Respected Contributor

Sleep Paralysis ?

[ Edited ]

Our (DH & I) usual nightly ritual is for him to turn off the TV around 1:30am and head off to bed.  I remain sacked out on the couch and fall asleep.  Sometimes I will wake up around 5am and migrate into the bedroom.  

Tonight was different.  I was all snuggled up on the couch.  At around 2:00am I hear this horrendous noise, like loud thunder directly around our house.  I try to call out to DH but can't. Heart pounding I leap off the couch, trying to figure out what I heard.  I turned on exterior lights, but of course can't see anything.  I wander around the house checking but find nothing abnormal.  Check on DH, he is sleeping.

I have no idea what I heard and am even questioning if I heard anything or just may be experienced an episode of sleep paralysis. 

Thanks for lending me an ear as I won't be falling asleep until daylight.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Our (DH & I) usual nightly ritual is for him to turn off the TV around 1:30am and head off to bed.  I remain sacked out on the couch and fall asleep.  Sometimes I will wake up around 5am and migrate into the bedroom.  

Tonight was different.  I was all snuggled up on the couch.  At around 2:00am I hear this horrendous noise, like loud thunder directly around our house.  I try to call out to DH but can't. Heart pounding I leap off the couch, trying to figure out what I heard.  I turned on exterior lights, but of course can't see anything.  I wander around the house checking but find nothing abnormal.  Check on DH, he is sleeping.

I have no idea what I heard and am even questioning if I heard anything or just may be experienced an episode of sleep paralysis. 

Thanks for lending me an ear as I won't be falling asleep until daylight.

@Allegheny   I don't think you heard anything.  I do think you had night paralysis and probably from being uncomfortable or sleeping in a different position.  I have that happen when I fall asleep in the recliner.  I will think I heard something which will awaken me.  I have just about gotten accustomed to thinking someone is knocking on the window which will awaken me, frightened.  It has happened so frequently that I know it is night paralysis, so I am not sure what I would do if that really happened.  Probably shrug it off thinking it was nothing.  But we have viewed the cameras after it happened, and nada.  Nothing there.  Just night paralysis.  I cannot move when I hear it but when I am wide awake, jumping up, looking for things, only to find it is a repeat of what has happened many times before.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday    Thank you so much!! I was thinking may-be a tree came down as recently many of our old growth trees have been toppling over. Then I thought may be it was a support post for our porch giving way.  But when I realized I couldn't yell out I started questioning myself.  I've only had one episode of sleep paralysis previously.  It really gave me quite a scare.  I don't know how you are able to deal with having them so frequently.  I am so glad you posted as now I can go bed and try and fall asleep.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, can you check with neighbours to see if anyone else heard it?  Your DH did not hear it?  I hear every noise around me.  My DH does not.  We live on a lake and, in winter it makes sounds which I have become accustomed to but sound like loans.  It is the water under the ice.

I would talk to my doctor about it as well if it is night paralysis as described above.  

I hope you find an answer.  An unsettling experience to say the least.  LM

Respected Contributor

I had sleep paralysis for several years on and off. It would seem like I was awake, but I could not move or speak at all. I don't know what caused it, but eventually it passed.

Honored Contributor

I've had dreams that I thought were real but weren't.  I heard noise and talk. I finally figured out it's because I suddenly wake up - or the dream startles me and I wake up - during REM sleep 

Honored Contributor

It wasn't sleep paralysis, that presents differently. It sounds to me like you had one of those realistic or vivid dreams they talk about.   

Esteemed Contributor

It might have been just been a dream or being shocked awake.  I have done this and have so scared that I heard someone in the house.  Just frozen in terror.  Like really, all the dogs were still snoring.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny 

Google:  Exploding Head Syndrome

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!  Still at a loss as to what occurred.  DH said he was still awake in bed and didn't hear anything.  I've just chalked it up to some sort of sleep disturbance. Have ruled out sleep paralysis as only similarity was being unable to vocalize.