Esteemed Contributor

@mintedrose, If DH asks me to make an appointment for him, I make it and immediately put it on the calendar.  I let him know when the appointment is scheduled and he can then read the calendar.  I am not his mother.  Either he gets there or he doesn't.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

You are not his mommy and you are not his secretary.  Let him handle it.  When he does not handle it, do not allow him to make it your fault.

Head him off at the pass. 

Write down the names, addresses and phone numbers of every person he needs to see.

Date it.

Hand it to him.

Never look back.

Contributor

I also stretched out the use of contacts and woke up one morning unable to see. I had developed corneal ulcers and was in the eye surgery unit within hours,.  Took weeks to heal . Tell your husband of the risk he's taking

Honored Contributor

@beth58 wrote:

I also stretched out the use of contacts and woke up one morning unable to see. I had developed corneal ulcers and was in the eye surgery unit within hours,.  Took weeks to heal . Tell your husband of the risk he's taking

@beth58- This is what I was hinting at in my previous post.  Many, many years ago, I worked as an optician for several years.  I have also worn glasses my entire life and contacts for a while.

I would never risk anything to do with my eyes.  People have lost their sight from something like this and we got to see a lot of the damage that can occur.  Make me shudder, whenever I hear of someone not taking proper care of their contacts.

Honored Contributor

I agree with everyone upthread.

But I have to think...’I’m busy’ is just code for ‘I don’t want to go.’

Why doesn’t he want to go?

Would an eye appointment pick up on an illness he feels

would be exposed? Eye appointment=diabetes, HPB?

Or any other appointment, for that matter?

If he is concerned, just talking about it might make him feel 

empowered to visit the doctor w/out fear.

If he’s not concerned? Give him the Dr. phone numbers &

tell him he’s on his own. #ToughLove

Respected Contributor

I don't make appointments for my husband because there always seems to be a caveat attached.

@mintedrose  Just tell your husband you will no longer make his appointments; that it would be better he makes them as he knows his schedule the best.  Perhaps once he has to take responsibility he will become more reliable in keeping them.  As long as he has you to fall back on he won't change.

Honored Contributor

I can understand missing an appt once and a while, but not all of them.  If he's always been like this, then perhaps it's time he learned to take care of his own business.  If it's a new behavior, then there may be more to it.  Like mentioned, is there something going on medically.  Reschedule the appointment and take him.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why does DH do this?

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose - STOP enabling him. He is a grown man, why are you making and remaking appointments for him? 

Do not make another appointment for him. If he asks you about them tell him he should make his own to fit his schedule. Show him how to put reminders on his phone.

Maybe if he starts getting charged for missed appointments he won't be so quick to "forget" them.

My DH makes all his own and I don't remind him of them. The only ones I need to know about are those that require me to drive.

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose You're NOT his mommy.

Let him fend for himself and deal with the consequences. Good grief.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why does DH do this?

[ Edited ]

The Dr's I go to will either kick you out as a patient, or charge you for the missed appointments. (given 24 hour notice)

If this is a just a eyeglass place, they probably won't do anything.