Honored Contributor

I have worked for a company that had in house estate sales, every item in the house is tagged with price.  Sale lasts one two or three days depending on how much stuff there is.  Remnants are given to local charity, hopefully one that will pick up. 

Second I worked for an on premises auctioneer.  Items are brought outside and sold one by one or in groups.  Auctioneer supplies chairs and brings in a lunch wagon to serve meals.  There is also the option of moving all the stuff to a hall and selling it there.

Third, I worked for this same auctioneer when they started selling online.  Keeps crowds of people out of the house except for pickup days.  All items are identified and photographed with high resolution cameras.   Personally I have picked this third option with the very same auctioneer.  

My job was identifying antique glassware and other antiques.  Also jewelry, and where do you think I got most of that education?  QVC of course.  Questions are taken to a local gemologist.

Honored Contributor

One thing I want to emphasize in a separate post:  Do not throw out anything until the professional has seen your stuff.  I remember a sale from just a few years ago, this woman had glass and jewelry beyond what I have ever seen.  The three sons proudly told my boss that they had donated over 1000 pieces of clothing to local charities.  By the woman's age there had been many vintage items in mint condition.  I never did know if she told them they had discarded a small fortune in vintage clothing.  

Super Contributor

The sad thing is having boys, they don't want anything.  Hubby and I just talked about this the other day and we know when it comes the time, a dumpster will arrive and everything will go into the trash.

Daughter in law wants my tanzanite tennis bracelet I bought in the islands and that's it.  My Crown of Light diamond set will go to first grandson and another to my second.  I told my oldest grandson, who is only nine, lol... he can have all my jewelry.  One day he came over and said, grammie.. I don't want you to die but can you show me all your jewelry that i'll be getting?  Omg, had to laugh.  We sat for hours as we went through it all.

Super Contributor

Thank you everyone for all your advice and kind thoughts, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post đź’•