Honored Contributor

Are just that. Many people as children were taught one could only say something good,nothing negative. Just becuz someone disagrees w/you does not mean you are bad or that they are bad.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

And it doesn't mean you are being rude if you have a dissenting opinion.

Honored Contributor

It depends on the opinion and the tone. If the opinion is despicable , judgement is reasonable.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

Disagreement is good...but it doesn't have to be viscious or personal....in fact, only the ignorant have to bring others down to make thier point....and it's usually the last time anyone listens to them.....

If we were all the same, thought the same, beleived the same, dressed the same, drove the same car, ate the same food, wore our hair in the same style, were all one color or one religion, it would be on SERIOUSLY BORING WORLD.

And opinions are like the terminal end of an alimentary canal....EVERYBODY has one!!!!

And as most of us learned early, it's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree, also many times people take offense when none was meant.  You can't perceive a "tone" when you are not physically with that person.  In that respect there's a lot of attitude at times for no reason.

Honored Contributor

Just wondering what brought this topic on?  The "can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" comment?

Did I miss something while I wasn't online?

In the spirit of this thread, however:  I don't expect everyone to agree with everyone else, but I think there are polite ways to disagree.  I don't accept some of the vitriol and personal attacks I've seen on these boards.

Disagreement is fine; it just shouldn't be allowed to descend to personal bullying and name calling.  JMO. 

Respected Contributor

Writing definitely has tone.

This is from Grammerly:

Tone in writing is the attitude your words employ. Just like tone of voice, tone in writing gives much more context beyond the words used.

Some posters tire of negative or nasty or bullying tones. And perhaps those that employ those types of tones will be the only ones left posting online to banter with each other.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia   Agree and I try to provide a basis for my opinions because without that basis the opinion (here and everywhere else I find is pretty much just so much hot air.

Esteemed Contributor

The minute someone says I don’t think a post should contain this or that. It’s a problem. It’s all about filter and perception. What one sees as nasty might not be to another. Just post your opinion, and if you decide to banter with another poster don’t start accusing them of attacking you.

If you can dish it out, you better be able to take it.

I find just a different opinion turns the post nasty. Especially with certain subjects.

Honored Contributor

Well, I wish posters would quit describing a garment as "hideous"...when I just ordered one in every color

♥Surface of the Sun♥