Honored Contributor

It depends on the situation.  If you're in an ok situation, some might find that better than subjecting yourself to a much lower standard of living just for the sake of it.

If there were someone, that would be a different picture.

Respected Contributor

daisy123, at 60ish, life is short. Best to you.

Honored Contributor

Re: quick question ....

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 I don't think anyone can answer that for you, and I don't think you should take anyone's advice on this.

It is all relevant.  How bad is the relationship?  Are you simply unhappy, life isn't exactly what. you want, miserable, abused?  All very different things only you know.

Money?  Ya gotta have it.  How much are we talking about?  You'll have less or be out on the street--totally different situations

Are you just depressed and unsatisfied, or are you afraid and in jeopardy.  Do you have children or someone to take care of you?  Sixty isn't young.  You have to think about that.

ONLY YOU know.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would definitely get out of it. Being alone is great! The very fact that you're asking this question tells me that you don't want to be in the relationship. Your age should not be a factor. There's nothing worse in life than being in a bad relationship. You don't "need" a relationship to be happy. (I would recommend getting a good lawyer, however.)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@dogsx3 I don't think anyone can answer that for you, and I don't think you should take anyone's advice on this.

It is all relevant.  How bad is the relationship?  Are you simply unhappy, life isn't exactly what. you want, miserable, abused?  All very different things only you know.

Money?  Ya gotta have it.  How much are we talking about?  You'll have less or be out on the street--totally different situations

Are you just depressed and unsatisfied, or are you afraid and in jeopardy.  Do you have children or someone to take care of you?  Sixty isn't young.  You have to think about that.

ONLY YOU know.   

pretty much stayed for kids...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't answer that question......but I will say this:

EVERY woman should have her own secret bank account.

@Desertdi 

After being married 43 years I opened what I thought was my own account. I deposited my inheritance there plus in share certificate. While looking at my account online I noticed it said something to the effect DH's name co-owner??? I thought WTH!!! The account was suppose to be in my name only with him as beneficiary. Now I have to go to the credit union. I'm sure they will tell me they cannot change it without his signature or some krap. I told the lady it was an account in my name only?

It was no secret. I told DH exactly what I was doing with the money.

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

ONLY YOU know.   

pretty much stayed for kids...

@dogsx3 But it's not about the kids.  It's about you and your future and how you will live. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom  @Desertdi    I don't think the woman's account necessarily has to be secret but I do believe every woman should have money in her own name and not a joint account.  Money is freedom.

@dogsx3  Too many unknown variables involved to make a valid comment on.  However, if I were in an unhappy situation and had some money, I would leave.  You will be entitled to a portion of husband's social security and if you're in a community property state, half the assets.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't answer that question......but I will say this:

EVERY woman should have her own secret bank account.

Wow.

That is the most depressing thing I’ve read in a while.

If one is slinking around hiding this & that...you don’t need to be in a relationship with anyone

I work in financial services. I get calls from women who want info on their spouses's holdings. I can't disclose an account she's not on.

Nor can I disclose the beneficiary. Lotta women gonna be real surprised one day.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@sidsmom  I don't think the woman's account necessarily has to be secret but I do believe every woman should have money in her own name and not a joint account.  Money is freedom.

@kaydee50 

I agree to have separate accounts just for the convenience

BUT

that’s not what I was referring to.  

The word ‘secret’ was in size 7 font, bolded in red.  

That one lone word changes everything.

And that one lone word is not anywhere near a healthy relationship.