Esteemed Contributor

I remember my grade school teachers (some who were from back east) saying when the robins pair up to mate, Spring is not far off.  I live here in So CA so we don't have the robins you may have in Ohio.  Nor do we have the snow/rain you have. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

No robins yet, but I heard a woodpecker this morning.  (I'm in CT)Smiley Wink

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

I live in upstate NY and there are no robins yet. They'd be crazy to come here this early. However, something happened this year that I've never seen before. We have Canada geese all over the place. We see zillions of them from spring to fall but never in winter...until now. Yes, some of them migrated south last fall as they always have done but I don't know where these geese are from...way up in northern Canada...or are they locals who found it OK to stay where they were?

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3  Our robins never leave thru the winter anymore and I'm in Columbus OH.  They've just begun to get more vocal and increased in numbers this time of year here.  Love hearing them in the winter.

Respected Contributor

Northern OH:  We've been seeing robins for about a month.  Have also noticed cardinals scouting nesting places.  The gold finches are showing definite yellow now, too.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Robin sighting

[ Edited ]

Can't say I've seen robins.  Was freaked out to see about 8 ducks in my back yard.  I usually have 4 ducks that come by for the summer.  Ducks starting visiting a couple of weeks ago - I thought they vacationed elsewhere.

Southeast Michigan

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

I haven't seen the robins yet, here, in northern NJ but have had our variety of woodpeckers (Hairy, Downy, Red Bellied ) all winter, along with the usual winter birds.  
I did hear a familiar song this morning but it wasn't a robin.
Will be keeping a sharp eye for our messengers of spring!
~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Trusted Contributor

I'm in Maryland, and saw a robin, in the tree outside of my kitchen window, during the first week in January.  Usually I see the first ones in February.  

I think they leave in the fall, but they do come back usually at the height of our winter weather.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

The ones I see are here all winter.  I see them quite a lot.  During our recent tremendous snow storm, I saw a male venture out.  Jumping from branch to branch.  I've seen them in December too.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG  We have both the red/orange and the bright yellow finches and we've seen both at the feeder although our goldens aren't very bright in color yet.  The red ones are here all year.  We have resident cardinals too who nest in the same trees every year.  We've been hearing carolina wrens too.  And of course the robins nest around the house in different trees too.

We have a very large (little) white star clematis that vines up & over our wrought iron railing on the front porch.  After it totally fills out in the summer, we've had robins nest in it and as it so happens the nest is above the mailbox.  Well, a few years ago for a couple of days Mrs Robinson (as we affectionately call her) had eggs in the nest.  We had a substitute mailwoman who disturbed Mrs R and she flew out just as the mail person was inserting mail in the box.  She (mail) freaked out of course.  The rest of the week she chose to deliver our mail in a bad variety of ways - she'd leave it with the neighbors (which we never knew about) or she'd throw it onto the porch floor. 

I finally caught up with the mail woman who brought with her one day her supervisor.  I laid into both of them about the situation.  I even asked the mail woman why she wasn't wearing her pith helmet - she nor the super even knew what I was talking about!!!!  Well, this woman never delivered our mail again - and the super did nothing about the situation.  Good riddens to both of them.  Our regualr guy finally came back!