Honored Contributor

Re: Open Concept

[ Edited ]

I don't mind a somewhat Open Concept, like Kitchen open to Family Room, but I don't like a totally Open Concept. I still like a separate Dining Room.....I also still prefer a 2 Story which is what we have right now, and my Husband is trying to get me to go for a Ranch Style, as we get older, he said we aren't going to want all of those stairs......

Which I am sure we won't....

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I don't mind a somewhat Open Concept, like Kitchen open to Family Room, but I do like a totally Open Concept. I still like a separate Dining Room.....I also still prefer a 2 Story which is what we have right now, and my Husband is trying to get me to go for a Ranch Style, as we get older, he said we aren't going to want all of those stairs......

@CANDLEQUEEN  Same here...would rather not have stairs in next house when we move. Once you go over 1800-2000 sq. ft., ranch style difficult to find since requires more land. Less expensive to build “up”. I wouldn’t mind master on 1st floor & a few guest rooms upstairs.

Respected Contributor

I guess it depends on the house and size etc.  I have an open concept where the kitchen, dining room and living room are just one open room.  I really don't like it.  There is not wall space.  I like more separation.  It the house is very small it would not be good to have so much separation because you might feel like a mouse in a maze.  I guess with children open concept allows you to watch them wherever you are.  I think back as a child I would have hated it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I predict ‘open concept’ is a passing trend.  There’s a reason young families have a separate play space for the kids (I.e., toys constantly all over) and some people want an area for themselves- not open to all...

i am so glad I have my space, and DH feels same. 

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a very tradional old house - 3 floors, very small rooms, each room self-contained.  

So, this is probably why I admire open floor plans.  I love a large expance for the main living area.  Kitchen open so that the cook can be involved with everything and everybody else --- not cloistered off by herself.  The kitchen flowing into the dining area and then into the living room is just such a free and lovely idea to me.

I do not have this.  I instead have a much smaller version of my old childhood home.  It is very comfortable and comforting, but not would I would choose given other circumstances.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Open for me.   I've lived here for 27 years and would never want to go back to walls.   I've also had a lot of guests tell me how comfortable they are in my house.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

The wall behind my kitchen sink is open into the foyer but I can see into the living room and out thru the sliding doors to the lake behind the house. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I don't mind a somewhat Open Concept, like Kitchen open to Family Room, but I don't like a totally Open Concept. I still like a separate Dining Room.....I also still prefer a 2 Story which is what we have right now, and my Husband is trying to get me to go for a Ranch Style, as we get older, he said we aren't going to want all of those stairs......

That is a big reason we went to a ranch. Also as my parents get older this will allow them to stay in their home longer. My mon loves how easy the open concept is to clean. It takes no time at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The open concept seems to be waning in interest among some buyers....I have a good friend who is a realtor...she said buyers no longer want home theaters....too restrictive in how you can use it for other things....and she is having fewer buyers asking for total open concept...they just want a kitchen/ family room together and many don't want formal LR or formal DR now...builders here are selling new homes with the dr space now being called a home office. Our house is not open concept; I don't like standing at the front door and being able to see every room in the house...and that is what many model homes used to be like...not as much now here....it may be different in other cities or states.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't care , only that I have a roof over my head. I can live in a small space, as long as it has working utlitlies, bathroom and wifi.