Honored Contributor

I bought some Secret Clinical deodorant, and the directions say to use it at night.  I take my shower in the morning, so I have to use it then.  I'm not finding that it works very well though.  I noticed that the active ingredient is exactly the same as what is in my Mitchum Advanced Control, and it doesn't say to use at night.

I wish I could find a deodorant that really controls well.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Re: Using Deodorant At Night?

Try Mitchem for Women.. Works for me many years... Or Certain-Dry (think thats how it's spelled)...

Esteemed Contributor

I remember (in the last century) Mitchum being advertised as lasting more than one day.  I'm not sure how that worked, though.

I don't wear the stuff, myself.  I have not in so many years I can't remember when I stopped.  People don't seem to mind being around me.  I decided that aluminum chlorohydrate was something I no longer wanted to absorb (that may be an unfounded concern). Maybe formulae have changed, but I find I don't miss it.

When it's hot, I sweat, and not just in the pits.

What I really don't miss is how, no matter what avoidance technique I employed, I was always getting the stuff on my clothes, especially when I put a shirt on over head.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hondagirl wrote:

Try Mitchem for Women.. Works for me many years... Or Certain-Dry (think thats how it's spelled)...

@hondagirl   I've used Mitchum for years, too.  I just tried Mitchum Clinical, but it doesn't keep me dry.  That's why I tried Secret Clinical, but it has the same active ingredient.  I looked up Certain Dri and may try it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I've never heard of it.  Certain Dri says to use it at night, too.  It also says you can use it again in the morning.

-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I wear deodorant it's at night. I can't remember the last time I wore deodorant! I shower in the morning and apply philosophy amazing grace or pure grace all over and I'm good. I don't need deodorant!  Strange.

Esteemed Contributor

I checked it @NickNack .

It's an antiperspirant. Is that what you want?

Deodorants work differently and are available.

Here's their reply, when asked about using it in the morning:

It will continue to protect you throughout the next day even if you bathe or shower the next morning. If you apply in the morning, you will still get strong wetness protection; however, for optimal performance, apply at night. A light layer of Secret Clinical Strength is recommended

Honored Contributor

I’ve done a slow progression from:

-Antiperspirant 

-Regular deodorant

-Homemade deodorant of Coconut/Baking Soda/Cornstarch 

-Dab of baking soda after shower

Don’t know if it’s a mix of my PB diet, menopause or no stress (!),

but I really don’t have a need for any sort of deodorant/antiperspirant 

anymore.  

Even when I full-on antiperspirant, I never considered

using it at night....all those chemicals?  Ooof. No way. 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I checked it @NickNack .

It's an antiperspirant. Is that what you want?

Deodorants work differently and are available.

Here's their reply, when asked about using it in the morning:

It will continue to protect you throughout the next day even if you bathe or shower the next morning. If you apply in the morning, you will still get strong wetness protection; however, for optimal performance, apply at night. A light layer of Secret Clinical Strength is recommended

@x Hedge   An antiperspirant is what I want.  I have a problem with wetness but not odor.  I've just always called it deodorant, but I know you're right.  Thanks for looking up the reason.  I had read that it worked better at night but not that it continued into the next day.  I've just never heard to use it at night.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I’ve done a slow progression from:

-Antiperspirant 

-Regular deodorant

-Homemade deodorant of Coconut/Baking Soda/Cornstarch 

-Dab of baking soda after shower

Don’t know if it’s a mix of my PB diet, menopause or no stress (!),

but I really don’t have a need for any sort of deodorant/antiperspirant 

anymore.  

Even when I full-on antiperspirant, I never considered

using it at night....all those chemicals?  Ooof. No way. 

I've had the reverse progression, @sidsmom .

When peri menopause kicked in about 20 years ago I started to have incredible outpouring, but restricted to head, face, and trunk, and only in hot weather.

Not the places you'd normally apply an antiperspirant.

And this past winter I finally figured out that while that abnormal wetness stops in cooler weather, it kicks in on the soles of my feet for the winter!

Makes my feet perpetually ice cold even when I'm indoors, wearing dry, thick fuzzy socks and slippers.  So yes, a few times I applied antiperspirant to the soles of my feet, and will again.

Honored Contributor

I love Secret deodorant which I use daily. It keeps me dry and comfortable.

I have a friend who told me she no longer needs deodorant. The issue is that she does and has become immune to her own scent. Often times as we age, we simply do not have the same sense of smell. That's why I would never give up wearing deodorant. Same when people put on too much perfume and don't smell it themselves.