Honored Contributor

Have you ever been told that you are way "too sensitive", I certainly have, and people make it sound as if it is a bad trait!

I found this quote, and it is so true:

Image may contain: flower and text

Respected Contributor

@Hooty  I often cry when watching the news!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Sensitive People

[ Edited ]

I think there are two kinds of sensitivity -

A person can be sensitive to the needs of others (a good thing).

or

A person can be too sensitive if they take offense to every little thing (not such a good thing). 

Honored Contributor

Have been told that practically since birth. I'm an introvert, an INFJ and a Cancer. The Sensitive "feel" emotionally in a way that others don't. 

It bothered me as a child & teen to be always put down and ridiculed for traits I grew, as an adult, to enjoy in myself and others. I also think that in some ways, as we age we adjust our thinking and feeling based on life experience. I'm nowhere near as sensitive as I was when young, in one sense, but in other meanings of sensitive (art, music, nature, etc.) I'm just as much as ever, thankfully.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Yes I have, and I have zero respect for the people who say it. Those people just say it to excuse their own insensitivity and bad behavior.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I am a very sensitive person when it comes to others feelings, I cry for them sometimes more than they cry for themselves but it is because I have known how cruel some people can be and I know how they feel, my husband says I have such a tender heart when it comes to others & animals, I have built a thicker skin when it comes to myself, or I should say I avoid other people to prevent me from being hurt!

Honored Contributor

There are many definitions and ways of being sensitive, or "too" sensitive.

The statement "you're too sensitive" is usually said to people who tend to take "everything" personally in general. An example would be in the workplace. If reprimanded or quality of work remarked upon by a higher-up, there are people who will nod, try to improve, and then carry on and forget about it. And there are those who will feel attacked or demeaned, as if "who they are" is being devalued. They will feel personally hurt, and may believe their boss "doesn't like" them.

There really IS being "too sensitive" in life in the above regard. Life/age takes care of a lot of it, just naturally. Awareness helps a little, but it's a difficult thing to work on and try to change.

Are people just sometimes flat out obnoxious and use the "you're too sensitive" thing? Yep. But are people sometimes too sensitive? Yep.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Sensitive People

[ Edited ]

@Shogirl, & @Moonchilde why of course others can say your too sensitive when they upset you with their mean/cruel remarks, but then again people always make excuses for their mistakes when blaming others!

Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

Have been told that practically since birth. I'm an introvert, an INFJ and a Cancer. The Sensitive "feel" emotionally in a way that others don't. 

It bothered me as a child & teen to be always put down and ridiculed for traits I grew, as an adult, to enjoy in myself and others. I also think that in some ways, as we age we adjust our thinking and feeling based on life experience. I'm nowhere near as sensitive as I was when young, in one sense, but in other meanings of sensitive (art, music, nature, etc.) I'm just as much as ever, thankfully.

Hey Moonchilde!  No matter I like you so much.  I'm a Scorpio and we get on very well with Cancers.  Smiley Happy

I am probably not an overly sensitive person, although I am basically an introvert.  I just don't think anything boils down to a simple statement like in the OP.   Life is just not that simple.  That's not an opinion.  That's a fact.

I had to get tough at a very young age, so I don't think I've ever been terribly sensitive.  But, even though I might have a rather tough facade, I have a kind heart when kindness is deserved.

After I grew up and was able to get out of 'survival mode' I may have been a bit sensitive for a while, but I toughened back up only to the point of self-preservation.  The thing is, ya can't hurt me unless I care about you.  (using 'you' in the generic sense, not pointing that at anybody here).  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

If you are an introvert, as I am, you probably were very sensitive while you were very young!  So many people do not understand someone who is quiet and may not be a joiner!  As I grew older I figured it out and now I am not so sensitive!!Woman Happy