Respected Contributor

The Day I Was Forgiven (Long)

Louisville several years ago, actually Jeffersontown.  I had been painting and broke to walk my dog.  Halfway around the block a little boy asked if he could pet my Mandy, sure!

However I was carring a new bear mace because of 2 stray agressive dogs that hadn't been caught yet.  

My hand slipped and you guessed it, the liffle guy got sprayed.

I went to his house and told his parents when some woman screamed at me and got out and took the boy!  The parents called 911!  They did NOT know her!  She took the boy to her house and also called police.  Bottom line the police brought him back home and after a hospital visit he was just fine and went to school.

I went home and called the police thinking I would be arrested for accidently hurting a child!  They told me the parents had forgiven me, I was not in trouble, and that they all knew it was an accident.  Never did hear why that woman took him or what was done about that...

DH & I took a gift certificate over that evening and apoligized again.

We don't have children but I was amazed and their forgiveness.  If it had been my child I don't know if I could have been that understanding.  Could you?

The mace was donated and I have never touched one again.

Super Contributor

Re: The Day I Was Forgiven (Long)

@Jackhound Mom so glad for you it had a good ending; could have been a nightmare for you.  The parents were so understanding.  Why did the parents let their small child outside unattended? The screaming woman took child maybe to flush his eyes and protect him from what she thought was an attack/kidnapping from you.  Things are not always what they seem to be.  You only wanted to protect yourself and dog, child only wanted to pet dog, woman wanted to protect child.  I hope parents learned from this experience.  You did nothing wrong! Nice of you and DH to take gift certificate to family.

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Louisville several years ago, actually Jeffersontown.  I had been painting and broke to walk my dog.  Halfway around the block a little boy asked if he could pet my Mandy, sure!

However I was carring a new bear mace because of 2 stray agressive dogs that hadn't been caught yet.  

My hand slipped and you guessed it, the liffle guy got sprayed.

I went to his house and told his parents when some woman screamed at me and got out and took the boy!  The parents called 911!  They did NOT know her!  She took the boy to her house and also called police.  Bottom line the police brought him back home and after a hospital visit he was just fine and went to school.

I went home and called the police thinking I would be arrested for accidently hurting a child!  They told me the parents had forgiven me, I was not in trouble, and that they all knew it was an accident.  Never did hear why that woman took him or what was done about that...

DH & I took a gift certificate over that evening and apoligized again.

We don't have children but I was amazed and their forgiveness.  If it had been my child I don't know if I could have been that understanding.  Could you?

The mace was donated and I have never touched one again.

I am just glad it ended so well... you went through a lot.... try to forgive yourself... and move on... it will probably take time... but if they can forgive you you can forgive yourself too. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.

The child would have explained the circumstance to his parents and the police.

He wanted to pet your animal and thus the accident happened. You acted responsibly and took him home. The events with the other woman does sound strange and that must have been terrifying for the parents and calling 911 was absolutely needed. At that  point no one knew if the woman would be calling the police too, or what her intentions were. You called the police afterwards, again being accountable for the occurrence and then giving a gift.

It was an accident. No one was injured or harmed. No intent regarding anything.

You could only learn about the other woman by asking the parents or police but this is something that occurred long ago.

Somehow I have the feeling it has be something that has remained within you and somehow you still feel guilty and haunted with it and feel maybe you are fully at blame. The can accidentally slipped. You should not blame yourself for the can slipping as that was something you could not have predicted. It was an accident.

I have children and would have forgiven you. It was an accident and you brought my child home and I would have been thankful for your honesty and caring for my son. My son wanted to pet your dog, and you had the can to protect yourself, not harm anyone.

It is time for you to heal. Forgive yourself as others have forgiven you.

Esteemed Contributor

We all make mistakes, I know you wouldn't have done that on purpose. I'm so glad the mother of the boy handled it well. 

I had bear spray in my purse in the bottom of my purse and I was always afraid I was going to accidentally spray it while digging in there for something else. 

Esteemed Contributor

<3

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom   Both of you were respectful, kind, and loving.  Isn't it wonderful when challenging situations work out this way.  Cherish this event as a life-affirming lesson.

Honored Contributor

Why wouldn't they forgive you?  There child wasn't hurt, it was an accident, you apologized, they want to teach their child about forgivenss.  Under the circumstances, pretty much all parents would have fiorgiven you and moved on.  How many years have you had this bouncing around in your head?  It was nothing, let it go and move on.  It was the woman who grabbed the child who was the problem.  As a parent I would have been more concerned about her odd behavior.

Honored Contributor

I would forgive.  However it might have turned out differently if he suffered injuries from it.  Some people would have taken advantage and tried to sue.  Nowadays people do that excessively.  Alls well that ends well.

Esteemed Contributor

Nice ending several years ago. In today’s climate I don’t think it would be the same. 

Keepin' it real.