Esteemed Contributor

Re: 💘 sons and their moms

[ Edited ]

Good morning! My DH is the only son in a family of seven sisters also he was the baby of the family. My MIL went with us on our honeymoon. But, of course was in a another room  in the hotel. That was one of the worst weeks in my life. My husband is hispanic  [so am I] and in spanish familes the son is everything to the mother and the relationship is very close. In fact my brothers lived with my mother and father until they were almost 40. And they were both working and engaged. It is what it is. My MIL is as opposite to me as two people can be. I think that is why my husband was so attracted to me.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I’d need to think in your question for a bit.

For the present, I must say how happy I am for you!

It is wonderful to see your son choosing someone you can identify with and enjoy the good qualities in!💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

My son doesn't have anyone special in his life right now but I can't get over how similar my DD's boyfriend is like my husband. (her dad)

@haddon9 Psychologists say that daughters will look for their dad's personality, and boys will look for their mom's personality.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   I can believe it! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

So if you didn't grow up in Mayville with June and Ward, whose personality do you look for?

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

They say that our sons tend to marry or partner with women who remind them of their moms.

It's true in my case.  Before my younger son introduced us to his most recent partner, (and I think she's "the one"), he said, "Mom, she reminds me of all the good things about you".  And he was right. The better I get to know her, the more of me I see in her. 

Did your son choose a partner who is very much like you, or did he swing the other way?

@house_cat   My dil is a wonderful mother and kind, thoughtful to a fault. I hope my son feels that I’m similar to her. Where we differ is that she’s more “relaxed” with housecleaning and she’s 5’11” tall. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

So if you didn't grow up in Mayville with June and Ward, whose personality do you look for?

I think that it's only natural for us to use our parents as examples when we choose a partner, but that could very well mean choosing an exact opposite if we didn't get what we needed from them when we were children.  In any case, it's not a hard and fast rule, but I do think there's something to it.  My husband looks nothing like my dad, but they are both sentimental, thoughtful, loyal, compassionate and gentle.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I was not like my MIL, we did laugh a lot and I liked her.  The person my son was married to, nothing, nada, no, not like me.  They are D now, years ago.  WE have a good relationship with our son.  We're very proud of him.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

My son doesn't have anyone special in his life right now but I can't get over how similar my DD's boyfriend is like my husband. (her dad)

@haddon9 Psychologists say that daughters will look for their dad's personality, and boys will look for their mom's personality.

I'd never marry someone like my father.  I think it's wrong to compare people, since we all have different influences in our lives.  Very diverse.  At least that's what I've come to learn in the many people I've encountered.  Thank heavens, we aren't all alike.  

Honored Contributor

OMG no!  His mother and I could not have been more antithetical in EVERY way!

Same with him and my dad. Total opposites!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986