Honored Contributor

APPOINTMENT WITH NEW DEVACURL SALON

A new salon opened here that specializes in cutting/styling/teaching techniques about caring for curly hair. The first one opened in NY years ago. A few stores carry Devacurl products, but I made an appointment to find out which ones were right for my curl type....no cut...just consultation. 

Respected Contributor

Re: APPOINTMENT WITH NEW DEVACURL SALON

I don't have curly hair unfortunately, but I am so excited for you.  What an opportunity!  I'll be interested to hear what you find out!

Honored Contributor

I have been to the real Devashan salons, not just ones with trained stylists and I found them over prices and obnoxious at times, it is their way or no way.

I paid over $150 for the cut and upwards of $200 for color.

They basically say if you do not use their products they can not be responsible for the look of your hair. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

My hairdresser is trained in DevaCurl methods, and she does a terrific job on my hair.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxoxwrote:

I have been to the real Devashan salons, not just ones with trained stylists and I found them over prices and obnoxious at times, it is their way or no way.

They basically say if you do not use their products they can not be responsible for the look of your hair. 

@I am still oxox  Yep. I’ve heard that....arrogance is expensive. 🤪 I read about the products and their basic philosophy. Since no cut & no color since my hair’s naturally white/silver, just interested in styling options and techniques. Luckily, no one has ever talked me into anything I didn’t want to purchase, as far as their products...So, I’m anxious to hear their take on my curls.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Good luck up here no consult is free the cheapest was 75.

@Shanuswrote:

@I am still oxoxwrote:

@I am still oxox  Yep. I’ve heard that....arrogance is expensive. 🤪 I read about the products and their basic philosophy. Since no cut & no color since my hair’s naturally white/silver, just interested in styling options and techniques. Luckily, no one has ever talked me into anything I didn’t want to purchase, as far as their products...So, I’m anxious to hear their take on my curls.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxoxwrote:

@Shanus

Good luck up here no consult is free the cheapest was 75.

@Shanuswrote:

@I am still oxoxwrote:

@I am still oxox  Oh definitely paying for consultation and styling....and tip. Wouldn’t expect that for free. Still worth it if informative and a 1 time deal. Not planning to change from my current stylist....

Respected Contributor

That's very exciting! I hope you will come back and tell us all how it went!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanuswrote:

@I am still oxoxwrote:

@Shanus @I am still oxox I also went to the real Devashan salon in NYC - in SoHo. I didn't find them to be particularly arrogant, but what I did find is that they didn't listen to me!!! I brought in a photo from their website-   my hair was all one length at the time (about shoulder length) and it showed  the way I wanted my layers cut.  They did it their  way instead- minimal layers! I had been there for hours already- if I had the time I would have insisted they layer more- but I had to get going. Yes... $150 later. Their drying methods were really helpful. But I  won't go back, I might try Ouidad's salon if I want to splurge again.

They didn't push product too much, but I had mentioned I use many DevaCurl items already. (which I do!)

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114

I wore my hair curly about 8 years ago, I first went to Quidad and the first washing was a disaster I could not understand how to care for my hair, less than a week later I went to Devashan in White Plains my hair was cut again and this time it worked.

It became too much work, all the products and my hair never lasted the 6 months between cuts, I was lucky if I got 6 weeks