Respected Contributor

Take Out is just not the same

So for the first few weeks of this, I have been cooking.

Last week we started getting curb side pick up.

The food is just not the same(or even close) as setting in the restaurant.

I think it is the styrofoam boxes. Or maybe it is having to re-heat the food?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Take Out is just not the same

I know that I prefer to sitting in a restaurant, but, at least I'm supporting local restaurants when I do take out/delivery.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

So for the first few weeks of this, I have been cooking.

Last week we started getting curb side pick up.

The food is just not the same(or even close) as setting in the restaurant.

I think it is the styrofoam boxes. Or maybe it is having to re-heat the food?

This post made me want take out tonight. I'm tired of the food we've been eating. I need a change. 

Trusted Contributor

my husband works from home and also does the cooking, but we do take out once a week and it's been very good so far. some restaurants even give extra helpings and delivery is prompt. the food is as good as when we dine in. 

Respected Contributor

We've been getting take-out once a week from our favorite Gyro Grill - maybe because it's so close to home, don't see a difference in quality, temp., etc.

Denise
Respected Contributor

I too am getting so sick of cooking and don't like to cook anyway. I support my local restaurants by ordering takeout. We have a very good BBQ restaurant and Mexican  Ithat I order from. So much better than my cooking!

Respected Contributor

I did take out, delivery, and dine in before the lockdown and have rarely noticed a difference in the food quality from one to another. There are some restaurants, like burger places, that aren't good for delivery or take out because some things don't work as well. Fries get soggy and the cheese on a burger doesn't have the same consistency after a drive. Breaded items with sauce, like a chicken or eggplant parm, are better in the store, but fried chicken holds up for delivery or take-out.

I get Thai, Tex Mex, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, fried chicken, and more delivered and have noticed no difference in food quality. I often order enough for two meals and store the rest for the next day.

Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I too am getting so sick of cooking and don't like to cook anyway. I support my local restaurants by ordering takeout. We have a very good BBQ restaurant and Mexican  Ithat I order from. So much better than my cooking!

OMG! I could have written your post.  I also hate to cook.  50 years of it is a long time.  We do a drive thru restaurant 2-3 x a week and we both love it.  Culver's, DQ, BK & McDonald's are all good & the food is always hot.  We live about a mile away from them.  Breakfast, lunch or dinner.  We don't care.

Honored Contributor

@granddi 

I'll take you word for it. It's been a couple years since I have ate(eaten) out, and decades since I have eaten anything "to go". I can't complain about the food I eat, mainly because I choose it, and cook it, but very rarely need it cooked.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I hear ya, and I've always found this old saying so true (for me at least) : everything tastes better when someone else makes it!