Honored Contributor

I haven't lived in either state but I know that every state is lovely and warm and welcoming and a great place for families.  It just depends on how you live and where you live.  But I do think that the weather would make a change like that hard for most people.  TN has better weather than MI, that's just a fact and it might be hard if you aren't from a region that gets tons of snow and frigid temperatures.  I honestly don't think that the cost of living in MI is so much lower than TN that it justifies a move.  But if you want to move, do it.  If you think you need to justify it to family, I don't cost of living will do it.  I have 2 grands now, they were both born last winter and I honestly don't think I could make a choice like that.  I don't think I could pack up and move away from the one, even if it meant being close to the other.  Actually, the thought that one of my girls might someday pack up and move far away from me makes me hyperventilate.  It's a horrible thought.

Honored Contributor

@matty liz...interesting you mention Franklin Tennessee....my dh and I have been there a few times and really like the downtown area.  Just recently I started a thread about moving from the midwest to another state, Tennessee being one of those states!

Is the price of housing the biggest issue for you?

Honored Contributor

I'd leave TN for MI, but I've always lived in WI so I'm biased in favor of the Great Lakes states.

Honored Contributor

In my opinion there is a huge difference in the weather in these two states. Weather is really important for a lot of people. Some can't stand the cold, ice and snow, other's can't take heat and humidity for many months per year.

You seem to be considering the move based mostly on rent (or cost of living in TN) from my understanding of your post. 

If you like everything about where you live except the cost, have you really looked around and tried to relocate somewhere in the area where the rent and cost of living is a little more reasonable? Most areas have a wide range when it comes to the cost of living, and with a little looking, and maybe moving to a smaller town or more rural location, you can find it more affordable, before choosing to move somewhere that the weather isn't exactly enticing to you.

And much of the country has been experiencing mild winters this last couple of years, but don't let anyone tell you that Michigan winters are easy. Even the good ones are much colder and snowier than what you are used to where you live now. Michigan is a beautiful state (even though the football teams leave something to be desired LOL).

Summer and fall are stunning. But living in Ohio, which has much the same weather as Michigan, I can say that I've had enough of winter in this region. And if you have to work, or will need to get out and about, be prepared for ice and snow on the roads, high heating bills, and being cold to the bone much of the season. These mild winters we've been experiencing, can't last much longer.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@matty liz...interesting you mention Franklin Tennessee....my dh and I have been there a few times and really like the downtown area.  Just recently I started a thread about moving from the midwest to another state, Tennessee being one of those states!

Is the price of housing the biggest issue for you?

We would also think of going to Tennessee if we had the chance.  I have always heard it is  one of the least expensive states in which to live.

Respected Contributor

Blueberries are the BEST

Other than that, people live everywhere, if you were going to the Artic, I'm sure there would pages of are you sure you know what you are doing?

Valued Contributor

I would definitely go and stay some seasons and spend some time there. I am living temp in the mountains of TN. I thought I knew in which directions I would be going but after spending some time there, don't think so. A hard decision for sure and good luck.

Respected Contributor

Michigan is a beautiful state....and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the summer and fall.  That being said...winters are long and usually very cold and snowy.  We've had a break the past couple years, but that will come to an end, I'm sure.  Do some research...I think taxes and insurance are much more costly in Michigan.  Midland is a nice city, and there is lots to do...and you would be just a few hours away from the northern Michigan recreation areas, which are beautiful.  

Moving will give you a chance to bond more with the other grandchild/children you haven't been around so much....and now with Skype you can keep in touch with everyone, no matter where you are.  I would consider making the move and doing a couple Tennessee trips in the winter and spring.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Honored Contributor

As a renter, the world is your oyster.  You are able to move around whenever you wish, and find just the right place!  Lots of good luck to you!  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).