Esteemed Contributor

Anyone know what and why you co-wash your hair?

Do any of you ladies do this?  If so, why?  Is this just another gimmick aimed at helping women part with their $$$ or is there a benefit to co-washing your hair?

Thanks in advance.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone know what and why you co-wash your hair?

[ Edited ]

What exactly would be the gimmick to get people to supposedly part with their money? The vast majority of people cowashing are using cheap easily available conditioners like suave. It's not a brand specific process. I did no poo many years ago. If you're interested in delving into alternative methods of cleansing hair, then I'd suggest looking at some of the dedicated haircare forums on the internet. Lots of in depth info out there on why and how. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

What in the heck is co-washing?  I wash my hair...period.

Esteemed Contributor

What is co-wash?!

Honored Contributor

Conditioner Only (CO-washing)

I just did it yesterday after we went paddle boarding. 

Anytime I'm in the bay, the ocean or the pool---all salt water which can dry my hair out.

Co washing one time *brings it back*, then the next time I use shampoo and conditioner.

I use Suzanne Organics conditioner.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Anytime I'm in the bay, the ocean or the pool---all salt water which can dry my hair out.

Co washing one time *brings it back*, then the next time I use shampoo and conditioner.

Oh...I thought it was washing your hair together with a friend......lol......things are getting stranger for me every day......guess it comes with being a senior........

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

What exactly would be the gimmick to get people to supposedly part with their money? The vast majority of people cowashing are using cheap easily available conditioners like suave. It's not a brand specific process. I did no poo many years ago. If you're interested in delving into alternative methods of cleansing hair, then I'd suggest looking at some of the dedicated haircare forums on the internet. Lots of in depth info out there on why and how. 

That it's a good idea or that there is a benefit to it.  I want to speak to women who are doing it and I'd like their feedback as to the benefience (if any) @jaxs mom.  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 That's what I want to know.  I've read articles in glamour and other online articles, but I have not heard anything from anyone who says this is beneficial for their hair.

Was hoping the "community" could assist!  If you don't know then I hope someone who does can come in and shed some light!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

You benefit from this!   Hoping to get a consensus from the beauty gals.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Do any of you ladies do this?  If so, why?  Is this just another gimmick aimed at helping women part with their $$$ or is there a benefit to co-washing your hair?

Thanks in advance.

Shampoo and harsh cleansers have been shown to strip your scalp and hair of needed moisture. This stripping can cause an overproduction of oil, overly dry scalp and hair (the mother of frizzy hair ) and brittle/ broken hair. What they found was that cleansing with conditioner alone allowed you to clean your scalp and hair (not as well as shampoo in some situations though) without stripping the moisture it needs.

Cleansing conditioners were created to address the issue of non cleansing ingredients in standard conditioners and overly harsh cleansing chemicals in shampoos. Its kind of a "best of both worlds" situation.

Remember when co-washing or using a cleansing conditioner, you no longer have stripping chemicals to rely on. Your fingers (pads, not nails) have to do some work but your scalp and hair maintain their natural balance (as long as its a good formula).

Many people are scared of the moisture (they run from natural oils) but remember, we were all created and lived in fluid for 9 months (many of us born with hair that has never been that thick since)... our bodies are used to and require a moisture balance (inside and out).

#IAmTeamWen