Respected Contributor

Wanting to give up a job.......

well q friends,as you all know,I work 2 jobs.im finding myself tiring easily,getting very impatient and just plain not wanting to do both jobs anymore.my problem is this,I know my lifestyle.i know I love girlie things.ive started to collect ss,but still afraid to go without.anyone out there with this same delema?I know it's not the end of the world,but it really has been playing on my mind

Honored Contributor

Re: Wanting to give up a job.......

@Luvsmyfam    Only you know what your budget, income and expenditures are so only you can evaluate them and make a decision.  Personally, I'd rein my spendiǹg in and tighten the budget to quit the extra job if at all possible.  You'd probably be a happier person but that that's strictly your decision.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   Since you are now on SS we will be getting a big increase in a couple months.  When you work and have a certain amout of income you have to pay income tax on a portion of your social security.in addition to what you are taxed on your income from your jobs.

Do some figuring and think if you quit your lesser paying job, with the SS increase and only one other income you will be paying less in income tax.   Maybe you will end up with just about the same amount of money you are currently getting with two jobs.

Respected Contributor

What about your health insurance? Does your jobs offer you the insurance? Be careful not to give that up.

Respected Contributor

What I wouldn't give for health insurance.no I have none from neither job
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam   Surely you will be eligible for Medicare now that you are social security age.  Not sure of your age if you took SS early and aren't 65 yet.  Having Medicare should ease your finances I would think.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam    Have you checked insurance options under the Affordable Care Act?  You can check your state's options online.  It becomes so important to have insurance as you get older, could be a matter of life and death.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I do not know anything about you or what jobs you do.

Some people are crazy happy about their professions and want to continue working forever. Others are extremely dedicated to their career and it becomes part of their persona.  Some folks are ambitious and like job hopping and climbing the ladder. Some people choose jobs that allow more free time to do hobbies and be with family.

My father worked from age 14 to age 83 non-stop, except when he served in WW II.  He taught us the value of education and how important it was to study, plan, prepare, budget, and work!  He made all of us get jobs as teenagers so we would learn the values of being good employees and money management. We also all had to bring home good grades and focus on our futures.

However, as we age, our priorities and needs change, as well as our physical abilities to accomplish tasks.

Are you working just so you can buy unnecessary things?  Have you ever calculated your true budget and your needs?  Do you really like your jobs? How is your health?

If you do not have any benefits, your jobs sound like lower-level postions, sorry.  Perhaps the goal should be to quit BOTH jobs and find ONE higher paying job that offers strong benefits (health insurance, retirement, sick and vacation days, etc.).  Right now there are many openings in many companies.

I do not know how long you plan to continue working in life.  However, if you started SS before your full retirement age (FRA), unfortunately you can only earn a certain maximum amount each year without getting money deducted from SS.  Once you are 65, of course, you are eligible for Medicare. At FRA, you can earn as much as you want.  

You need to self-reflect, and perhaps meet with a professional financial planner.  

Best wishes!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Luvsmyfam 

I worked 1 full time job for 33 years at the same company. Mostly 40 hour weeks(my choice, but OT at time and a half pay, was available). My man-e thing was Auto Racing, and I raced all around the Midwest for close to 20 years.

Loved cars and racing, but not at the expense of giving up my lifestyle to do so. Little by little over the years, Auto Racing Competitively, cost a lot more money. Did I want to keep Racing(my man-e thing), by working more hours or 2 jobs? Or did I want to live my life without Auto Racing?

There was much more to my life than just Auto Racing, and did I want to give up those things to spend more time working, or replace Auto Racing with a different, and cheaper hobby?

You are talking about things(girlie), I was talking about my love of a hobby that was a big part of my life at that time, but!!! Not the only part of my pretty active lifestyle.

What did I do? I did not give up the hours of my life working to support a hobby, thus losing much of the other parts of my active life. I quit Auto Racing and found a much cheaper hobby!

My free hours were more important to me than any 1 man-e thing. Was it easy? Of course not, but I had a choice to make man-e things, or living the other parts of my full active life.

Replaced Auto Racing with Racing with my feet, Running Road Races. Only needed shoes, and in those days, there was no such thing as Running Shoes. You bought regular old shoes that were comfortable running in for many miles. Much cheaper than replacing broken Auto Parts, and the hours spent working on the car to replace them.

Do you your free time more, or your girlie things more? You say you are tired and impatient working 2 jobs! Your solution sounds very simple to me.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

well q friends,as you all know,I work 2 jobs.im finding myself tiring easily,getting very impatient and just plain not wanting to do both jobs anymore.my problem is this,I know my lifestyle.i know I love girlie things.ive started to collect ss,but still afraid to go without.anyone out there with this same delema?I know it's not the end of the world,but it really has been playing on my mind

@Luvsmyfam 

Are you comfortable that you have enough money in savings to give you a good cushion for the future?  Savings could be the determining factor.   

Have you ever spoken to a financial professional about retirement?