Honored Contributor

Every retail site or art workshop, etc. states "connect with us on FB". I was a member many years ago, but as a  novice, did not set it up correctly and had friend requests from friends of friends of friends and people I didn't know were reading my pages. I did fiddle around with the "privacy" settings, but finally just signed off when I realized some people used FB to show photos of expensive vacations, parties, political statements, jokes, etc. and it just was not interesting to me anymore.

Have things (content) changed at all on FB and if I decide to join again, where can I learn to set it up with my privacy preferences?

Honored Contributor

I would not choose to sign up right now.  In fact, I am rarely going to FB right now because everything is very political at the moment.  I don't think it's just my friends who are like this, I think that's the nature of what is happening.

Between that and Covid,  it isn't a pleasant place to be anymore for me.

I enjoy looking at peoples' vacation pictures so that doesn't bother me at all.  I have a friend who is a travel agent and she just came back from a fabulous vacay and the pictures were amazing.  I don't get jealous over vacations, new cars, new homes, home remodels, etc.

But of course there are the eye rolling things from those who must forget people know them in real life and know for a fact some of what they are posting is a bunch of bull.  LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: RE: FACEBOOK

[ Edited ]

I would be interested as well to know about Privacy Settings since Facebook now has a new format (which is hard to navigate for me)..  What I do not like was there was no way to stop Friends from seeing when I changed my profile pic.

I only have an account to see who has a birthday (to send greetings) or anyone who is in need (mostly church people).  I agree with you, all I see are people on vacation ... and oddly, people taking pics of their meal just before they devour it....why I ask and who cares.

Trusted Contributor

I Love Facebook and am on all the time.  I have strict privacy settings I an only in a couple of groups and only friend people I actually know.  So for me it's not an issue and in light of the fact that I am not going out, In light of the recent passing of my husband, Facebook for me has almost been a lifesaver.

I have it set up to approve what gets posted on my page

I don't get involved in the political stuff.  I belong to my Pepsi Collecting group, a couple of Christmas groups, a couple of QVC groups and I keep up with friends who live across the country from me.

It is what you make of it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I was on FB very very early.  I had a job at the time where I was a public figure so I was experimenting and did NOT want people to know it was me.

I used another variant of my name that was not what I was normally known by.  I did not post a picture or any personal information and I have NEVER accepted a friend request from someone who knows me. I'm not there to do personal relationships. 

I was one of Martha Stewart's early "friends". LOL!!!  But I use it to see products and follow people I am interested in--such as authors etc.  

NO politics, NO unhappiness on my pages.  NO nagging, NO expectations. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I would not choose to sign up right now.  In fact, I am rarely going to FB right now because everything is very political at the moment.  I don't think it's just my friends who are like this, I think that's the nature of what is happening.

Between that and Covid,  it isn't a pleasant place to be anymore for me.

I enjoy looking at peoples' vacation pictures so that doesn't bother me at all.  I have a friend who is a travel agent and she just came back from a fabulous vacay and the pictures were amazing.  I don't get jealous over vacations, new cars, new homes, home remodels, etc.

But of course there are the eye rolling things from those who must forget people know them in real life and know for a fact some of what they are posting is a bunch of bull.  LOL

"Fakebook" Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze   I'm happy to know I'm not alone on this. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner @Miss Pepsi   That's what I'm asking. How or where do I find out that my privacy settings are set up to block or accept my preferences? So wrong last time. Not sure if signing up again, but would sometimes be helpful if taking classes. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner @Miss Pepsi   That's what I'm asking. How or where do I find out that my privacy settings are set up to block or accept my preferences? So wrong last time. Not sure if signing up again, but would sometimes be helpful if taking classes. 

@Shanus I have NO idea.  Anyone can see my page, but there's nothing on it about ME.  I set it up that way and I do NOT use it for personal contacts.  Only for my hobbies and interests.  It is private because I set it up that way and I do not make it about ME. 

Honored Contributor

They just changed the layout and it sux.