Valued Contributor

Why does DH do this?

[ Edited ]

I love my DH but sometimes i just wanna strangle him. He never makes his own appointments, whether its for eyes, teeth, general stuff. I know he has a busy schedule and in the past Ive had to schedule them all but now im just fed up with it.  I literally have to remind him like a child every few hours or he'll make up an excuse. 

He's missed his eyes appointment 3 times now and ive had to cancel and reschedule numerous times because of his schedule or he'll have something else he gets busy with. The problem is he wears contacts and he's run out of them a month ago so he's been stretching them out which is irritating his eyes. Ive been on his case to go to his eye doctor. He says he cant because of schedule. So I end up asking them for a pair of extra contacts for him which can last an extra month hoping he can find time in a month.

His appointment was scheduled today, he was supposed to go after he got done meeting up with his dad. Well, guess what, now he's over their house fixing their printer and God know what else. I reminded him again that his appointment is later today but he thought he missed it already. My goodness. Is it just me? What is up with men these days? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Respected Contributor

I would never make my husband's appointments for him.  

Give him the phone number and let him deal with it.  When he runs out of contact lenses it will be his problem.  You are not his mommy.  Let him suffer the consequences.  

I wouldn't generalize and say what is up with men.  My husband is not like that.

Honored Contributor

My DH is the same but he is retired and can't use the excuse he's "busy."  So unless I make the appointments, he doesn't go.  I think this is a common trait of men for whatever reason.  

So what's the worse that will happen if you don't remind him?  If he runs out of contacts and can't see, maybe then he'll keep his appointment???

Valued Contributor

I agree with Pinkypetunia. He’s a grown man. Let him make his own appointments; if he misses it, no fault of yours. My husband always makes and keeps his own appointments. I have never made an appointment for him.

Esteemed Contributor

you're enabling him.....

Honored Contributor

Frankly, I wouldn't make another eye appointment of ask for an extension of his current prescription. You tried, now let him deal with it.

Honored Contributor

My DH makes his own appointments and goes to them.  He very rarely needs a reminder.  I make my own as well.

I think some men just don't want to go to any kind of medical appointment.  If that's the case, you're going to have to stop scheduling things for him and let the chips fall where they may.

You're lucky, if you haven't been charged for all those missed appointments.  Where I am, they might excuse one missed appointment for a long-time patient, but for repeated offenses they would bill for it.

It's inconsiderate to others who might've needed that appointment and couldn't have it because your DH did and it's disrepectful to the the professional.  Wasting their time is rude.  Perhaps he could see it from that perspective.

And as far as stretching out his contacts and his eyes getting irritated - he's lucky, if that's the only complication he gets.  Messing with anything you put in your eyes is downright foolish, due to the risk of infection.

Stop being his nanny and see what happens.

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose  I am very fortunate because I could never begin to repay my husband for what he has brought to my life and for the zillion things he does for me, so no, I can't get to see this as a real big issue.  Especially now that we are old.  It's too precious to worry about stuff like that at this stage of life. 

Honored Contributor

Your DH does it because he’s lazy, and because you always come along behind him and fix it.   STOP enabling his laziness.  Marrying does not mean taking someone else to raise.   

Honored Contributor

DH is very good about making his own appointments and keeping them.

He may be forgetful or absentminded in other areas but not when it comes to appointments.