your hair is the ends? Hair grows out of the scalp so if you don't cut your hair, your ends may be years old. The best way to take care of your hair is to keep the ends trimmed regularly and keep the scalp in good condition.

IMO. all these trends are unnecessary. WEN began because as Chaz said he saw women losing their haircolor soon after coloring because it got stripped away by shampoo. I have no research on this but I would think that if you color your hair and wash it everyday, even just with water, you are diluting that color day by day. 

Of course as women we are always looking for the latest and greatest products that will hold off Father time. Good that we have choices. I don't color my hair so I have no need for a product like WEN. I use a good shampoo (Acure) and once a week conditioner. My hair looks healthy and shiny. And I do get dry ends cut regularly. Not rocket science. But to each his own as to what works for you. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@ItsME wrote:

I would bet the majority of posters grew up using Prell or Breck or something like that because there was not an entire drugstore aisle of products to choose from, and many of us used Johnsons No More Tangles afterwards to "condition" our hair. And I would also bet we had shiny, manageable hair. And that we swam in chlorinated pools and lakes and oceans and did not damage our hair so as to have to buy tons of products to heal it.

I think people jump on bandwagons and always come up with more and more products convincing us we need them or we won't have the desired effects we hoped for, or had when we were kids. 

Well, the truth of the matter is that hair, just like skin gets older as we do. Did you know the oldest part of your hair is the ends? Hair grows out of the scalp so if you don't cut your hair, your ends may be years old. The best way to take care of your hair is to keep the ends trimmed regularly and keep the scalp in good condition.

IMO. all these trends are unnecessary. WEN began because as Chaz said he saw women losing their haircolor soon after coloring because it got stripped away by shampoo. I have no research on this but I would think that if you color your hair and wash it everyday, even just with water, you are diluting that color day by day. 

Of course as women we are always looking for the latest and greatest products that will hold off Father time. Good that we have choices. I don't color my hair so I have no need for a product like WEN. I use a good shampoo (Acure) and once a week conditioner. My hair looks healthy and shiny. And I do get dry ends cut regularly. Not rocket science. But to each his own as to what works for you. 

I'll take today's knowledge over that of my childhood. I would never use a shampoo as harsh as they had back then. And no, I was not unscathed by swimming in chlorinated pools. Even back then, most of us knew that you should rinse out as soon as possible. Now, did we do that? Probably not. But hair does suffer from those chemicals.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I did no poo many years ago. 

@jaxs mom

I would love to be that minimalistic to go 100% NoPoo!

I'm at 2-3x a week, depending on if I cycle.

Did you use baking soda/vinegar or lemon juice/cucumber or water only? 

How long did you maintain this process?   Or do you still do NoPoo?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I did no poo many years ago. 

@jaxs mom

I would love to be that minimalistic to go 100% NoPoo!

I'm at 2-3x a week, depending on if I cycle.

Did you use baking soda/vinegar or lemon juice/cucumber or water only? 

How long did you maintain this process?   Or do you still do NoPoo?

It was a really long time ago, back when I was in high school. I don't remember how long I did it for, it was a least a few months though? I did water only. I can't even remember why I quit. It does take awhile for your hair to adjust, as it's used to the oil stripping that shampoo does. I've used vinegar rinses though and I tried baking soda once, but baking soda is too harsh for my hair IMO. I might be able to do it now that I'm also doing coconut oil masks. 

I've been using Wen for a little over 4 years. Before that I was using shampoo and conditioner. I've been wanting to try the bentonite and rhassoul clays for cleansing, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  Soapnuts are also an option, but I'm not doing shampoo bars. A lot of the supposedly natural shampoo recipes are just castile soap with some added ingredients. @sidsmom

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval