Honored Contributor

💘 sons and their moms

[ Edited ]

They say that our sons tend to marry or partner with women who remind them of their moms.

It's true in my case.  Before my younger son introduced us to his most recent partner, (and I think she's "the one"), he said, "Mom, she reminds me of all the good things about you".  And he was right. The better I get to know her, the more of me I see in her. 

Did your son choose a partner who is very much like you, or did he swing the other way?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: 💘 sons and their moms

I am 180 degrees opposite of my MIL (no longer with us) in every way.  But she never liked any of he DIL'S so I don't feel special.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I see similarities in both of my daughters - in-law, to me, personality wise....not in appearance. They are short brunettes, I’m a tall blond. My sons are tall blondes.

eta, I love both of my daughters-in-law. They are wonderful women.

Esteemed Contributor

My DIL is very attractive, extremely organized, neat, an excellent housekeeper, and exceptional wife and mother.

She is OK with working; but she does not like to cook!  We knew she loved to shop and was enamored with my son's previous home. She attempted to cook for him while dating (and living with him). At the time, she was not working. As soon as they were married, it became take-out, delivery or my son was asked to grill dinner!

About 6-7 years into their marriage, they decided it was time for her to enter the workforce. She now works part-time during the school year only. Loves to shop. Still does not cook!

She is an excellent wife and mother. In his position, my son could benefit from a wife capable of great hostessing skills. Instead, they take clients to the Country Club. It works for them.

As long as he is happy, I'm happy for them. It doesn't matter if she's like me or not.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

People used to say I bore some resemblance to my mother-in-law but I think our personalities were closer than our appearance. My grandson is engaged to a woman who looks like his mother and like me. My daughter and I bear a close resemblance. His fiancée looks like the women in our family. If someone mistook her for my granddaughter, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Honored Contributor

I don't have sons but in observing the couples I know,  I don't believe that's the case at all.  

Honored Contributor

No sons, but I do see similar personality traits between my MIL and myself.

Honored Contributor

My DIL is SO much like me!  Oh my!  She wants everything I buy, so I get 2!

Of course little girls grow up to marry a man like their daddy and I did!Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

I have a son & his wife is nothing like me. She's entitled, manipulative, pathological liar, has to be the center of attention, know it all....covert narcissist....she thinks she has everyone fooled in the family. Just waiting for my son to wake up and smell the coffee...until then I remain cordial to her, basically tolerate her when I have to. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Did your son choose a partner who is very much like you, or did he swing the other way?

No & yes

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif