Honored Contributor

Re: Sensitive People

[ Edited ]

Very interesting to read everyone's definition of "sensitive". Many, many different perspectives. 

Mine is being sensitive to the plight of all animals,mine or someone else's or strays or ones in the wild.

Sensitive to innocent children who are not old enough or able enough to help themselves(well you get what I am saying).

i am glad I was brought up as a caring person.

My definition of sensitive. 

Honored Contributor

In my experience "sensitive" people aren't at all sensitive about the feelings of others - they are only "sensitive" about their own feelings.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

Have you ever been told that you are way "too sensitive", I certainly have, and people make it sound as if it is a bad trait!

I found this quote, and it is so true:

Image may contain: flower and text

@Hooty, I think, generally speaking, when people denigrate someone who is sensitive it is because they haven't a clue what it actually means to be sensitive. Just remember to take it from where it comes and chock it up to their loss.....

Sensitive people are the best and I don't mean "touchy" people. I mean the word sensitive in the best sense of the word. People who are careful about the feelings of others and very thoughtful.

Thanks for the topic.Heart

I agree that many times when someone denigrates the "sensitive", they are zeroing in on one definition of several that are correct and valid, and they are locked onto that definition as the one and only. It's usually the definition where a person takes everything personally - as if that's the only definition there is. It's also an easy excuse for a person who is on the gruff, borderline rude, dismissive side to give. It's not them, it's the person who thinks they're rude that has the issue.

Uh....not always ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

In all fairness here to the people who responded to this topic..... I think most of us responded to what we read with good intentions. People were asked if they had ever been told they are "way too sensitive."  The post even went farther to say that people had said that to her and she did not think that was a bad trait. There is a big difference between "sensitive" and "way too sensitive".     

I understand fairly well the introverted extra sensitive people as I have a child like this.  I just never wanted to label him with one word....long story.... so I won't go into it.  Besides, as interesting as I think this subject is, I don't think that kind of sensitivity was what op was referring to.  We can only go by what we read and I think it is unfair to treat people as though they have attacked op , when the question was, "Have you ever been told you are way too sensitive?"  I mean..... what does that conjure up in a mind? I have no reason whatsoever to think ill of op and I don't...but I do think she overreacted to either feeling misunderstood or it is just a sore subject for her.  Some of the posters who really read and reread this post before answering should not feel bad about answering this post as it was stated.  

Honored Contributor

I was sensitive when I was younger but not so much now.  I think your poem is lovely.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

No, I have never been told that I was too sensitive and I wouldn't have thought it a compliment if they had.

Honored Contributor

I don't know.  I never had the option of being "sensitive."  I've been the one to have to deal with things like funerals that other"sensitive" ones won't deal with and things like that.

My family died off young and often it was me that had to clean out the houses, get them buried, and deal with the will and accumulated stuff, go to the nursing homes, etc.  All of that is terrible to deal with, but as the appointed one, I didn't have a choice.

Funny but I was thinking yesterday about how much of this I've been fingered with in my life.  A lot of other people don't have to do these things because they are too fragile or sensitive or have others in the family to help or do it.  Somehow I never had that option. . . I'm not sure what I did wrong!  LOL (ruefully). 

Honored Contributor

My Dad was very kind, gentle and sensitive. He was a talented artist. Fortunately he married my Mom who was strong, intelligent,& very street smart. They both were hard working, but without my Mom to take charge of things I think my Dad would have been overcome by the world.When I hear "sensitive" I think of my Dad who was indecisive, sometimes impulsive, more self focused than my Mom who was definitely the leader of our family, and had her heart open to everyone on earth. I certainly never went to my Dad for advice on anything - he would have said "Ask your Mom".

Honored Contributor

I'm an extrovert and don't think anyone has called me 'over sensitive'.

Esteemed Contributor

chickenbutt...My daughter is somewhat like your husband, it drives me crazy.  I will ask a question or make a statement and she immediately goes on the defense taking my words as an attack.  I need to find out how to fix this because communicating with someone like that is no fun.

@chickenbutt wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I wouldn't say I'm sensitive, I know when someone is rude or uncaring, but I do not take every little thing to heart. My husband on the other hand is very sensitive, so I have to choose my words and actions carefully and I try to. That being said, it's tedious being around someone like that 24/7.

I can relate.  My husband is somewhat sensitive in that you can say something to him, or ask a question, and he processes it as an attack.

I've worked hard to get him to understand that when I ask a question I'm just asking a question, not attacking him.   He's doing better with it.  But it can be exhausting dealing with people who translate what you say into something else all the time.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam