Respected Contributor

Re: Wanting to give up a job.......

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Luvsmyfam   Try living on one job's income and put your self on a budget...follow it for several months, see where your money goes.  

Then you can decide if you are able to leave one job.

This.  

See how you are with one income for several months.  Then you wil know for sure if you can safely quit one job.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

You already the know the answer to that.  At your age, working two jobs is exhausting.  It's affecting your mental well-being and health.  Since we don't know what your living expenses are, how much debt you are in, what savings/investments you have....we can't offer any suggestions.  You have to do the math to determine if/how you support yourself without working two jobs or on your SSA since you are of retirement age.  Does "going without" mean that you don't want to live on a lower income?  Or does it mean you don't want to tap into savings/investments to maintain your lifestyle?  

Super Contributor

@hckynutjohn  I hope you don't mind me asking, what kind of cars did you race? My husband races a Dirt Modified and my son races a Crate Sportsman. I understand, and can tell how much you loved it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had only one job when I was working. It payed well but then all was taken away when I became disabled and could no longer work any job. Financially I fell hard and had to give up many of the things I had and could keep having when I was working. If I could give any advice today it would be work hard for as long as you can and don't stop until you are no longer physically/mentally able to work. It can be gone tomorrow, unexpectedly.

ETA-

I was only 45yo when I lost my job (I'm 67 now). I didn't even have enough working credits to qualify to receive SSD so I had to buy health insurance and live off of my bank savings until I got my regular state pension which took months to get. That drained a lot of my money away, especially having to pay medical bills I had from my condition.  If you are under age 65, you better hope and pray that you don't become disabled b/c things are very difficult and not the same as it it for a senior.

Respected Contributor

Be thankful you're able to work.....

Esteemed Contributor

How does your schedule work between the two jobs. @Luvsmyfam  Do you get a day off, or are you working 7 days a week? How long is your workday?

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam Lots of good advice here! Do a budget and cut spending on things you don't need but only want. Girlie things are all well and good but as we get older we find we don't really 'need" a lot of that stuff!

Since you are on SS as someone said check out the Affordable Care Act or Medicare for medical coverage.

Do a budget, that's #1. Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Luvsmyfam   Surely you will be eligible for Medicare now that you are social security age.  Not sure of your age if you took SS early and aren't 65 yet.  Having Medicare should ease your finances I would think.

@KathyM23 @You can get Social Security at 62 but you can't get Medicare until 65.

Honored Contributor

You are going to need to look at your budget and see if it's possible. For me, I'd work the one job I liked best and cut down on girly things. Limiting purchases to needs (and not wants) can trim a lot off a person's spending.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

well q friends,as you all know,I work 2 jobs.im finding myself tiring easily,getting very impatient and just plain not wanting to do both jobs anymore.my problem is this,I know my lifestyle.i know I love girlie things.ive started to collect ss,but still afraid to go without.anyone out there with this same delema?I know it's not the end of the world,but it really has been playing on my mind

@Luvsmyfam @if you are 65, you can get Medicare and could probably quit the job if you feel so burned out. The Affordable Care Act premiums, even with all the reductions you could be eligible for, has incredibly high monthly premiums for those in their late 50's and early 60's.

Maybe, you could take a two month leave of absence from one of your jobs in order to reenergize. It might be a good idea to cut back on the girly things for awhile. Our economy isn't great right now and having more cash can benefit you.

Some of the online doctor companies can see you without any insurance. I think Teladoc is one of them. They can order a couple basic blood tests or help with other illnesses.