Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone know what and why you co-wash your hair?

No reason to. Maybe if I ran out of shampoo...

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

The term co-wash may have started by meaning to wash the hair using conditioner only. I first head the term back in the 80s when my hair was at the time chemically straightened.  Because I was using a lot of styling products at the time and shampooing 5 or 6 times per week, my stylist suggested that I only use shampoo once or twice, and only conditioner the other days.  He used the term conditioner wash. 

Lately, marketing companies for some haircare manufacturers-- which jumped on the popularity of Wen and came out with their own cleansing conditioners-- started using co-wash as a term for a cleansing conditioner product. 

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis Before switching to Wen about 3 years ago, I frequently washed my hair with Tresemme conditioners. Mostly, I used the conditioner alone but sometimes I'd add a pump of shampoo to several pumps of conditioner. Once in a great while, I'd shampoo, then condition. My hair was much less dry doing this, and if the time comes that I can no longer afford Wen, I'll go back to Tresemme! In all honesty, there is a bottle of Tresemme shampoo in my shower now---I must cleanse daily, even using Wen, and if I'm running really late, I'll mix in about 3 pumps of shampoo to 4 pumps of Wen. Wen takes a little more time, and mixing it with shampoo just makes the whole process faster!

Since you can use ANY conditioner to CO-wash, it's NOT a gimmick to part you from your money.

Honored Contributor

Look...I wear a wig when I leave my house.  I have hair but it is very thin, no bald, just very thin (especially in the front).

I wash my hair only once usually unless it doesn't feel clean, then I wash it again.  I've never been one to pay attention to what everyone else is doing...well sometimes I do just so I can pump up myself by saying, "Humph!  I'm smarter than (insert name) because I do this or that".  It doesn't mean I'm right, it's my way of satisfying myself as to why I do this or that against the flow.

I would HOPE others do similarly (wash their hair until it feels clean to THEM).

I know with a wig you can take it off and see how dirty it gets (air pollution).  So, you obviously can't take off your real hair, you can feel it (I guess your scalp).

In summary.  Most people wash it until they think it's clean whatever their version of clean is.  

Respected Contributor

Twenty years ago, my hair was very dry, like straw.  Back then, I used to wash every day. I had never heard of sulfate free products, but I looked for products that said said they were moisturizing, and cut back shampoo to every other day, while using conditioner only on the off days.  

My hair was much better, but still terribly dry.  By then, I'd heard of sulfate free products, and started using them.  Again, better, but not good enough.  It was bad enough that someone stopped me in a store and recommended a repair product (Ojon).

it's been a process and a battle to find products that work.  I've tried a products through the years that left my hair in better condition, but not behaving well.  About a month ago, I found a product line that I love (so far)!  (Hask Argon Oil shampoo and conditioner).

For the past several years, I also go longer .... two to four days .... without shampoo or conditioner ...   Depends on how sweaty my head gets when I walk and exercise.  My hair is in much better shape now.

Reading these posts, I've decided to again use only conditioner for every other wash, and see how that goes.

(Wen made my hair fall out.... couldn't use it.  BUT I'm very sensitive and/or allergic to a lot of things.)

Valued Contributor

@nana59   Hilarious!

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Because my hair is naturally curly & color treated, I read that CO washing was beneficial. I tried WEN for several years. The build up on my scalp made me have to use a sulfate free, silicone free shampoo every other time. I only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week (S&C). When I shower the other days, I just run a small amount of the conditioner (about a teaspoon) through my short, layered hair to add moisture. If you read about CO washing, there are many "recipes" w/ vinegar, etc. to rinse hair to clean scalp of extra build up of oils. That proved to me that something more than just conditioner was needed. To quote Nick Chavez: "A clean scalp means healthy hair"!

Wen isnt "just conditioner" its a cleansing conditioner which means it has cleansing ingredients included vs standard conditioner that doesnt.

Having build up on your scalp usually means you need to use more (its not a sales pitch, its very true), a more astringent formula, more water or you really need to get your fingers working.

People need to understand there are differences between standard conditioner (which requires the need for the recipes you mentioned) and cleansing conditioner (which does not). People also need to understand as I mentioned that when you no longer have the stripping chemicals of shampoo, you need to put your fingers to work.

I'm 9 yrs in and I do not have build up or residue on my scalp. I also use enough Wen, plenty of water and work my fingers.

#IAmTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

Twenty years ago, my hair was very dry, like straw.  Back then, I used to wash every day. I had never heard of sulfate free products, but I looked for products that said said they were moisturizing, and cut back shampoo to every other day, while using conditioner only on the off days.  

My hair was much better, but still terribly dry.  By then, I'd heard of sulfate free products, and started using them.  Again, better, but not good enough.  It was bad enough that someone stopped me in a store and recommended a repair product (Ojon).

it's been a process and a battle to find products that work.  I've tried a products through the years that left my hair in better condition, but not behaving well.  About a month ago, I found a product line that I love (so far)!  (Hask Argon Oil shampoo and conditioner).

For the past several years, I also go longer .... two to four days .... without shampoo or conditioner ...   Depends on how sweaty my head gets when I walk and exercise.  My hair is in much better shape now.

Reading these posts, I've decided to again use only conditioner for every other wash, and see how that goes.

(Wen made my hair fall out.... couldn't use it.  BUT I'm very sensitive and/or allergic to a lot of things.)

I'm glad you found the products that were best for you and this has made you consider co washing again.

Wen has quite a few natural extracts (nuts, fruits, veggies and plants) in place of chemicals, so allergic reactions can happen as with any product or even food.  I hope your hair has well recovered and hoping you pinpointed the allergen so you wont experience it again.  Heart

#IAmTeamWen
Valued Contributor

@itiswhatitis

I am having good luck using a small amount of  Suave SLEEK shampoo massaged into my scalp and then before rinsing....I add Suave SLEEK conditioner to the mix and let it all soak in for about 10minutes before rinsing with warm then cool water.  

My Aunt gave me a wonderful microfiber hair dry towel that I wrap my hair in ala Turban. I have time to let my hair  *air dry* and do not use a hot hair dryer.  

I have long hair which is like owning a small pet.  (clean,feed,gently brush - repeat) 

CAT

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Because my hair is naturally curly & color treated, I read that CO washing was beneficial. I tried WEN for several years. The build up on my scalp made me have to use a sulfate free, silicone free shampoo every other time. I only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week (S&C). When I shower the other days, I just run a small amount of the conditioner (about a teaspoon) through my short, layered hair to add moisture. If you read about CO washing, there are many "recipes" w/ vinegar, etc. to rinse hair to clean scalp of extra build up of oils. That proved to me that something more than just conditioner was needed. To quote Nick Chavez: "A clean scalp means healthy hair"!

Thanks @Shanus for your input.  I'm considering it and looking at youtube videos.

*Call Tyrone*