Esteemed Contributor

Yes,  I guess I'm sensitive.I care a lot. I'm a loyal person who would do anything for my friends & family.My word is my bond.I'm also very honest & considerate.So when someone deceives me it really stings.I don't like being taken advantage of.Or made a fool of.

When someone I've been good to hurts my feelings more than once I speak up.I'm slowly learning to protect myself.If they tell me I'm taking it to personally then so be it.If they hurt me & act like I should deal with it .I do,by not letting them ever get that close to me again.

A few years ago a former close friend who I hadn't seen in years rang my doorbell.I was shocked to see her there.To make a long story short she apologized to me for treating  me badly after all I had done for her.She said that she missed me.I told her that I accepted her apology but that I've moved on.I wished her well.

My circle of friends has gotten smaller over the years.But I don't care.Life is to short.I believe in the quality of friendships rather than the the quantity of them.I'm a much happier person. The friends I have now are golden!

Honored Contributor

lovestoteach wrote:
@chickenbutt
I can relate to your observation about your husband!
Have you found it has gotten worse as he ages or retires?

Hey Loves!   Well, yeah - I think it was getting worse for a while there.

Then I had a couple of conversations with him about it.  He knows that I am somebody who says what she means and means what she says.  I'm not ever saying one thing and meaning another.

I explained that if I ask a question it's not to challenge his knowledge or somehow attack him in any way.  I am simply asking that question so that I can know the answer.  I do that.  I'm a question asker.  If a guy is working on something at our house (cable tv, whatever), I ask questions so that I can learn to take care of my things or know what to do to fix something or to preclude something from happening.

We had occasion to work together on a situation at the house last year and I think there was some good progress.  He would say to do 'this' and I would ask a question  about it.  Sometimes he would start to react by going on the defense and I made sure he knew I was only asking so that I would understand what we were doing.  That helped.  Since then I try to be sensitive to how his mind works and make sure that, in the course of asking, he can know that I'm asking so that I will know what is going on, not challenging him.

(sorry so long)

Honored Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

For some people this is true.  Others are just sensitive because they are scaredy cats.

The two concepts have nothing at all to do with each other.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt, my mother was less consciously abusive (though she could be) than she was just disinterested and clueless, and rather self-involved. I used to tell her (non-judgmentally) that she shouldn't have had kids. She would never ever have said she didn't want me or my sister, because in the 40s and 50s that's what you did...have kids. She wouldn't even have recognized she would be happier without. But she never identified as a mother, only as a wife and an attractive, sought-after woman. Kids? Well, yeah, they're there, but whatever ;-(

Between my mother tearing me down emotionally and mentally and my stepfather demonstrating classic bullying and browbeating (emotionally) into "submission", I never wanted to either be married or have kids...and I haven't.

Very interesting.  I'm sorry you had to grow up that way and I can totally understand how you must have felt.

I don't know if my so-called mother really did want to have kids but it seems more like she didn't.  She was also very interested in being sought-after.

I never felt loved, was never nurtured, and never felt safe.  I hope you at least felt loved to some degree.  I always wondered what that must be like.  But I gave up longing for it a very long time ago.  Smiley Happy

Heart

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt@Moonchilde@NicksmomESQ@jubilant

Forget sensitivity any more!

As an adult I cannot be hurt anymore.

i do not bully others; in fact, I am kind.

But I let no one tread on me or my loved ones.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt I mostly felt tolerated, and later, used. I never felt particularly safe, and I'd have to say I had precious little nurturing ;-(

Loved, I don't know. I guess I was loved, but in my youth and to my 50s rarely felt loved, and never felt protected, or as if anyone had my back; nobody has had my back for a single minute of my life, except my eldest niece.

Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt I mostly felt tolerated, and later, used. I never felt particularly safe, and I'd have to say I had precious little nurturing ;-(

Loved, I don't know. I guess I was loved, but in my youth and to my 50s rarely felt loved, and never felt protected, or as if anyone had my back; nobody has had my back for a single minute of my life, except my eldest niece.

I'm sorry, Moonchilde.  Just know that you aren't alone.  I respect you and care about you because of who you are!

That's what's cool about people online that you get to know, who are just themselves all the time.  You like and respect them for exactly who they are, without physicalities or other superficial stuff getting in the way.  I never even think about the superficial stuff.  I just appreciate who the person presents him/herself to be and after a while you can pretty much tell who's fake and who is real.

HeartHeartHeart

Anywhere you see me online, I'm EXACTLY the same person.   I don't even know how to be anybody else, nor do I have the desire to do such.  Like I used to tell my psychologist - It's hard being me.  Smiley Happy  hehe - she said, I know (my name), I know.   She was awesome.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I think sometimes we get sensitivity and moodiness mixed up.

I certainly have not, they're not even the same thing, IMO!

**********  That's what I meant to say, hooty.  I don't think they're the same thing either.  I guess I should have explained myself better.  I got called away in the middle of posting and am just getting back.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 😻👍🏻🌻

Honored Contributor

I love sensitive people!  They give balance to the world.

@Hooty@chickenbutt@LTT1@Moonchilde, I often read your posts girls and love them!