Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I would take it to the police.  You never know some lazy post office worker might just send it on to the people it belongs to, not wanting to deal with the paperwork involved.  I'm just saying.....

Often there are groups that do things like that (in big cities).  My daughter who lives in a large city in Va had a neighbor call and said she saw groups of women in cars riding around opening people's mailboxes and called the police.  I don't know what happened.

Lazy post office worker?  That's a pretty broad statement.

The post office has special investigators that handle these cases.  Call them.  They take this stuff VERY seriously and are GOOD at what they do.

Honored Contributor

Another vote for contacting the local police.  Tampering with mail is a federal crime.

Respected Contributor

I highly doubt the police would do anything about it.  The victim of a crime has to report the crime before they will take a report.  And if the victim doesn't know about it, how do they file the complaint.

The post office puts opened envelopes in a plastic bag and delivers it to the house with a note on the bag that says the contents were damaged elsewhere with no other information.

The only way the recipient of the mail will know what happened, is if you give it to the owner with your explanation.  I think they are entitled to know.  What if they were expecting that card with money and it never showed up?

I would do for them whatever you would hope that people do for you in the same situation.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I highly doubt the police would do anything about it.  The victim of a crime has to report the crime before they will take a report.  And if the victim doesn't know about it, how do they file the complaint.

The post office puts opened envelopes in a plastic bag and delivers it to the house with a note on the bag that says the contents were damaged elsewhere with no other information.

The only way the recipient of the mail will know what happened, is if you give it to the owner with your explanation.  I think they are entitled to know.  What if they were expecting that card with money and it never showed up?

I would do for them whatever you would hope that people do for you in the same situation.

@Scooby Doo  This is what I will attempt to do this morning when out on my walk. I think that they can decide to go to the  police or post office about the issue. Hopefully they will invest in a locked mail box.  Again thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Most helpful!

Valued Contributor

@x Hedge is so right call police. it is a crime for mail theft.A few years ago someone   stole  mail  and threw it along the highway lots of it.. I found an open box of checks,  than more checks all over the  road. i called police before picking anything up.  It is a federal offense for who ever did this. I would let someone else handle this , i wouldnt deliver it to the person involved.  Happy holidays , you are a very honest person, lots of people would just ignore it.. Police will handle it.

Honored Contributor

I would call the police non-emergency number and have them come pick it up and stay with it until they arrived and interviewed me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN