Respected Contributor

I cannot say that I know anything about Franklin but Michigan is a lovely state. Midland is not close to a major airport so if you are going to fly anywhere you will have a drive. It is a nice drive to the lovely areas around the Great Lakes and the Upper Peninsula. Lots to explore.

Moving in and of itself is expensive however if you are going to rent it is not as 'permanent' a move as renting is.

The 'best' hospitals are in Ann Arbor and Royal Oak if you anticipate health concerns of any magnitude. Again, hours from Midland.

As a native who has lived in a suburb of Detroit my whole life but has spent quite a bit of time in South Carolina I would say the biggest difference in the two is that Michigan tends to be cloudy and overcast much of the time. Especially in the colder months. That is the biggest issue I have...not the cold weather. I enjoy travelling to sunnier climates, especially from January to late March. However, speaking of weather the snow gets plowed pretty fast but the icy roads cause most of the accidents...they are harder to clear and the main reason schools are closed.

It does not start to warm up here until May and even now one day it can be 80  and the next 48.

You will probably find yourself staying in a bit more in the winter but may get out more in the summer because we have lower humidity and the sun is not as intense. It does rain a bit in the spring and fall.

Our  humidity is much lower and we don't have bugs except mosquitoes, bees and ants.

I agree with the poster who said you should consider the 'child' you are living close to and their spouse...but you probably have done that.

Trusted Contributor

@matty liz  Good points made about leaving your daughters.  I don't know your age, but maybe you would qualify for an income-based senior comunity and still live near your daughters.   

Valued Contributor

Thoughtful point and when I asked my daughter in law that she said they would take us with them.  Thank you.  You are really a help

Esteemed Contributor

@teainlondon

@teainlondon wrote:

My only concern would be leaving the daughters to move to the son. I don't know your age, but in my experience, daughters are the ones who know how to help older parents. Sons care; they just don't know what to do and sons' wives aren't as quick to help with older in-law parents. I may have this all wrong, but if I had to choose, I'd stay with daughters over son for that main reason.

The two sections of the country are drastically different. We are in TN are accustomed to Southern ways since we were born and raised in the deep South. When I was growing up, I spent time in Michigan several times a year. It was just different. I liked both areas for different reasons, so choosing a place wouldn't bother me. I'd do some serious research and get info from the web about costs and housing and amenities, etc.

Thnking about a son caring for me over a daughter would scare me.

Good luck with your decision. I wish you the best.

tea

I guess I,m an exception.  My two son's a lot more caring than my daughter.  She is too busy all he time.  

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@matty liz

The bonus is that you can get a new outfit for pumpkin picking! Cat LOL

@lolakimono

Oh, Lola! How many times have we heard this one on Q over all these years, LOL!

Thanks for the laugh and the memory!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@teainlondon wrote:

My only concern would be leaving the daughters to move to the son. I don't know your age, but in my experience, daughters are the ones who know how to help older parents. Sons care; they just don't know what to do and sons' wives aren't as quick to help with older in-law parents. I may have this all wrong, but if I had to choose, I'd stay with daughters over son for that main reason.

The two sections of the country are drastically different. We are in TN are accustomed to Southern ways since we were born and raised in the deep South. When I was growing up, I spent time in Michigan several times a year. It was just different. I liked both areas for different reasons, so choosing a place wouldn't bother me. I'd do some serious research and get info from the web about costs and housing and amenities, etc.

Thnking about a son caring for me over a daughter would scare me.

Good luck with your decision. I wish you the best.

tea

@teainlondon

That's not always the case, as my DH and I have full responsibility for his Mom (still living in her home, but can't drive now) even though he has a sister and all of us live within a mile of each other.

We take her to every DR., Dentist, Lab appt., as well as take her to the grocery store, bank, drug store, WalMart, every Thursday.

We're lucky if his sister will take her to the beauty shop or church every once in awhile.

ETA: Don't discount the loyalty of many sons to their mothers.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I'm thinking that you can give it a try.   I'd probably keep much of my things in storage, near one of your daughters' house.  In fact, maybe you can rent a furnished apt. in Michigan, on a monthly basis.  Try it out for, say, six months or so.  If you decide to stay, your daughters can ship your remaining items to you.  p.s.  While you are there, you can find another unfurnished apt. and have your heavy furniture shipped to that apt.   ........... Well, it's a thought anyway.  Something I'd think of doing.  The best of luck to you. Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I would simply buy a mobile home, or move to a cheaper area of TN.   

Michigan is a lot like West Virginia with 4 distinct seasons, but I've never been anywhere inside my home state of WV, that I'm not surrounded by mountains and trees.   I wouldn't trade living rural near the woods, to live near water.   WV has warm to hot summers, but we don't normally have sweltering summers with many 90 degree temperatures or stifling humidity.   

Tennessee has the mountain ranges I love, but I cannot tolerate the sweltering summer heat and stifling humidity in the southern areas around Smyrna and Franklin.   If you have lived there 7 years and tolerated the heat, humidity, and summer storms for that long, I would simply look for a cheaper place to rent.   

Honored Contributor

Awesome cherry pies, from what I hear.  8)

Honored Contributor

I live on the West Coast so I cannot comment on either location but if you only rent now you can always change you mind if after a year or two you don't like it there.