Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I just wonder why everyone jumped to believe this when the op is the only one saying it?  This would've been HUGE in the news and all over social media.  It would have big ramifications for healthcare alone for many states.  

these forced increases, have been in the works and are just going into effect. The gov't will take credit for the increases but not for what it will do to smaller businesses and the economy, by way of increase prices (which are already climbing) in the long run. It isn't all sunshine and roses.

Respected Contributor

Of course Walmart can afford to pay their employees a living wage. They just choose not to. Cutting hours and benefits is nothing new with Walmart. They have done it many times in the past.  They prefer to have the states pay for their employees instead of the company providing benefits.  Walmart made over 600 Billion world wide in 2023.  Their profits were over $150 Billion.  Retailers like Walmart can definitely pay their employees more and keep hours and benefits. They just don't want to.

Honored Contributor
Walmart year-over-year profits have increased every year for the past decade or more, and especially since 2020.

Not sure there is a reason to feel sorry for them.
Trusted Contributor
No this has been happening for quite a few years here on Long Island where I live. It’s easy to find part time jobs but little to no jobs for full timers, probably don’t want to pay for benefits etc. These jobs are going to young people who probably don’t have any intention of staying with job long term. I looked on Target for a full time job and I thought it was very questionable or even legal when they asked if one was younger than 40. Also have noticed very few people over 40 working in my local Targets. Also you had to submit a short video of why you would be an asset to the company. Not everyone comes across on video very well. Oh well.
Respected Contributor

@kimbobimbo , that's exactly why I choose not to shop at Walmart and have not since 2014, NOT to say their loss of my shopping dollars with them made any difference. I worked at a social services agency when they cut hours back during Obamacare first days. The hours were cut so they wouldn't have to offer health insurance to part-time employees and the taxpayers were made to foot the bill. It's just a personal preference of mine; I'm sure there are many other HUGE corporations who did/do the same.

Respected Contributor

I don't know why people always complain about Walmart. This is the way most retail works. Most stores are staffed with mostly part time workers, especially at night and on the weekends. It's why these are basially starter jobs for people since there isn't a lot of opportunity to move up. Walmart and big stores like it actually probably offer more growth opporunites than most stores but that's still limited. 

Respected Contributor

Apparently, WM is not saving money on getting free cashiers with self checkout.  Or, maybe it's just greed.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Apparently, WM is not saving money on getting free cashiers with self checkout.  Or, maybe it's just greed.

Definetly the latter  @Sunshine Kate 

Esteemed Contributor

Not just retail, businesses run off a benchmark for labor costs.  It is usually some percentage of sales at the location.  This is the most expensive and most controllable cost. How the location allocate those labor costs are usually left up to local management.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@kimbobimbo wrote:

I'm pretty sure Walmart can afford to pay a living wage to more full time employees. Perhaps the CEO and other execs should have their income significantly cut.

@kimbobimbo 

Oh yes they can. You can find this info on Yahoo Finance. Enter company name, click on Profile. This is only for the Wal-Mart Key Execs. Salary per year.

President, CEO & Director4.7M
Executive VP & CFO7.6M
Global CTO, Chief Development Officer & Executive VP2.98M
Executive Vice President3.81M
Executive VP, CEO & President of Walmart US3.18M
Executive VP, President & CEO of Walmart International,3.19M

If all of these positions were eliminated (which apparently the company believes are necessary) and split that money amount the companies 2.3 million employees it would give them each a life changing amount of $11 a year.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.