Trusted Contributor
On 8/4/2014 Katluvr58 said:
On 8/4/2014 Sweet Susie said:

Today I received the Vitamin C-E Ferulic Acid serum from ASDM and really like it!

This serum is a watery serum and has a faint odor from the ferulic acid but the odor dissipates as the serum dries down. (Ferulic acid has an odor described as similar to hot dogs, lol). The serum leaves no sticky residue, dries down completely, leaves my skin feeling soft. This serum is not a moisturizing serum and I think is a great choice for oily or combo skin. The pH of my bottle tested to be 3 (I have some pH test strips).

I think it's a winner! And a whole lot less $$ than the SkinCeuticals Vit. C-E Ferulic serum!

Susie, please keep us up to date after a few days. I am very interested in knowing your progress. TIA.

Katluvr, I've been using the ASDM Vit. C E & Ferulic serum for a few days now and it's just as nice as the NCN version. I've had no irritation, no breakouts. Yay! It goes on smoothly, dries down to feeling like there is nothing on my skin, no stickiness, no shine left on the skin, yet leaves my skin feeling soft but not at all oily/greasy.

Since this is a watery serum, I do shake the bottle each time just to make sure everything is mixed.

This is the most cost effective, non-irritating Vit. C w/ ferulic that I've come across yet.

Let me qualify that by saying the Skin Actives version is a little less expensive but more irritating (if they took out the citrus extracts and essential oils, it probably wouldn't be so irritating).

If you believe the SkinCeuticals folks, the addition of ferulic acid to the Vit. C serum provides protection against damaging free radicals induced by UVA, UVB and infrared radiation A.

Super Contributor
On 8/7/2014 Sweet Susie said:
On 8/4/2014 Katluvr58 said:
On 8/4/2014 Sweet Susie said:

Today I received the Vitamin C-E Ferulic Acid serum from ASDM and really like it!

This serum is a watery serum and has a faint odor from the ferulic acid but the odor dissipates as the serum dries down. (Ferulic acid has an odor described as similar to hot dogs, lol). The serum leaves no sticky residue, dries down completely, leaves my skin feeling soft. This serum is not a moisturizing serum and I think is a great choice for oily or combo skin. The pH of my bottle tested to be 3 (I have some pH test strips).

I think it's a winner! And a whole lot less $$ than the SkinCeuticals Vit. C-E Ferulic serum!

Susie, please keep us up to date after a few days. I am very interested in knowing your progress. TIA.

Katluvr, I've been using the ASDM Vit. C E & Ferulic serum for a few days now and it's just as nice as the NCN version. I've had no irritation, no breakouts. Yay! It goes on smoothly, dries down to feeling like there is nothing on my skin, no stickiness, no shine left on the skin, yet leaves my skin feeling soft but not at all oily/greasy.

Since this is a watery serum, I do shake the bottle each time just to make sure everything is mixed.

This is the most cost effective, non-irritating Vit. C w/ ferulic that I've come across yet.

Let me qualify that by saying the Skin Actives version is a little less expensive but more irritating (if they took out the citrus extracts and essential oils, it probably wouldn't be so irritating).

If you believe the SkinCeuticals folks, the addition of ferulic acid to the Vit. C serum provides protection against damaging free radicals induced by UVA, UVB and infrared radiation A.

Susie can you let me know again in about a week. I want to try it but my skin is so finicky that it would be good to know if your skin is still doing well in a week. It seems that my skin can handle most products but freaks out with too many products. I have gone down to serum, eye cream and JM SPF mixed with ASDM SPF or Suntegrity during the day. I use the creams at night with the peptide serum. I am also applying my cream and waiting a few minutes and tapping a piece of tissue on my skin to absorb anything extra since I am heavy handed with the cream. TIA.

Trusted Contributor

Katluvr, I think most anyone's skin freaks out if overloaded, lol!

I'm a minimalist and down to using ASDM's Vit. C w/ ferulic serum, their hydroquinone 4 serum and their sunscreen in the AM before applying makeup.

In the evening, I only use their hydroquinone 4 serum and a cream for my eyes (a peptide face cream I bought at TJMaxx and forgot I had, lol). That's it. A couple of times a week, I use a retinol product instead of the hydroquinone 4 cream at night.

I decided it made more sense for me to attack my hyperpigmentation problem first and try to get that resolved. Then I'll go on the attack with anti-aging products, lol, like the peptide serum.

I also don't use additional moisturizers on my face. I live in a sub-tropic steam-bath climate and if I try to use a moisturizer, my face is a greasy mess. I also make sure to use a cleanser that has a pH of 5 to 6, close to skin's natural pH, so that it doesn't strip the skin barrier.

I'm still interested in trying the peptide serum, trying to figure out where/when I would use it, most probably around the eyes.

Super Contributor

Katluvr, I think most anyone's skin freaks out if overloaded, lol!

I'm a minimalist and down to using ASDM's Vit. C w/ ferulic serum, their hydroquinone 4 serum and their sunscreen in the AM before applying makeup.

In the evening, I only use their hydroquinone 4 serum and a cream for my eyes (a peptide face cream I bought at TJMaxx and forgot I had, lol). That's it. A couple of times a week, I use a retinol product instead of the hydroquinone 4 cream at night.

I decided it made more sense for me to attack my hyperpigmentation problem first and try to get that resolved. Then I'll go on the attack with anti-aging products, lol, like the peptide serum.

I also don't use additional moisturizers on my face. I live in a sub-tropic steam-bath climate and if I try to use a moisturizer, my face is a greasy mess. I also make sure to use a cleanser that has a pH of 5 to 6, close to skin's natural pH, so that it doesn't strip the skin barrier.

I'm still interested in trying the peptide serum, trying to figure out where/when I would use it, most probably around the eyes.

Rebeca at ASDM told me to use the Vit C in the morning and the peptide at night. I use the Firming Serum just on the trouble spots morning and night. Under my eyes, above my lips and on my forehead. Sometimes on my neck instead of the peptide. I have tried some cleansers including a sample of ASDM's and I always go back to Philosophy Purity and Miracle Worker Cleanser. When I was retin-a burned those are the only cleansers that didn't burn. I have also come to the conclusion that except for my forehead I have to use retin-a on top of my cream. I have burned too many times. No offense I am glad I don't live where you do, I don't do hot very well, lol.

Frequent Contributor

I received the Collagen cream, and I used it this morning. The textures is thick, and I don't think I need a lot. The problem is, after I applied the collagen cream and let it set for a while, I applied Bobbi Brown Tinted moisturizer, it won't set in. The harder I try to blend in, it ended up with flaky stuff came off my face, like dead skin. Am I using too much of the cream or I shouldn't have mixed the two products together.

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Katluvr, no offense taken, lol, I can't take the heat anymore, either! The heat didn't seem to bother me very much when I was in my 20's but now, ugh.

I've used Philosophy Purity cleanser in the past but it never seemed to really clean my skin, especially if I had makeup on. Maybe your skin is being reactive because the Purity isn't thoroughly cleaning your skin well enough...just a thought.

I've had pretty good luck with two drugstore cleansers, both have a pH 6: Aveeno Ultra-calming Foaming Cleanser and Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash. The Simple cleanser works well to remove makeup, although with long-wearing makeup, you'd probably have to use makeup remover first.

I've read that it take a while (3 to 6 weeks) for skin to adjust to using a cleanser with a pH 5.5-6, especially if it's been cleansed with more alkaline soaps with a pH of 8 or higher for a long time. The skin's protective acid mantle has been removed by the alkaline soaps and it takes a while to restore itself. I think we're all too impatient and expect instant results from all these lotions and potions we load onto our skin, lol.

Super Contributor
On 8/7/2014 balogna said:

I received the Collagen cream, and I used it this morning. The textures is thick, and I don't think I need a lot. The problem is, after I applied the collagen cream and let it set for a while, I applied Bobbi Brown Tinted moisturizer, it won't set in. The harder I try to blend in, it ended up with flaky stuff came off my face, like dead skin. Am I using too much of the cream or I shouldn't have mixed the two products together.

Thanks.

You probably used too much. It takes a very little bit or mix a tiny bit in with the BB. It will be a bit of trial and error. That or just use it at night or non mu days.

Super Contributor

Katluvr, no offense taken, lol, I can't take the heat anymore, either! The heat didn't seem to bother me very much when I was in my 20's but now, ugh.

I've used Philosophy Purity cleanser in the past but it never seemed to really clean my skin, especially if I had makeup on. Maybe your skin is being reactive because the Purity isn't thoroughly cleaning your skin well enough...just a thought.

I've had pretty good luck with two drugstore cleansers, both have a pH 6: Aveeno Ultra-calming Foaming Cleanser and Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash. The Simple cleanser works well to remove makeup, although with long-wearing makeup, you'd probably have to use makeup remover first.

I've read that it take a while (3 to 6 weeks) for skin to adjust to using a cleanser with a pH 5.5-6, especially if it's been cleansed with more alkaline soaps with a pH of 8 or higher for a long time. The skin's protective acid mantle has been removed by the alkaline soaps and it takes a while to restore itself. I think we're all too impatient and expect instant results from all these lotions and potions we load onto our skin, lol.

Susie, good idea but I don't think it's the Purity since I've used it for 10-15 years. Plus I use a mu remover towelette before washing my face when I have any mu on. That is good to know about the ph levels. I have 2 bottles of Alba Botanica Coconut Milk Cleanser and I was wondering if I would have to give them away. I like them. Smiley Sad I'll give them a go again when my last couple of issues are gone. I put retin-a on my neck where I had an ingrown hair. Bad idea. My neck turned red and I woke up with a half dollar size peeling mess. I've been using tea tree and emu oil plus Neosporin at night since it is scabbed over (sorry gross). It is finally small and coverable.

Super Contributor

Susie after reading you review, I'm thinking about trying the L-Ascorbic acid serum after I finish my MAP one. Please keep us updated on how it's working out for you. I might order it during their labor day sale.

Super Contributor

Sorry myshell but I need to bump this back to the first page. Myshell asked why her Vit C serum is two layers in the bottle and was told that is normal but the serum should be shaken before using. So ladies, SHAKE YOUR VIT C BEFORE USING.