Respected Contributor

I hate to see them with small children or their dogs. I was with my GF in a restaurant and we could see a young man  sitting outside with his dog and belongings  It was a cold October day.

She got up  and went outside and handed him $20 and said make sure your dog gets fed. He thanked her and said he couldn't sit there too long, so must have had a history of loitering there. I thought that was so nice of her and I was proud to be her friend. 

Contributor

Two days before Christmas, I went to our local TJX store and a man out front asked me to give him 'change for a hot meal'. I passed twice and then thought better of it. since it was Christmas and I thought, what better time to give?  So I went back and said "I'd be happy to buy you a slice of pizza or some hot soup", knowing what could be gotten at that shopping plaza.

He turned to me and said "get me a swiss burger".

I replied "I can get you a slice of pizza or hot soup",

He replied "I just ate".

So much for needing a hot meal.

Honored Contributor

I really hate to encounter panhandlers.  I don't mind giving, but hate to be taken across.

This summer there was a 20 something man standing at the light leaving Walmart"s parking  lot with a sign.  He leaned into my window when I stopped at the light

I asked him if his girl friend threw him out and he had no place to stay.  He had a duffel bag in the grass.  He just laughed and asked how I knew.  I didn't give him money.

My granddaughter who was with me asked how I knew....He had an expensive haircut.

Another time there was a family of two little girls, a boy and their parents outside of a discount grocery store with a sign.  The kids were clean and dressed very nice.  Only the  kids spoke English.

I could see the shame on the parents faces as I looked into their eyes.  I knew they were desperate and my heart went out to them.  I gave them all the cash I had and wished I had more.

i had a young boy approach me at the grocery store check out line and asked if I would buy him an apple.  I told him yes, he could get as many apples as he wanted and I would pay for them.  He chose two apples.  

He said he was hungry but wasn't allowed to steal.  I gave him a few extra dollars.  He was excited and happy.

I try to help when I can.  I normally give away my gift cards people gift me.  It makes people happy

Once, someone in front of me at a fast food drive through paid for my items...I was shocked when I got to the window and found out.  That made my day.

Honored Contributor

A lovely deed of empathy and care.  Shows a good heart.

Honored Contributor
I think we should follow our heart and do what is right for us. It was a kind, compassionate, and thoughtful gesture.
Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz 

If it warms your heart and you felt the need -- God Bless You and others who care.

(FL has panhandlers on every street & corner as someone noted here it's hard to determine the "true" in need vs. scammers -- a shame☹️)

E5BD8EC9-C135-4FF6-BF10-496C40701580.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

We don't have many where I live. I rarely carry cash, but if I have it I'll give it. I don't care what they do with it.

I went to the Dollar Store with my grandson and a messy looking guy was in front of me buying his groceries. He was $7 short and I told him I'd give him the cash. He seemed shocked and started to explain that he would normally be at work but had just gotten off quarantine for covid. He looked like he had been sleeping in a car.

When we left the store my grandson said "that was so nice of you to help that man, gram". It was a teachable moment I hope he remembers for a lifetime. Anyone can fall on hard times.

Trusted Contributor

Personally, I don't tell what I do. I feel to talk about it takes something away from it.

No offense to anyone here that's just the way I feel....

Honored Contributor

This is off topic now and one of those pay it forward and look what I do posts!!  There should be a way to just post with no comments allowed so it doesn't turn into this!!   It seems OP was just trying to send a message to others to count their blessings! 

Respected Contributor
Posters do what their head or heart tells them to do. There is no right or wrong answer. There are organizations that help the less fortunate. Those are the ones I give my money to. That is where my donation will do the most good. I do not directly give money to panhandlers. Having seen them head to the liquor store when they have enough money , and the second shift switch over at the traffic light intersection. I’m very skeptical.