Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone able to write down the 4 face creams on Dr Oz today?

On 3/24/2014 Kind1too said:

I love Dr. Oz. You do have to use common sense when watching him. Not every product is good for everyone. His suggestion for beet root juice, kept my husband from having a stroke. Lowered his out of control blood pressure. Common sense folks!

Well, there's the problem! Common sense is the least common thing in the world. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I'm so glad that your husband's blood pressure is under control now. That must be a huge relief.

Super Contributor

All the poster wanted to know is the name of the beauty products he mentioned and you people go into a 1st class Dr.OZ bashing session!

Valued Contributor

On 3/25/2014 corita said:
On 3/25/2014 DualCoasts said:
On 3/25/2014 NYC Susan said:

Dr. Oz is a heart surgeon, on staff at a hospital in NYC. He has been involved in the treatment of several people I know. He most definitely never "gave that up to be on TV". There's so much misinformation in this thread! Kiss

Absolutely true.

Sometimes sensational ignorance and shrill comments are more popular than the facts. Dr. Oz has impressive medical credentials, is a practicing cardiac surgeon at Columbia and while some of his TV show's demonstrations are silly -- this thread proves that the average common denominator maturity-wise in this country is about 12 yrs of age. So evidently, some cutesy and highly simplistic demonstrations are necessary in order to educate people.

As for product endorsements, he doesn't do any. None.

If people can't accurately filter more than 1 piece of new information at a time, nor do any research themselves, they might want to limit their media exposure to Sesame Street.

Every good teacher knows that audio/visual aids always greatly assist in teaching a concept! In order to adapt to all viewers/students' learning styles, every good teacher will use supplemental demonstrations that are simple to understand. Dr. Oz exposes viewers to items/products that they may not be aware of, but I think that Dr Oz expects people to do research and make their own decisions.

Thanks Corita, NYCSusan, DualCoasts, for presenting the facts. ~Peach

Regular Contributor

On 3/24/2014 KatCat1 said:
On 3/24/2014 wilma said:
On 3/24/2014 KatCat1 said:

He needs to stop endorsing products.

Agree. If he wants to recommend ingredients than that would be fine, but to constantly endorse different products lessens his credibility as a doctor IMO and makes him seem too much like a salesperson.

I believe Dr. Oz was a surgeon at one time (saving lives) and he gave that up to be on TV. I have no respect for him. Dr. Phil is another one. It's all about money for both of them.

Dr. Oz is a heart surgeon, on staff at a hospital in NYC. He has been involved in the treatment of several people I know. He most definitely never "gave that up to be on TV".

There's so much misinformation in this thread! Kiss

AGREE. I too know people that he has treated many years ago. Before he was a controversial dr/show host he did A LOT of good for A LOT of people. Get some posters going and they run run run with it......

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2014 catprincess said:

All the poster wanted to know is the name of the beauty products he mentioned and you people go into a 1st class Dr.OZ bashing session!

I was just about to post the same thing!

Super Contributor

I have seen him say repeatedly that he does not endorse any products and if "we" see his name/face anywhere to report it to his website cause he has not given permission.

Also--a weeks worth of shows are all taped in 1 day---leaving him plenty of time for his "real" job.

When he talks about eating a diet rich in fruits/vegs. is he also "hawking" these products?

I have seen the display bottles of recommended supplements for specific issues w/large print GENERIC labels. He rarely displays name-brand products except when he has an expert guest on who may/not have their own skincare line.

When he discusses supplements he will often have a registered dietition/nutritionist on..iows, someone who is knowlegable in the field---same w/skincare--he brings in an expert in the field (who may/not have a skincare line).

As for Dr. Phil--I have seldom seen a program where he does not talk-up his latest book--or his son's book/publishing house...or now it's a new "APP"...and I am a fan of his show EXCEPT for his constant references to his books/etc.

Let's not forget Oprah's Book Club--were their accusations of kick-backs for her constant hawking of certain books? Whatever mention Dr. Oz may make of a product can't even come CLOSE to the millions of dollars Oprah brought in to various publishers/authors...do we REALLY THINK she did all that for FREE? Especially when the books had that circle on the cover stating this book "is an Oprah Book Club" recommendation?

(BTW--I am also a minor fan of her program--not "her"--but her show/network) but was there an uproar about her Bookclub???? Maybe..don't remember).

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2014 LuckyPeach said:
On 3/25/2014 corita said:
On 3/25/2014 DualCoasts said:

Dr. Oz is a heart surgeon, on staff at a hospital in NYC. He has been involved in the treatment of several people I know. He most definitely never "gave that up to be on TV". There's so much misinformation in this thread! Kiss

Absolutely true.

Sometimes sensational ignorance and shrill comments are more popular than the facts. Dr. Oz has impressive medical credentials, is a practicing cardiac surgeon at Columbia and while some of his TV show's demonstrations are silly -- this thread proves that the average common denominator maturity-wise in this country is about 12 yrs of age. So evidently, some cutesy and highly simplistic demonstrations are necessary in order to educate people.

As for product endorsements, he doesn't do any. None.

If people can't accurately filter more than 1 piece of new information at a time, nor do any research themselves, they might want to limit their media exposure to Sesame Street.

Every good teacher knows that audio/visual aids always greatly assist in teaching a concept! In order to adapt to all viewers/students' learning styles, every good teacher will use supplemental demonstrations that are simple to understand. Dr. Oz exposes viewers to items/products that they may not be aware of, but I think that Dr Oz expects people to do research and make their own decisions.

Thanks Corita, NYCSusan, DualCoasts, for presenting the facts. ~Peach

Update on Dr Oz demos -- saw Dr Oz show on Friday with all kids and some parents. Thought his demos were not really targeted at children. The kids looked unfocused and confused... more into the game of the demo rather than into the concept. I thought that he did not really tie in the demos/games to the concept he was teaching. He was speaking "over their heads" using scientific terminology rather than using children's vocabulary. Not the best of his shows....just my opinion...