Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Working with criminals, early on we were always advised to guard our personal info on social media and I do, allowing no one to see my "stuff".

So I have a question. A few days ago a friend in Europe sent me a message via Messenger and I of course responded to her. Today I saw her message and my reply on my feed. Are those messages not private? Do they always show up on our feed?  If so, holy I'm blushing batman!

I use Messenger nearly every day, and I've never had that happen.  I've never heard of it happening either.  Sounds strange!

It's never happened to me either.  Not sure how that happend.  

One time I did comment to someone on a FB post they made and my comment was sent to the person via Messenger.  I wasn't sure how it happened but the next time I went to comment on someone's post, something popped up about sending it via messenger.  That must have happened the first time and I didn't read and just clicked yes.  I didn't make that mistake again.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I've heard issues with hacking in and getting personal info. Any opinions on that?

If you have tight security controls it shouldn't be an issue. I have been on FB since 2009 and have never had any problems. Like I said before, I don't have anyone I don't really know as a friend and have friends only, or only me as my security settings.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus I was on FB very very early.  I had a job at the time where I was a public figure so I was experimenting and did NOT want people to know it was me.

I used another variant of my name that was not what I was normally known by.  I did not post a picture or any personal information and I have NEVER accepted a friend request from someone who knows me. I'm not there to do personal relationships. 

I was one of Martha Stewart's early "friends". LOL!!!  But I use it to see products and follow people I am interested in--such as authors etc.  

NO politics, NO unhappiness on my pages.  NO nagging, NO expectations. 

Wow Sooner, from your post you sound famous!

Honored Contributor

Privacy settings can be tricky and FB recently changed them and that made things harder.  It's a balancing act for me, I do want to connect with the people, retailers, groups that I choose to engage with but I don't want a bunch of outside stuff.  I get a ton of merchandising stuff.  One thing I learned is to NOT go around "Liking" and reading everything that shows up in my feed.  That's how we get innundated with junk.  You'll never see stuff from people unless you "Liked" something from them and that's like opening your front door and inviting them in.  The tricky part, for me, with privacy settings is that I now don't get anything from some FB "friends".  I guess I went too far.  The same thing happened to my friend, she was wondering where everyone went and what happened was she needed to redo her privacy settings.  The next time my one of my daughters visits, I'm going to ask them to redo my privacy settings.  But your FB 'friends" are free to post whatever they want to post.  If you are friends with someone and they are braggers or they post 30 times a day or they have FB fantasy lives where everything is love and perfect and out this world;  you will get all that stuff.  But you don't have to read it.  I like the groups I am in.  I belong to a decorator group, a couple of beauty groups.  They are closed groups and I really enjoy talking with those ladies.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus   After being on FB for 9 years I deleted my account a few months ago. I got tired of seeing people's pets, where they went for vacation, what restaurant they just ate it and, of course, all the politics.  I am so glad I got off and will never return. I have more important things to do with my time.

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab I did the same thing!  Was so tired of the constant political cr*p and other stuff. I don't mind the nice pics of a relative's vacay or family, but the stuff some post is ridiculous.  I have some relatives who seem to post 24/7.   I want to ask , good grief, do you even have a life outside of FB?  And as a previous poster said, some post any & everything they do practically telling us when they go to the bathroom. Why do people think we need to know all that stuff?

Honored Contributor

@KKJ @chrystaltree   I was on Instagram for a month...the same things. All relatives' photos with full makeup in photos and think they took pics in hotel rooms & lobby's and said they redecorated...just looked way off to me. 

Honored Contributor

Surprised me @Shanus that with being a makeup artist and jewelry designer you aren't on Facebook. So many people use it to connect and network.

Honored Contributor

Re: RE: FACEBOOK

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

Surprised me @Shanus that with being a makeup artist and jewelry designer you aren't on Facebook. So many people use it to connect and network.

@Trinity11   No surprise. I'm testing everyone before they enter the house. I only take clients from referrals or women I meet personally....especially now. Networking would bring strangers into my home. I prefer not to do that for makeup appointments where they take their mask off. Mine remains on.

My jewelry commissions are handled the same way...word of mouth. 

Not to sound too "obnoxious", but when fully up and running, I have all the business I can handle. Especially with jewelry, all pieces are one of a kind, handmade only by me...no assistants. The makeup/skincare consultations are also a "one on one". 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11   I forgot to mention, I'm able to do my jewelry appts. on ZOOM. The client and I can discuss what they're interested in, metals, stones, sizes and price and I can show similar pieces I've made for reference. 

This may be the way of the future long after Covid is over for "small" artists who don't sell retail.