Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I have 4 veneers and so happy go pay the money get it done right with a dentist. My enamel wore away & just had to do it. I will say I am protective which means don't eat corn on the cob or bite into a carmel candy. About 11yrs later had to redo them no problem because most of it just needed to be replaced not as expensive as the 1st time. Don't go for real white looks fake, they will match up the color with the rest of the teeth which is more natural. Money well spent because makes me happy and more confident when I laugh. Go for it don't listen to DH. Funny my DH never said a word. I was upset too with the price but he knew I needed it done. You deserve it. 

@sissel , I agree about not going too white. A coworker did that and honestly, it looked like her teeth were crazy white. I know that sounds strange but they almost glowed like a neon sign in the dark. Looked very unnatural.

@SeaMaiden , I definitely say to do it! But it’s ok to take a little while to strategically get your hub on board. 😊

I always wanted straight teeth. So I got braces as a 30 yr old pregnant lady!  Had them off after son was born. Then paid to have bleach trays made by my dentist and under his supervision, I whitened my teeth. Absolutely love the result and have never regretted it. That was 30+ yrs ago. So many family pictures have been taken over the years and looking at these reaffirms that I made the right decision. 

You said you can afford this and my feeling is: this is why you worked and saved over the years. You can’t take $ with you when ya go. And to be in your situation where you are retired and can afford to drop $10,000 on this procedure tells me you and your dh are likely careful and not frivolous about your spending.  Obviously do your research but I say, go for it! 

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@sissel wrote:

I have 4 veneers and so happy go pay the money get it done right with a dentist. My enamel wore away & just had to do it. I will say I am protective which means don't eat corn on the cob or bite into a carmel candy. About 11yrs later had to redo them no problem because most of it just needed to be replaced not as expensive as the 1st time. Don't go for real white looks fake, they will match up the color with the rest of the teeth which is more natural. Money well spent because makes me happy and more confident when I laugh. Go for it don't listen to DH. Funny my DH never said a word. I was upset too with the price but he knew I needed it done. You deserve it. 

@sissel , I agree about not going too white. A coworker did that and honestly, it looked like her teeth were crazy white. I know that sounds strange but they almost glowed like a neon sign in the dark. Looked very unnatural.

@SeaMaiden , I definitely say to do it! But it’s ok to take a little while to strategically get your hub on board. 😊

I always wanted straight teeth. So I got braces as a 30 yr old pregnant lady!  Had them off after son was born. Then paid to have bleach trays made by my dentist and under his supervision, I whitened my teeth. Absolutely love the result and have never regretted it. That was 30+ yrs ago. So many family pictures have been taken over the years and looking at these reaffirms that I made the right decision. 

You said you can afford this and my feeling is: this is why you worked and saved over the years. You can’t take $ with you when ya go. And to be in your situation where you are retired and can afford to drop $10,000 on this procedure tells me you and your dh are likely careful and not frivolous about your spending.  Obviously do your research but I say, go for it! 

@Kalli     Nice that you still like what you did to improve your smile!  Yes, I can not take money with me... but I can take my teeth!  Woman Very Happy  This is a really weird sounding thing for me to say but, when I see celebrities pictures who have passed away... I always look at their teeth and the beautiful smile they had... and took with them... thinking WISH I HAD THOSE TEETH... lol!>>>>>

Honored Contributor

Re: What Should I Do?

[ Edited ]

@camelot wrote:

Nananana59: Seriously NOT!!!

DDS go to school a long time to learn.They are licensed, insured, have student loans and have a dental practice to run. It costs $$.

@camelot   It is a long time before they see a return on their initial investment.  Dental office chairs and materials are way more expensive than beginning a doctor's office which requires tables and chairs, as do dentists offices but the equipment for a dentist is much more expensive so return on investment takes far longer. Doctors often have hospitals which will provide these furnishings for them.  So once a dentist has earned the money of the initial outlay of the hundreds of thousands on education and perhaps millions on getting set up in practice, and other dentists are charging even more by that time, and they like to have the money they have worked so hard for, they continue to charge because they are inclined to forced retirement of some dread disease earlier than doctors.

Dentists get lung disease and respiratory illness more often because they are inhaling compounds of siica and asbestos which are used in their work.  Many have silicosis and asbestosis 

My dentist brother, who is older than I am, had to retire long ago due to respiratory illness, so whatever he earned, he did not get the chance to enjoy.  He has been bedridden for quite some time.

My endodontist developed Lou Gehrig's which is believed to have been caused from his profession.  

Plus all the years of halitosis from patients and breathing in their patients' germs.  Ouch. I could not do it, humped over someone's face and when the mouth is dried out from the work they are doing, the smell of bad breath and jitters from patients is permeating.  No, I think I prefer being poor.

Respected Contributor

@camelot wrote:

vsm: Applyinig veneers is a cosmetic procedure where a "compromise" could be worse than nothing.  Having a dental school student do a needed replacement of a crown might be one thing -- if there's a problem, it can be fairly easily remedied (although it will cost you).  Not so with veneers.  You want them done once and done right -- after all, you'll be looking at them every day for what could be the rest of your life.

I'm aware veneers are a cosmetic procedure. Compromise means other options. I have had experience with a reputable dental school doing cosmetic work. 

IMO: I would not want veneers. You have to watch what foods you can eat, they can break, & don't last long, increased sensitivity, irreversible procedure, high cost.  Many look fake. Too white, they jump out at you.  There are other options.

I've had mine for more than a decade with no problems of any kind, let alone the ones you mentioned.  You're right that it's important to avoid going too white.  But there are 1/2 and even 1/4 shade gradations now to ensure a natural look.  Sorry that you didn't have as positive an experience with them as I did.  I was fortunate that my dentist is a skilled practitioner who had done dozens of veneer procedures before he did mine and was proud to show me befores-and-afters of his patients.  He wasn't inexpensive, but I got what I paid for and then some.

Trusted Contributor

I had my front teeth done in 1999.  At that time, it was about $10M.  I opened a credit card to pay them off.  30 years later, my teeth still look decent; no cracks, no falling off.  Not sure why people are saying they last only 10 years.

@SeaMaiden,

I think you should go for it.  If you think it is too pricey, ask your dentist if he has any other recommendations.  What's so wrong with wanting to feel good about yourself??  I'm not understanding the negative comments.  

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Super Contributor

I would suggest that you continue a dialogue with your husband regarding your teeth.  If I understand correctly, it sounds like he is not exactly against it but just not fully on board.  It is a lot of money, but you can afford it, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to feel good about yourself.

I have a somewhat similar situation.  Hubby and I have been talking about building a sunroom addition to our house for several years now.  We got several quotes, all of them quite high.  I had pretty much written off the idea, but my husband really wanted that sunroom.  We talked about it, and talked about it some more.  We can afford it, and my husband has worked really hard all his life, traveling for work weeks on end, etc.  So, long story short, we are in the middle of a sunroom addition.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but this is really his (very expensive) baby.

I think if you continue to explain to your husband why this is so important to you, he just might come around.  No, you don't have to ask his permission, but I think it shows respect that you want his input.  

As many have pointed out, you can't take it with you, and you should not feel guilty for wanting a nice smile.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Re: What Should I Do?

[ Edited ]

I had crooked teeth all my life, and was very self-conscious.  At 60 I decided to get braces.  I was still married at the time, and though my husband didn't come right out and say "No"...he made it clear by comments about the cost, along with his facial expressions, that made his disapproval clear.

i had worked for our entire marriage...over 40 years, and never asked for or bought anything expensive.  We had plenty of money saved.  I got the braces.

That nasty reaction was indicative of other longstanding issues.  He is now my ex-husband.  

Get your teeth fixed and enjoy your new smile.  I love having nice straight teeth and being able to bite cleanly through my food.  I'm sure your DH will be more supportive than mine was!

Honored Contributor

By now you should know you can’t make a person say or do something just because YOU want it.

It doesn’t appear that he’s going to say, “Go for it”.

I don’t know him or your money situation.  However, I would suggest his skepticism is not about money, but more about worry about being ‘left behind’.

He might be feeling a bit insecure.  Perhaps there’s something in the back of his mind ...More like..if she looks great...where do I fit in.

My advice is for you to get done anything YOU want to do.  You seem like a well grounded person.

Perhaps you could spend a little extra time in making him feel a little more secure and letting him understand it’s just something you want to do for yourself.

Maybe find something he enjoys that, in the past you haven’t shown much interest in, and join him.

You didn’t really need our approval ( or anyone else’s)...now go do your thing lady

Esteemed Contributor

As the daughter and sister of dentists, I have a simple answer to your question of what to say to your husband. "I am going to get those veneers."

Respected Contributor

If you have your heart set on veneers, I don't think you will be happy with anything else. In my own experience, substitutes never work when I know what I really want.