Esteemed Contributor

I just saw a pair of robins this morning in NW Ohio.  Anyone else see any yet in the Northern areas?

Esteemed Contributor

I am glad you brought this up.  I saw Robins three weeks ago in our back yard.  It was about to snow.  I could not believe my eyes.  Thirteen of them.  I always thought they were a sign of Spring.  So I wrote my friend who is a "bird photographer" and somewhat a nature expert.  He told me the Robins are around all year round.  I don't know whether to believe him or not.  Crazy!  He is not into foolin' me so I am about to check it out with another source.  I live in the woods  on a mountain in Western MD if that helps. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen any yet. I always worry about what they will eat since it is too cold for worms!

Valued Contributor

I live right on the lake in north-central OH and I've seen them all winter.  Most never leave.  

Esteemed Contributor

N E Ohio here...I have only seen sparrows and the 2 woodpeckers in the backyard so far...

Honored Contributor

Robins are here year round in southern Mo.  I'm sure they will be as happy as I will when spring comes though.

Respected Contributor

Have seen them year round in NH also!

Occasional Contributor

NE PA last week! 

Honored Contributor

They are here year-round in SE PA.  This time of year is when they start eating from the winterberry holly; the ground is snow-covered so they're unable to forage their usual delicacies.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Robin sighting

[ Edited ]

I was so surprised the first time I saw one during winter.  Many years ago I don't remember seeing them until spring.  I did a little research and found this about robins wintering. This is in Michigan. 

• Not all robins are the same:The vast majority of robins do move south in the winter. However, some stick around—and move around—in northern locations.
  • Robins migrate more in response to food than to temperature: Fruit is the robin’s winter food source. As the ground thaws in the spring, they switch to earthworms and insects. While the robins may arrive when temperatures reach 37 degrees, this is because their food becomes available not because the robins themselves need warm temperatures.
  • Robins wander in the winter: Temperatures get colder as winter progresses. Robins need more food when it is cold and more and more of the fruit are eaten. Robins move here and there in response to diminishing food supplies and harsh weather. If all robins wintered at their breeding latitude, there would not be enough fruit for them all. So, robins tend to spread out in the winter in search of fruit. Most hang out where fruit is abundant, but some take the risk of staying farther north where smaller amounts of fruit remain.
  • Robins sing when they arrive on territory: Robins sing when they arrive on their breeding territories. Sometimes, robins even sing in winter flocks, due to surging hormones as the breeding season approaches. However, in the majority of cases, robins really do wait to sing until they have reached their territory.

Source: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/american_robins_harbinger_of_spring_or_year-round_resident