Trusted Contributor

I count my blessings every day - don't need an encounter with a panhandler to do so.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I give and sometimes I don't.  I just let my heart guide me.  That sounds strange but it works for me.  I never give to a young person as there are many jobs going unfilled in our town so I figure they can't pass the drug tests.

Just recently I gave to a older man who had the sweetest dog with him.  I also stopped to pet the dog and talk to the man.  Later than night the more thought about it, I felt bad that I didn't give him enough money as I only gave him a few dollars.  The next day I went looking for him and couldn't find him.  I told DH about it and where I saw the man and told him if he sees him to give him a ten for me.  DH did see him a few days later and gave him my ten.

Sometime I probably make a mistake about who I give to and how they are using the money (not for food) and I think well whatever it takes to help them get thru the night and don't feel I wasted the gift.

In the parking lot of a restaurant we used to frequent on Sundays a woman came up to us and said her car ran out of gas down the road and could we help her with gas money. We did not and watched her walk away to a car parked in another area of the parking lot and was picked up.  That one was a scam for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

More often than not, I give money to panhandlers.  It does my heart good. 

Respected Contributor

In my area there is only one panhandler "on duty" at each major traffic light intersection at a time. I learned from a homeless volunteer it is because they have monthly scheduling meetings.

Honored Contributor

While I applaud the OP's generosity--it is Christmas after all!!!--I would never give a "street person" $10.  Here in Chicago we have Chicago Shares, vouchers that people can use at a supermarket or at a Subway sandwich store.  They come in booklets of $5.  That is the most I would give to someone in the streets and never in cash.  

Esteemed Contributor

Count me among the jaded!  When I was eighteen and had a summer job in downtown D.C. I used to daily walk by an old man who had no legs ( he was on a wooden platform on skate wheels).  One afternoon I walked by him just as he was wheeling his platform to a waiting Cadillac!

Trusted Contributor

I agree... you never know if someone is scamming you....but I give when I can if it feels right.     I also like to "pay it forward".  When going thru a drive thru lately...the lady in front of me paid my bill.  It was very thoughtful.   So...when I was going into Walmart later in the day..... the same man had been there for weeks collecting donations for Salvation Army.   I always felt sorry for him because he sat there day after day in the cold wind, rain, and weather.  I decided to ask him if I could get him lunch and he was very happy to have hot chocolate with his meal.   It felt good to pay it forward.  

Occasional Contributor

I am so glad you followwEd your heart. Sometimes I give and sometimes not depending on what my heart tells me at the time. I always hope that they use the money for something good and not drugs or alcohol but I figure once I give it to them it is theirs to do what they want with. I hate the thought of anyone being hungry or cold but I know from volunteering that even if you give them food or gift cards then if they want drugs they just sell what you gave them for money. I give because my heart tells me to and pray I have helped in some small way. I don't have much but more often than not I have more than them .  The shelters are full and many jobs don't pay enough for housing. It's not my place to judge when I don't know their situation. Again thank you for following your heart

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1 

I love to pay it forward! We have a big military presence in my area and I love to buy them lunch, when I'm out having lunch!

I just tell their waitress that I'm picking up their tab, don't point me out, but just tell them 'another customer' said, 'Thank you for what you do'!

The look of appreciation on their faces is priceless, as they look around the restaurant!

I like to do the same for firemen and first responders, what would we do without them?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes it just feels right and I give, especially to the elderly.  I also have paid it forward in a drive through and help those in the grocery store who may be short on funds for necessities in the check out line.  

I may have been taken advantage of but I choose to believe I helped.