Regular Contributor

Re: APPOINTMENT WITH NEW DEVACURL SALON

I have also been to a Deva Curl salon. I have natural 3a curl. I didn't think they did anything special.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxoxwrote:

@Ibby114

I wore my hair curly about 8 years ago, I first went to Quidad and the first washing was a disaster I could not understand how to care for my hair, less than a week later I went to Devashan in White Plains my hair was cut again and this time it worked.

It became too much work, all the products and my hair never lasted the 6 months between cuts, I was lucky if I got 6 weeks

@I am still oxox wow, that  was a $$$$ week!!! Woman LOL Just reading how Ouidad does a razor cut made me think twice about it- seems that would encourage split ends. The last thing a curly girl needs is frizz!!

Honored Contributor

Whoa, Ladies. You’re frightening me w/ these horror stories! I’m happy my appointment is just for wash/style...no cut...not purchasing products.

If I continue with Curly Girl Method, I have drugstore s&c and gel that are silicone/sulfate free.

It takes me more time to straighten my hair w/ flat iron, etc. than to put in product & let it air dry. I also can see damage & dryness when I continue to blow dry w/ round brush for weeks at a time. 

No harm in just getting some style info & advice, right?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114wrote:

@I am still oxoxwrote:

@Ibby114

I wore my hair curly about 8 years ago, I first went to Quidad and the first washing was a disaster I could not understand how to care for my hair, less than a week later I went to Devashan in White Plains my hair was cut again and this time it worked.

It became too much work, all the products and my hair never lasted the 6 months between cuts, I was lucky if I got 6 weeks

@I am still oxox wow, that  was a $$$$ week!!! Woman LOL Just reading how Ouidad does a razor cut made me think twice about it- seems that would encourage split ends. The last thing a curly girl needs is frizz!!

I had a great first visit experience at Quidad in NYC.  It was instrumental in teaching me that my natural hair could perform well for me with the right care.  That alone made the expensive visit worthwhile.  I was paying $600 a year for chemical straightening.  Because of my desire to go natural I had to find a stylist with the same mindset and I landed with my current Aveda stylist in Chicago.  She was also dedicated to helping for clients who had been chemically straightening their hair go natural.  @Ibby114 I had the razor trim and it works surpisingly well in the highly skilled hands of someone like Quidad.  

@Shanus Good luck with the DevaCurl appointment.  If you use only one or two of the tips received that will make the visit worth whatever it costs. There may be a product used which impresses enough to take home, and I know you'll stand strong against being pushed to buy anything which doesn't.Woman Happy

Occasional Contributor

I think you should go for it!  I have a DevaCut stylist and it was the best decision I've ever made for my hair.  I've been doing things wrong forever.  Now, I have the perfect cut and I no longer fight with my hair.  I get compliments all the time.  That never happened before the DevaCut.  Let us know how it turns out...