Honored Contributor

Re: Work Issue - Want your OPINION

@Happiness Is Inside JOB Contrary to what someone posted, DO NOT record anything until you check the laws in your state.

Some states allow you to record w/out informing the other party, some don't.

I was a legal secretary for many years and learned this at that time.

Also, on People's Court and Judge Judy I've seen people denied the right to play a recording as they have violated the laws of their state.

Wish you the best of luck.

As others have said, just tell the truth.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB Contrary to what someone posted, DO NOT record anything until you check the laws in your state.

Some states allow you to record w/out informing the other party, some don't.

I was a legal secretary for many years and learned this at that time.

Also, on People's Court and Judge Judy I've seen people denied the right to play a recording as they have violated the laws of their state.

Wish you the best of luck.

As others have said, just tell the truth.

Absolutely correct. Bad advice.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 I've wanted to tell you for ages that I LOVE your avatar. Always gives me a smile.

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

I added to my original post based on DHs advice...it was a few posts before this one.

If you can share the outcome of today, I’d love to know how it went!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I recommend legal representation. Until you get it I wouldn’t say anything,period.

Esteemed Contributor

Talk to Human Resources. That department is  supposed to work FOR employees, however, no guarantee. Take good notes. Remember, a person you would go out on a limb for -- could throw you under the bus if situation was reversed.

Do your best to stay neutral. Organizations we work for have rules and regs but you work FOR them and not everything is fair or enjoyable. They pay you to work for a reason. Good luck to you.

The jobs I enjoyed the most are ones I didn't overthink situations or care too much. It's torture if you do that. Good luck to you.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Frequent Contributor

Tell him you are going to do exactly what he would want you to do.  You are going to answer any questions presented as honestly as you can and in accordance with agency policy.  And that you intend to follow agency policy and not discuss anything about the situation with anyone else unless it is accordance with the agency's policies and procedures. 

Put him between a rock and a hard place.  This will let him know that if he pressures you, he will be violating agency policy and putting himself at risk. 

Esteemed Contributor

The most troubling statement is that you MADE SOME COMMENTS ABOUT THE ISSUE.    This is going to blow back at you.

Trusted Contributor

Well, he did not mention the case in the meeting.  It was about upcoming projects.  SO I guess I was jumping the GUN.

I know it is going to come up at SOME POINT, so now I have the time to prepare.

I am thankful for all your comments. I followed many of your tips during the today's meeting.  I kept my mouth shut and only answered the questions asked.

A little history:

I talk to Employee A and she tells me how she feels.  I do agree with HER, as I know, I would feel the same way if I was in her situation.

The difference in treatment is obvious to everyone but from this point, I will keep my mouth shut.

I am going to get legal counsel and if ever asked I'm going to follow the advice listed on here.  I even printed out many of your comments to REMIND myself what to say.

When you work somewhere for years, and you see a person sleeping at their desk, coming in late, just talking cause they have NO WORK, anyone would feel annoyed so I do agree with Employee A.  But at the same time, I have to work in this office until I can get another job.  

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  It's rough and when you need the job you are working, you almost have to keep your opinion to yourself.  It's a matter of survival. 

Image result for sergeant schultz

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise