Contributor

Re: Wanting to give up a job.......

@Sherri  I definitely agree with what Kachina so well stated.  Yes, it is ultimately your decision.  Sometimes writing tough decisions down can help.  Get 2 sheets of paper, one marked PROS and one marked CONS.  Then list items under each one.  This process just helps clarify and helps with the decision making.  The very best for you!

Respected Contributor

Some good thoughts have been shared. Another thing to consider is what would be less stressful. Continuing with both jobs or stressing about paying bills, rising inflation, etc?

Honored Contributor

1. Make a budget and see where you stand.
2. Make sure you have savings.
3. Keep both jobs for at least several months, if possible. Live on only ONE income during that time and save the other income. See how you do.
4. Re-evaluate.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D @Luvsmyfam   That's why I said I wasn't sure if she took SS early and didn't know if she is 65 yet as you have to be 65 to be eligible for Medicare.

Esteemed Contributor

@Frenchlop wrote:

@hckynutjohn  I hope you don't mind me asking, what kind of cars did you race? My husband races a Dirt Modified and my son races a Crate Sportsman. I understand, and can tell how much you loved it. 

@Frenchlop 

All the racing I did was with Drag Racing Cars. Standing Start/A Straight 1320'(quarter mile). I originally raced the only car I owned, and drove daily, starting in a different State(Kansas) when I was 16. It was a Stock Class 1950 Mercury. I paid cash for it when I was 15.

As competition got more serious, I opted to drive another car/several other used ones I bought and sold every year. I towed my Race Car because it was set up, with gears and engine timing etc for rscing, not practical for an every day driving car.

I raced a total of 6 different Race Cars over those years. The last one could not be driven on the street, it was built strictly for Drag Strip Racing. That one I towed on a trailer. It was a 1948 Ford Anglia, altered engine/Fuel Injectors/Magneto for spark/and partly fiberglass.

I had friends that raced Stock Cars, the ones that were similar to Nascar Racing. They raced on our local 1/3 mile Dirt Track Oval. Those were on Sunday Nights. Many times I would race my cars from morning till dusk, then go to watch the Stock Car Races as a spectator. After that I would head to work on the Graveyard Shift. No sleep!  😁

If you husband and son are like all the many men, and women, that love race cars? It gets into your blood and I don't think it ever goes away. I quit racing decades ago, but my love of race cars I can still literally feel.

Best of luck to your husband and son in their racing. Racing any type of race car can be a dangerous sport. Tell them to be safe for me!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's my understanding both jobs are only part time.  As many years as you have worked both jobs to make ends meet, I don't see how you can even think of giving one up, at a time when every utility, service, food, and personal need items are costing far more than we're used to paying.  

Honored Contributor

While I am looking forward to the "tremendous" raise being promoted by Medicare, there has never been one issued where everthing tied to Medicare hasn't raised in price as well..... not trying to cr*p on our parade but try to wait to see what (if any) is left for us once everyone has raised their prices.  I for one am praying the PTB will allow us to keep most of it this time just so we can meet our prescription costs.....Woman Frustrated   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:
What I wouldn't give for health insurance.no I have none from neither job

@Luvsmyfam that alone would be a deal breaker. One illness could bankrupt you.

There are a lot of companies looking for full time help with benefits. Maybe one job instead of two part time jobs would put you in a better position to accumulate more money for retirement. 

Respected Contributor

@Flying Dove  @Luvsmyfam   I have used this Pro and Con list every time I have had to make a major decision and it is a very enlightening and valuable tool to use.  Really helps clarify what should be done.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I do not know anything about you or what jobs you do.

Some people are crazy happy about their professions and want to continue working forever. Others are extremely dedicated to their career and it becomes part of their persona.  Some folks are ambitious and like job hopping and climbing the ladder. Some people choose jobs that allow more free time to do hobbies and be with family.

My father worked from age 14 to age 83 non-stop, except when he served in WW II.  He taught us the value of education and how important it was to study, plan, prepare, budget, and work!  He made all of us get jobs as teenagers so we would learn the values of being good employees and money management. We also all had to bring home good grades and focus on our futures.

However, as we age, our priorities and needs change, as well as our physical abilities to accomplish tasks.

Are you working just so you can buy unnecessary things?  Have you ever calculated your true budget and your needs?  Do you really like your jobs? How is your health?

If you do not have any benefits, your jobs sound like lower-level postions, sorry.  Perhaps the goal should be to quit BOTH jobs and find ONE higher paying job that offers strong benefits (health insurance, retirement, sick and vacation days, etc.).  Right now there are many openings in many companies.

I do not know how long you plan to continue working in life.  However, if you started SS before your full retirement age (FRA), unfortunately you can only earn a certain maximum amount each year without getting money deducted from SS.  Once you are 65, of course, you are eligible for Medicare. At FRA, you can earn as much as you want.  

You need to self-reflect, and perhaps meet with a professional financial planner.  

Best wishes!

This!!  If you are collecting SS early you could be penalized for making over a certain amount!  Please check to see if you are.  It might not be worth it for you to work that extra job.