Honored Contributor

Re: RE: FACEBOOK

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Surprised me @Shanus that with being a makeup artist and jewelry designer you aren't on Facebook. So many people use it to connect and network.

@Trinity11   No surprise. I'm testing everyone before they enter the house. I only take clients from referrals or women I meet personally....especially now. Networking would bring strangers into my home. I prefer not to do that for makeup appointments where they take their mask off. Mine remains on.

My jewelry commissions are handled the same way...word of mouth. 

Not to sound too "obnoxious", but when fully up and running, I have all the business I can handle. Especially with jewelry, all pieces are one of a kind, handmade only by me...no assistants. The makeup/skincare consultations are also a "one on one". 

I was referring more to the past and not during the Pandemic @Shanus . I frequently see business owners using Facebook to add to their business.

Respected Contributor

I deleted my account about 6 months ago.  (For the same reasons as posted here).

FB takes up too much time.  Surprisingly, I haven't missed it at all.  

There's more negative than positive about FB.  

Honored Contributor

I received a "weigh in" from SIL who's an executive at Microsoft. His advise is to stay clear. When he received his top secret clearance to work on government projects, they instructed him that FB and other social media accounts needed to be closed...immediately and permenently. 

The company felt any info posted and/or read, no matter how trivial it seemed, could be used to follow, gain personal info, tap into your locations, etc. Foreign countries, according to him, are sophisticated with hacking techniques, as are people in our own country. My DD can no longer be on FB either. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11   Past or present, I understand your point about networking. Maybe if I didn't work from home for jewelry consultations, it would be a consideration. As far as makeup/skincare, I prefer that stay a very small business with only several dozen regular skincare clients and makeup by referrals. 

Thanks, though, for your suggestions and input.

Honored Contributor

BIG facebook user......i use it personally and professionally. it is the perfect place for FREE business advertising and connections.

i also help run several facebook groups, including one for a community i have a home in that has over 5000 members right now.

yes, the political posts are dominant right now, but i actually kind of like it. it shows you where some of your friends and stand and it CAN be surprising at times. you really do have to weed through the bs and the truth, the ridiculous to the sublime......and everything in between.

the BEST part of facebook? being able to easily connect with family and friends all over the world to see how they are and to chat with them. in a different time, that was very difficult to do. it was one of the reasons why i first started facebook (along with wanting to monitor my children and their friends on that platform.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein