Esteemed Contributor

Re: Work Issue - Want your OPINION

I'm confused. You're in human resources? And your supervisor wants to meet with you to discuss the complaint or what you'll say to the equal employment opportunity person? Do you have a good relationship with your supervisor? Or, is he trying to find out what you're going to say that may be negative against your company and what has happened? Honestly, it all sounds a bit screwed up. I guess I'd tell your supervisor that you will be honest and tell them what you know. No more and no less - you'll answer their questions honestly, whether it benefits the company or the employee. If you have a good relationship with your supervisor, then you talk to him/her. If you don't, and you think something is going on then you need to be careful what you say.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I work in the public sector and we are compelled to participate in investigations if called as a witness.  We cannot say I don't want to be involved.

This isn't a court case.  Just answer the questions posed.  They'll probably ask about the culture of the department/division/ section you're in, which you do have knowledge of.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB Contrary to what someone posted, DO NOT record anything until you check the laws in your state.

Some states allow you to record w/out informing the other party, some don't.

I was a legal secretary for many years and learned this at that time.

Also, on People's Court and Judge Judy I've seen people denied the right to play a recording as they have violated the laws of their state.

Wish you the best of luck.

As others have said, just tell the truth.

Absolutely correct. Bad advice.

Terrible, terrible advice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

All Federal agencies have a document called something like FAQ for Witnesses.  It has the answers and the regulations you can cite should someone press you for information:

https://www.treasury.gov/about/organizational-structure/offices/Mgt/Documents/FAQ-Witnesses-in-Forma...

Generally, EEO matters are confidential and should
not be discussed with any other witness or potential
witness. Doing so may violate the Privacy Act, or
result in a variety of adverse consequences to the
agency. If you have questions or concerns, consult
your bureau EEO Officer, OCRD, or agency counsel
for guidance. Finally, your statement is your
statement, based on what you recall; therefore, your
statement should reflect what you now recall rather
than any reliance on what someone else may recall.

If you are a state agency, your agency may have something similar.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Hire an attorney.

Esteemed Contributor

Tough one.  Seems they should not have dragged you in.  You can 1.  be honest  2.  show some sort of concern for the position they have put you in  3.  tell them what you personally have observed 4.  see if  you can appear to mediate by supporting both sides at once as if  you are counseling children.  (in other words show that there might be two sides to a story and everyone can be right.  I am a retired teacher so you can tell how I fixed things.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I would ask Human Resources what they'd recommend.  If you are Human Resources (that wasn't clear), then just be honest.  You have to live with your conscience.  It seems government workers have all kinds of protection that poor private sector folk do not, so I wouldn't fear for your job.

Thanks

Our OHR Office is not in our state, so I work with them to get things done but I'm not in the OHR Office. 

I'm hesitant to call OHR because they or at least many of the people....to get ahead....they go RIGHT BACK and tell management.  I need to get legal advice from an outside source who can't come back and tell the same managers I work with.

In my last position for fifteen years I was a manger and had many dealings with HR.  My advice to you is to NOT ask for their advice.  I was constantly amazed at the things that were done and said and would not trust them for a minute.  I am not talking about a small company, I am referring to a huge well known organization known all over the world.  Contact an outside legal firm that specializes in employee relations.  It may cost you some money but in the long run it will be worth it.  Good luck to you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Talk to Human Resources. That department is  supposed to work FOR employees, however, no guarantee. Take good notes. Remember, a person you would go out on a limb for -- could throw you under the bus if situation was reversed.

Do your best to stay neutral. Organizations we work for have rules and regs but you work FOR them and not everything is fair or enjoyable. They pay you to work for a reason. Good luck to you.

The jobs I enjoyed the most are ones I didn't overthink situations or care too much. It's torture if you do that. Good luck to you.       

Unfortunately, that is what most employees believe but it is not true.  From fifteen years of dealing with HR it became clear very quickly that they are there to protect the company first.  HR is the last person an employee should go to in the poster's situation, an employee relations legal attorney is the best bet.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

I have a friend who recently went through this type of thing.  The staff in her department ALL filed a complaint against the boss.  The sad thing was, they were so certain that all this effort would change things and it really never did.  I hope all this works out for your coworker.  As far as your part, I would be truthful and if the boss asks, if would ask why he is inquiring.

Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

All Federal agencies have a document called something like FAQ for Witnesses.  It has the answers and the regulations you can cite should someone press you for information:

https://www.treasury.gov/about/organizational-structure/offices/Mgt/Documents/FAQ-Witnesses-in-Forma...

Generally, EEO matters are confidential and should
not be discussed with any other witness or potential
witness. Doing so may violate the Privacy Act, or
result in a variety of adverse consequences to the
agency. If you have questions or concerns, consult
your bureau EEO Officer, OCRD, or agency counsel
for guidance. Finally, your statement is your
statement, based on what you recall; therefore, your
statement should reflect what you now recall rather
than any reliance on what someone else may recall.

If you are a state agency, your agency may have something similar.

I am so THANKFUL for this information!!!!

thank you!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!