Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

Does anyone who has gone through the process of settling their parents estate have any advise on the process? I'm an only child and finding it overwhelming. My husband and I have  boxed up lots of things for donation. What's left I'm trying to get through to decide what I want to keep and what I want to let go. It's difficult with lots of sentimental attachment to a lot of their things.. I just don't have the room to keep much. I don't know much about estate sales but I guess that's coming up next for me. Any advise or tips on how to proceed with that? I know there are different types of estate sales. Any positive or negative experiences to pass along that might offer quidance?

@Summer Shine - When my mom died, I lived two states away. I was the only surviving child, and my father's and my late brother's things were in the attic and the basement. DS was one-year old.

What a nightmare! Her lawyer lived down the street, and he was in practice by himself. Sitting in his basement office I saw papers everywhere, and I was remembering who lived there when I was in high school. OK. Mom trusted him, so I did. He filed the paperwork and opened the estate. I thought everything was going fine when I got a call from his wife. He had suffered a stroke in his 40's. It turns out he had never filed the paperwork. I went down to the courthouse with DS in the stroller. A kind lady took pity on me and helped me do all of the paperwork on my own. Since there was no one else, there was no one challenging me. We finished everything without a lawyer.

My parents' house was by the bay,  and we knew it wouldn't be hard to sell. We thought about keeping it, because we always wanted a boat. But this was a big home, and our children would grow up someplace else. That's where their friends would be, and the Saturday activities they would participate in. 

We took about 3 years, going down on Saturdays, to clean the house out. DD usually stayed with one of her friends here. DH spent most of the time watching DS, so I could work. 

In the end we let one of Mom's neighbors, who was the football coach at my high school (after I left), talk us into an auction. I wanted him to find three things. He couldn't.Pictures of my parents when they were dating and other pictures were in a dresser in the basement. That was flooded during a bad storm when I was in college. He said he couldn't save any of them. All of the albums I had poured over when I was young - gone.

I couldn't keep everything I wanted to. I told my widowed uncle, his three single sons, and my late brother's best friend to come and take what they wanted. DH went down on auction day - I just couldn't.

The house was also auctioned. A family really wanted it, but a contractor outbid them. The auctioneer later told DH he wished he could have done something else so they could get it. The contractor listed it after he worked on it. My best friend went through it. She said he covered the hardwood floors with wall-to-wall carpeting. He pulled out all of the landscaping, including my mom's beautiful rose garden.

We made the right decision for us at the time. I do regret selling the house the way we did and not listing it, but we would have had to redo the kitchen and the driveway, and that would have cost a lot of money. 

Sorry I wrote a book! I wanted you to know my experience, since you are also kind of alone. Good luck @Summer Shine - the memories might grab you, but it's not the same without your loved ones there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@juanitalinda wrote:

My parents' came up with the perfect way for me to avoid all those decisions.  

They gave the house and all personal and family items to my sister. 

Eeasy peazy. 

That must have been hurtful. Nothing can explain what is in a person's decisions.

Honored Contributor

My parents, thankfully, weren't pack rats. Their condo consisted of the bare minimum. We had an estate sale to get rid of their furniture and such. It was a huge success. My brother and I split the money. My brother was the executor of their living will. Everything was split right down the middle. Good luck.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My brother was executor and I helped him after Dad passed 3 months ago. Dad had redone his will the year before and, luckily, it was thorough.

We ran into 2 snags.

1. Dad didn't put the house in a trust so it has to go through probate. We worked with an attorney to set up the probate account. We sold the house and the proceeds are sitting in probate for a few months.

2. One of our brothers died last year so we had to identify the contingent beneficiary on everthing. What we thought was obvious wasn't so obvious with some of his life insurance and investments. But it all worked out.

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine    Going thru things, cleaning, etc is my hobby!  Of course going thru parents things is rough, I did that when my mom died...I did have sibings to help.  

We each chose something we really wanted to keep for ourselves and then gathered other like items together and drew numbers as to who got to pick from that pile first..there were 5 of us so that was the most fair way to divide things.  I realize you do not have to do that.  Our process went well, no arguments which is common in our family.  We had other issues but going thru her things went smoothly.

In most areas there are companies that handle estate sales...they will price and hold a sale for you.  I am sure it is expensive but unless you want to hold the sale yourself it is a good option.

I would get the house decluttered of trash, paperwork and anything you do not want to donate..clean the house and then have a company  or two come in and give you a quote.  

I think the house needs to be decluttered and clean as much as possible before I had them in....that way they can clearly see how much and what you have to sell.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I'm currently in the process of settling my late Aunt's estate, including selling her house. It sounds like you're going to be selling the house, too. We're working with a husband-wife realtor team who have been wonderful. Their "parent" real estate company bills itself as a concierge company and we've been able to use many of this couple's contacts to prep the house for sale. While we didn't have an estate sale, they had experience with several companies that we could have used if we'd chosen to go that route. Their commission is the same as that of other realtors. So a good realtor may be a valuable resource for you.

We gave away or donated almost everything of value in my Aunt's house, however, my SIL was the executor for my MIL's estate after she died and she used an estate sale company to sell the furnishings in her snow-bird house in Florida (my SIL lives in New Jersey). I don't think the estate made much money on the estate sale, but having an impartial party take charge of the sale was worth it. Prior to the estate sale, family members identified anything they wanted and those items were set aside. The estate sale staff know what items will sell for in the area, set the prices accordingly and manage everything during the sale. They arranged for donating anything that didn't sell to charities and transporting those items to them. One problem we encountered in disposing of my Aunt's possessions was finding a charitable organization that would COME INTO THE HOUSE to get donated furniture. Most would only pick it up from the curb and we're too old to get it to the curb. This wasn't an issue with the estate sale company.

Using an estate sale company helped reduce a lot of the emotional stress of parting with my MIL's possessions. Our family members had already taken items that they wanted (or had space for in their homes). Bear in mind that many people who shop estate sales do so to get bargains, much like those who shop yard sales. We were spared the irritation of dealing with someone offering what we would have considered a pittance for items that held fond memories for us. We also didn't have to worry about the logistics of holding a sale such as advertising it, setting prices, bartering with people, making sure we had enough cash on hand for the sale, etc. My SIL just turned it over to the estate sale company and let them deal with all of that. As I said before, I don't think we made a lot of money on the estate sale, but it took so much stress off my SIL's shoulders that it was worth it. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

The Estate Sale company we used said just take what you want and leave the rest.  We did.  And it was one of the best things we ever did.

So much stuff we would have struggled with hauling away--they SOLD!  Bags of worn bath cloths and towels, half-used stuff, stuff I'd have junked.  THEN they cleaned the house after the sale.  Things that didn't sell, they called someone to haul away.

We made a nice sum and I would have paid them to do all they did.  It was truly a miracle for us. 

Esteemed Contributor

I cleaned out my parents house last spring, all by myself. My other sisters

did not participate or even offer help. That's the way they always have

been. 

It was a huge job and I filled my car up with as much stuff each visit that

I could fit in it. A lot went into the trash, but stuck with lots of clothing, lamps,

kitchen items. I was also maintaining the yard with weekly grass cutting.

I sold only one reclining chair and had no luck with the couches. I wasn't

asking very much but still no luck. Spent so much time cleaning but each

time I went there, progress was made. It was very hard, a few times I 

had to take a break and I just cried there all by myself.

So many memories and before my husband and I could even list the

house, a neighbor visited and was interested in possibly buying. We

weren't ready at that time but kept the family in mind a few months later

when I had it cleaned out the best I could. 

Never had to list it because luckily the neighbor wanted it and by early

fall the house was theirs.

Good luck with everything, I lost many night sleep dealing with this.

My surviving parent is now residing in a nursing home.

Respected Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

Does anyone who has gone through the process of settling their parents estate have any advise on the process? I'm an only child and finding it overwhelming. My husband and I have  boxed up lots of things for donation. What's left I'm trying to get through to decide what I want to keep and what I want to let go. It's difficult with lots of sentimental attachment to a lot of their things.. I just don't have the room to keep much. I don't know much about estate sales but I guess that's coming up next for me. Any advise or tips on how to proceed with that? I know there are different types of estate sales. Any positive or negative experiences to pass along that might offer quidance?

I just went through this in the last month. I hired an estate buyout company who came in after we all removed what we wanted and they cleaned out the whole house in 6 hours. Some items were brought to their store to be sold, some donated and some thrown out, this was a larger home with a lot of stuff in it. 3 days after the clean out was completed the real estate agent listed it. For us this was a god send as it was just myself, my brother and our spouses. There would have been no way we could have handled it all on our own.  

Honored Contributor

We spent 3 years hauling stuff to the trash and back to our house to be sorted out for an aunt who lived 3 hours away. Then again for my mom.   We would go work on weekends when we could get away.  We even traded a car for an SUV partly because of that.

The people at "Shred day" at the bank thought we were nuts we hauled so many documents (like taxes from 1940) down there. Boxes and boxes and seemed to go on for years.  They do shred day quarterly I think.

Aunts was the second house we had to do and I learned a lot.