Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I predict ‘open concept’ is a passing trend.  There’s a reason young families have a separate play space for the kids (I.e., toys constantly all over) and some people want an area for themselves- not open to all...

i am so glad I have my space, and DH feels same. 

You're right, why have open concept when you need a separate play area, office, man cave.   I was thinking about that earlier.   I like to watch TV in relative darkness, maybe one small lamp burning in a corner because today's TVs are so reflective, even the ones with a relatively dull finish.   Can't do that in open concept, so I would need a separate "media room".

Regular Contributor

nope dont like it  , sometimes I am pretty nosiey in the kitchen so hubby wouldnt like that if napping of watching tv.  also on tv the younger group always say oh I can watch my child while I am cooking , duh what every happen to play pens ....

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess I wonder what area of the country you live in because here in SW florida 9 of 10 builders are building only open concept right now.

Honored Contributor

I love having a large more open kitchen, kitchen eating area,  family room. But I also want that area at the back of the house.  Up front I want the office, dining room and living room where people come to the door and are greeted.   That's one of the best things in the world for comfort in living to me.

It's also important to have the master bedroom suite downstairs, and  ifpossible a downstairs guest bedroom too.  

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I guess it depends on the house and size etc.  I have an open concept where the kitchen, dining room and living room are just one open room.  I really don't like it.  There is not wall space.  I like more separation.  It the house is very small it would not be good to have so much separation because you might feel like a mouse in a maze.  I guess with children open concept allows you to watch them wherever you are.  I think back as a child I would have hated it. 

@chiclet  My kids were grown & on their own when we built this house, but when the granddaughters visit, it’s nice that I can be in kitchen & still keep an eye on them playing/watching Disney movie in sunroom/family room. (The house where I grew up had all the rooms separated.) What stinks for me in my semi-open plan is, as an artist, like someone mentioned...no walls, so very little area to hang my paintings.