Honored Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Open concept or closed, our house is just way too big for us now...Thinking we only want to move once, from here to condo in gated community w/ health care, assisted living available. At 70 (OMG on Friday!!!!), I’m 10 yrs. younger than everyone else there.

It’s a real predicament! Keep discussing what to do. If we move to smaller house, will be moving again before long. DH is 74, still works full time.

I'm 63!  DH retired last year at 63!

@Hayfield  DH works full time during tax season & rest of year 3/4 time. Loves what he does and his practice grew over last 45 yrs. His “baby”. Now downsizing by type of clients he takes. Doubt he’ll completely retire...ever.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Open concept or closed, our house is just way too big for us now...Thinking we only want to move once, from here to condo in gated community w/ health care, assisted living available. At 70 (OMG on Friday!!!!), I’m 10 yrs. younger than everyone else there.

It’s a real predicament! Keep discussing what to do. If we move to smaller house, will be moving again before long. DH is 74, still works full time.

Think long and hard before making this move. This was our predicament. We are 68 and 63. We sold our home and left a great little neighborhodd  and area where we had good friends our age. Moved to be be closer to daughter and granddaughter.  Husband thought that we needed to move while we were still both in good health. We are in a community while not technically for retirees most here are 70s and 80s.  I feel like we moved 5 years too soon. There is no way that I could move again though I am sorry that we moved when we did. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Open Concept

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

No, I don't love it and wouldn't want to live in it or maintain it.

My brother's home is 'open'. 

On the main floor there isn't a single door between kitchen, dining, family, and living rooms.

The open staircase leads to an open upper hall that looks down to the first floor. If you leave the upstairs (bedroom) doors open, then the entire house is 'open'.

All I see when i look at this design is lack of privacy, with all sounds and smells rapidly traveling throughout the entire house, and I shudder with horror imagining trying to heat it!

Since heat rises and the entire first floor and upper hall are one big space, you have to be able to afford to heat a lot of rooms you aren't using just to be comfortable using one area.

We had a home with a floor plan similar to your brothers. But we also had zoned heating and cooling. The separate thermostats allowed us to keep each floor at a comfy temp. Newer homes are much more energy efficient.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs

I grew up in Public Housing Projects. Brick apartments which were 2 story/small separated rooms, and very long connected buildings. That was most of my being born through most of 14 years. I won't go into how we lived as that would be novel length. Suffice it to say, I have no reason to want to live in anything close to resembling those Pubic Housing Projects.

All of our homes with my mother after we were able to escape to a real home, were all single level. Not ranch style for sure, but every room(other that the garage and basement) were on the same level.

Our present home is a 3200sq.ft True Ranch, not open concept, but all on 1 level. Before our basement was flooded with sewage, it was a complete separate living area that added almost another 3000sq.ft. to our homes size.

Were we ever move, or build a new home? Open Concept would be both our choices, and in a True Ranch style home.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs wrote:

Does everyone everywhere now days love this open concept in homes?  We grew up in a 3 bedroom,  1 bathroom house and did just fine without open concept. I am probably in the minority but I like having separate rooms in a house.  On the shows on HGTV almost every one wants open floor plan.

I really don't care for open concept.    Too noisy when you have a houseful of people.   I grew up in a house like you describe and when entertaining, most people gravitated in  smaller groups in different areas of the house.   Made for a better gathering, instead of everyone milling around in 1 big area.   Plus there's no place to hide, LOL!!

You may be having a conversation with someone, then from across the room, someone inserts themselves, or tries to get your attention.    I don't get the idea that I'm isolated in my kitchen, friends & family are always drifting in & out, chatting or helping.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Don't confuse real life with tv shows.  I know several people who have built new homes in recent years and while they opted for either an open kitchen/dining area or open livingroom/dining area...everything else is a separte room.  I see open floor plans and lofts and they feel livable to me.  People need the ability to go into a room, close the door and keep the everyone out.

Well, I have to agree with you here!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I grew up in a house that had a open kitchen/family room and then we had a seperate living room. When we bought our house the kitchen was closed off to the family room. I would prefer a seperate dining room off the kitchen and the living room like my Aunts house.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like having one big room.  My great room (combination living and dining room) is approximately 33'x19' with a cathedral ceiling.  I, however, chose not to have it open to the kitchen.  My great room always looks clean and neat that way and we don't have the noise of humming kitchen appliances, running water, or whatever  other noises you get from a kitchen.  If we do hear them it is distant.  To me it makes for a much quieter living space.

Esteemed Contributor

I like kitchen and family room as one, but my brother has an open concept home and I wouldn't want it if he gave it to me free.....the dining....living and kitchen are all one big room.....just not my taste

Respected Contributor

My pet peeve about open concept is when the the kitchen sink is facing the family or living room.

It may be old fashioned but I simply MUST have a window above the sink! Heart

Muddling through...