Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

Hmm, he has always been kind of a hyper person, keeping busy. He is still working also so i think that helps. He is also the kind of person who likes to show off ,, it's like he never really rested, he was out walking the neighborhood 3 days after. The dr said he was amazed at how fast he recovered, and he just loved hearing that. But i do notice a persoality change in him, more childish and forgetful. 

Sorry to hear about yours, maybe it just takes more time for some people. If he was close with his mom maybe he is a little depresed. 

@dogsx3   I do not know how old your Husband is.... but sometimes personality changes... childish... forgetful...   even  mean ....which  are not the usual personality could mean signs of demensia....

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I think that the hardest part for my DH was that he was used to getting up and leaving the house to go to work.  He had a purpose, a schedule, things to do...He doesn't play golf, boat, belong to clubs, etc.  We don't and never have run with friends.  It is always just the two of us when we go out.  He bought a really good bike and began riding it.  Well, that became obsessive to the point of 17 miles a day.  He would come home and sit.  He had no energy to do anything else. He was hit by a car while riding and broke his collar bone.  That kind of ended the biking. He likes woodworking, but there are only so many projects that he can do.  He retired in 2012.  He has established a routine for himself that seems to be working. It took a while. He gets up and walks the dog for about a mile.  We do Bible study every morning.  We have apartments that he tends to if something needs doing.  We just got done flipping one and that took a month.  He likes having things to do, but he doesn't want me to tell him what to do or when to do it LOL.  You know, his own timetable and that is okay.  It is working out.  He refaced all our cabinets down south this winter.  He took his time, but he was happy doing it.  

I hope that your DH can find something that will draw him away from the TV, phone, and computer.  Life is short.  There are so many people that have nothing or need help.  Maybe he could volunteer.  I don't really have an answer, but I will say a prayer that he will awaken, so to speak, to what life has to offer.  You guys are too young and healthy for this.

All the best.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Re: quick question ....

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@dogsx3 wrote:

Hmm, he has always been kind of a hyper person, keeping busy. He is still working also so i think that helps. He is also the kind of person who likes to show off ,, it's like he never really rested, he was out walking the neighborhood 3 days after. The dr said he was amazed at how fast he recovered, and he just loved hearing that. But i do notice a persoality change in him, more childish and forgetful. 

Sorry to hear about yours, maybe it just takes more time for some people. If he was close with his mom maybe he is a little depresed. 

@dogsx3   I do not know how old your Husband is.... but sometimes personality changes... childish... forgetful...   even  mean ....which  are not the usual personality could mean signs of demensia....

Yes, i have thought of that, because his mom has it now and his grandmother had it also. It does scare me, the thoght of dealing with that. He is 62

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3,

Since you have already seen personality changes, and thought dementia, I wanted to add this for thought.  

My Mom was diagnosed with dementia 2 years ago; I saw brain changes and early signs more than 5 years before I urged her doctor to do a simple, unexpected test.  

The first signs were personality changes.  I called Mom to tell her I’d received a note from her cousin, and she screamed a response into the phone that absolutely floored me!   It was so unlike my Mom, and really got my wheels turning in the direction of early dementia.   

In another general conversation with Mom,  we were talking about my paternal grandparents and I said I could remember what we all wore to both of their funerals.   There was great significance to the dresses I wore to both funerals, as Mom and I made them, but she did not remember.   She also did not remember her chocolate brown pumps and matching bag, which really blew my mind.   Those shoes and the handbag were THE most expensive, classy accessories my mother ever owned in her whole life, and to this day she does not remember them!   

Next was the incident where she awakened from a nap and thought it was the next day; made multiple trips to the paper box before realizing the paper was on the kitchen table, and then figuring out it was still the same day.

I was the one to urge Mom to stop driving after I followed her home from town.   Mom drove the vehicle perfectly.   The problem was that she was oblivious to everything around her; never knew I was behind her, didn’t see/couldn’t name a single thing she passed on the way home.

Since the official diagnosis, the repeating, the misplacing, the general confusion has worsened.   Mom can still perform her daily repetitive tasks well enough to remain in her home.   

Trusted Contributor
Thanks for your imput, hope your mom is doing well, glad she is still in her home. I am watching and hoping it's not yet...but I did mention it to him. I don't know what I'd do if it is that right know.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't answer that question......but I will say this:

EVERY woman should have her own secret bank account.

Wow.

That is the most depressing thing I’ve read in a while.

If one is slinking around hiding this & that...you don’t need to be in a relationship with anyone

@sidsmom    It's your PARTNER you have to worry about!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't answer that question......but I will say this:

EVERY woman should have her own secret bank account.

Wow.

That is the most depressing thing I’ve read in a while.

If one is slinking around hiding this & that...you don’t need to be in a relationship with anyone

@sidsmom    It's your PARTNER you have to worry about!

If one is adult/mature enough to enter a relationship,

distrust should not be there so..a ‘secret’ bank account or

secret anything is not needed.  If there’s auto-distrust,

It’s not the partner who’s the problem.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, i have thought of that, because his mom has it now and his grandmother had it also. It does scare me, the thoght of dealing with that. He is 62

@dogsx3  Perhaps he is also fearful of the same thing. Have you talked about the possibility and how you would handle it for/with him if the marriage is saved? What do you plan to do in the event of your own future health problems? It would be ideal if the marriage could be salvaged and both of you could rely upon each other to grow old together.

Most couples share in helping their in-laws, if necessary. Then make the decision for Independent Living, Assisted Living and/or Skilled Care. I made those decisions for my in-laws (who were out-of-state) following my husband's death, as well as for my own parents. I didn't ask my son to become the "sandwich generation" and become responsible for his own family as well as his grandparents and/or me. Plans for my own care have been in place for many years (financially and legally). Have you addressed those issues?

Make sure all your legal documents are updated at all times for your children!

Have you begun volunteer work in an attempt to meet other people and expand your horizons? Do you attend seminars in your community? What about politics or church or community events to meet new people?

Sounds like your husband attended a class reunion by himself and, as a result has been calling an old friend. Why didn't you go with him? You may have had a great time! He is a lonely man and needs a wife who is willing to be a life-long companion. Have you put him as #1 throughout your marriage? It sounds as if he was the financial  means for you to become a stay-at-home mom with the kids as your #1 priority. A marriage is doomed with that kind of thinking. Didn't you communicate with your husband at all throughout the marriage? Have you always lived married life the way you wanted to suit your needs and desires?

Perhaps it's time to think of your husband's thoughts, dreams, needs and companionship in life. He is/was part of that marriage. It does take two! He was also responsible for raising those great children . . . and deserves credit, as well! Give the man some compassion, courtesy and kindness. It would probably go a very long way. 

Parenting is a rewarding time of life and brings us more joy than anticipated. However, we cannot live our lives through our children and their accomplishments. Your children are now adults and perhaps will marry, have families of their own in addition to their careers. Do you expect them to care for you (and your husband) as you both age? It's not fair to them to become caught in the middle, again. 

Stay in counseling. You need to think long and hard before making such a change in lifestyle, which you know nothing about. If you haven't begun by making new changes, begin now by enriching yourself both mentally, emotionally and financially. Learn how to survive alone. It's not easy at any age, but 60 (with health problems) would be problematic if not ready to tackle the world like a lioness.

You are the only one responsible for happiness in your life; not your parents, your husband or your children.  Happiness comes from within.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor
Sorry about the loss of your husband..and glad you have plans for your future. You are wrong on a lot you have said about my life. We never really know, unless we are in the others shoes. I am trying to be responsable for my happiness within which is why I asked for opinions.
Trusted Contributor
...paragraph 5.....so wrong....couldnt edit on my iPhone.