Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

I think I am the only person on the planet that has never had a Facebook.  I never understood it and was afraid I would not know how to set up the proper privacy settings.  

I miss out on a lot of family and friends announcements because I do not "do" Facebook so I find out much later.......

But I am glad I have never had to deal with all of the drama that some of my extended family creates there.  And over all, I am happy with my decision to stay far away from it.  

You are not the only person on the planet who has never had Facebook.  I never have and never will.  Do not see the purpose of it.  Although I get scam emails saying someone has hacked into my Facebook account.  As if!!!!

@4kitties and @kaydee50- Add me to your list!

I thought it was a good idea when it started- for COLLEGE STUDENTS! I told DD in the "old" days when I went to college you could meet someone in the dining hall - especially a cute guy LOL! - and never see him/her again. This way you could find them and learn something about them. When DD was in college they tried "Facebook at Night," which was started to help college students find out what was going on either on campus or in the community. I thought THAT was a good idea too, but it didn't last.

Then they opened it to everyone. I understand why a lot of people, including our own posters here, really like it - to keep in touch with certain people, to talk to people who share an interest, etc. - but I also know there have been problems, and that's what scares me. My best friend from high school has tried to talk me into it, but so far I'd rather talk to her on the phone!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I love FB and have been on it for 14 years. Know all of my "friends" except five ( but they are spouses or children of friends so we have commonality ) and I belong to four groups where we have a common interest (hometown, high school, town I lived in for 24 years and CP).  I lived in Europe and Asia as well, so its a great way to "keep up".  During this political time I have " unfriended"some and most recently put some "to sleep" for 30 days.  Bottom line, FB works for me.

Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I think I am the only person on the planet that has never had a Facebook.  I never understood it and was afraid I would not know how to set up the proper privacy settings.  

I miss out on a lot of family and friends announcements because I do not "do" Facebook so I find out much later.......

But I am glad I have never had to deal with all of the drama that some of my extended family creates there.  And over all, I am happy with my decision to stay far away from it.  

I have a cousin never had it...or Instagram or any social media. Doesn't feel she's missing out on anything. She's probably right!!

I got on it years ago, when FB was brand new and SO's daughter was planning a wedding. She told us all to sign up for FB and that is where we would all keep up with the plans etc. But after that I never used it hardly at all for about 7 years...maybe checking in once or twice a year. I started using it more when I worked for a small shop where I handled their FB page for marketing, and needed the app on my phone to take pics of the store, events etc, and upload them onto their page. I also promoted some independent work I was doing on FB. There it comes in handy as the best free marketing.

Only (still) accepted a handful of friends and relatives I hardly see or live far from...i only have about 45 "friends" on FB. Whereas people I know have 100's of superficial FB friends....having to sift through tons of vacation, children, political things from people I was never really friends with but might have worked with 15 years ago or gone to high school with...no. I tried not to insult too many people who asked to "friend" me that I ignored...honestly, with those I didn't accept it we weren't really close friends so I guess it didn't matter. My SO "didn't want to insult anyone" so he has hundreds of connections he could care less about. lol. We both threaten to just get off it daily but haven't yet! There are a few people I only connect with there, and sometimes it's fun to do so. I'm comfortable with my privacy settings...you can figure it out pretty easily, though if you felt funny I'd have someone who knew how to use it walk you through. But the thing is...FB is constantly making algorythm changes no one is aware of which effects who sees what etc, and often we don't even know it for a long time! 

Honored Contributor

I am addicted to my facebook newsfeed. A good thing? Probably not😄 But it is entertaining. 

Respected Contributor

I had FB for awhile but recently stopped it and am glad I don't do it anymore. I got so disgusted with some relatives & FB friends constanly posting all their political cr*p and thoughts & views, which is especially rife right now. I don't understand why some people think we all want to know  (I don't)  their political views on everything!

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal   I have never joined either.  Everyone in my DH's family lives on it and uses that for notifying people of family get togethers, except when a gift is involved.  Gift needed, you get an invitation in the mail. Needless to say, we miss alot of game nights etc. Ok, by me.

One place I worked, again, everyone was on it.  They were he** bent on set up an account for me. I told them no.

Not on Instagram, Twitter either.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I love FB and have been on it for 14 years. Know all of my "friends" except five ( but they are spouses or children of friends so we have commonality ) and I belong to four groups where we have a common interest (hometown, high school, town I lived in for 24 years and CP).  I lived in Europe and Asia as well, so its a great way to "keep up".  During this political time I have " unfriended"some and most recently put some "to sleep" for 30 days.  Bottom line, FB works for me.

@patbz I am laughing because I have done the exact same thing-put them to sleep for 30 days, and a couple of people I unfollowed! It was just too much! I enjoy Facebook, because I have alot of family all over the country and its a good way to keep in touch and re-connect with them. I am only friends with people I actually know and want to stay in touch with.........Only my "friends" can see my page and photos as well.....

Honored Contributor
I’m enjoying Instagram much more lately. FB is easier for me to go down the rabbit hole of political garbage and outrageous idiots and it increases my stress. 😡 I’ve put a lot of things on snooze for 30 days. I still go there because I have friends who post as well as a few groups that I follow that are important to me.
My Instagram feed is consistently cleaner - less polluted with stressful stuff and have to block.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner @Miss Pepsi   That's what I'm asking. How or where do I find out that my privacy settings are set up to block or accept my preferences? So wrong last time. Not sure if signing up again, but would sometimes be helpful if taking classes. 

@Shanus 

Sweetie, not hard at all.  On the far right, the late choice is a down arrow.  When you chose it, there will, be "Settings and Privacy".  That's where you can chose "Friends" or "Friends of Friends" (which I don't do) as well as other choices.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   I'm not reading such great things about FB...second thoughts.